Do You Buy In Bulk Or Only Shop When The Need Arises?

Discussion in Food & Drink started by Flowerpower • Feb 10, 2015.

1. Flowerpower

FlowerpowerMember

Threads:
    I live alone and only buy groceries when I'm about to run out of something. I've been told that buying in bulk reduces expenses; but I wouldn't know, I also don't see the point of buying say two bags of flour or rice and risk them expiring in the pantry. I hate throwing away food.

Can anyone who shopped like me then started buying in bulk tell me how it compares? Especially foodstuff.

2. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Over here, canned goods and tissue are bought in bulk, because they will be surely consumed after quite some time. As for the kind of food that is prone to expire, we never buy that. So I think buying items that you continually use in bulk will save you money in the long run.

#2Feb 11, 2015
    Last edited: Feb 11, 2015
  3. JoanMcWench

JoanMcWenchActive Member

Threads:
    Agreed. Some things should be bought in bulk. Like if they are sustainable & they are at a massively reduced cost. By all means. Other things I like to pick up on a weekly (sometimes daily) basis. To maintain a certain level of freshness.

4. Lushlala

LushlalaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    That's the general rule I set for myself. I tend to buy bulk for non-perishable goods, like toilet rolls and cleaning materials. As far as food goes, I much prefer to buy on a weekly basis just to get it as fresh as possible. Of course, it's not really that fresh, but that's as good as it gets.

5. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    For non-perishables like rice, I can buy in bulk. For other types of food, I'd rather buy the little I need to see me through the week because I HATE anything that has been frozen. Good thing though where I live, food is cheap almost all year round so there's absolutely no need to buy in bulk.

6. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I buy in bulk if the expiration date in over a year, though sometimes I haven't gotten around to using everything. In general if the price is good I will buy in bulk and plan my meals around what has been bought. I do buy frozen and it doesn't bother me at all and I often cook in bulk and then freeze my dishes.

7. tipoywizard

tipoywizardActive Member

Threads:
    For soap, shampoo and other non perishable items I usually buy in bulk. But before buying anything I usually look for the expiration or the Best before logo especially for canned goods. For other foods I usually buy when needed only like vegetables and meat.

8. DreekLass

DreekLassWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Years ago we used to have a regular weekly or fortnightly bulk shopping trip. But these days, we mostly just buy when money is going well, or when things need to be restocked. Like the kids when they go to school - they need food and treats for lunch times, and if we are running low, we will do a quick shop and stock up on those things, before Monday morning, when the kids have school.

9. missbishi

missbishiWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Non-food items are always worth buying in bulk, as long as they are products that will actually get used. I'm not that keen on stockpiling groceries though, I'm too concerned about "use by" dates. Stuff like pasta and rice is generally OK but I tend to go off the thought of eating something if it's been in the cupboard too long.

10. valiantx

valiantxActive Member

Threads:
    Non-perishable foods are the best to buy when it comes to bulk foods, however, any type of foods can be bought in bulk but be sure to use it or sell it soon because you don't want to attract insects and animals to eat rotted foods. Canned and dried foods are good to buy in bulk because they last very long. Next is water or liquids of sorts, it's needed much more than foods in the long run but does perish faster if not sealed properly. Bulked foods are cheaper in price, but the quality are mostly lower or average.

11. Waynefire

WaynefireActive Member

Threads:
    With the weather being so unpredictable where I live, I tend to buy in bulk and store up in the middle of winter. However, if it is summer time, I try to live out of my garden and freezer. So I guess you would say I am a combination of the two.

12. kate23

kate23Active Member

Threads:
    My family and I buy a lot of things in bulk as it's cheaper and sometimes more convenient. We shop at stores like Sam's Club and Costco and stock up on the things we buy there so that it'll last for a month. Those stores are out of the way for us so we don't want to drive there but once or twice a month. Plus, they tend to sell most things in bulk anyway, so we don't have much choice.

13. Sunshine

SunshineActive Member

Threads:
    I do buy paper products in bulk, like paper towels, tissues, etc. I also occasionally buy food in bulk, especially when it is a good deal. But I have learned though for some reason, when I have 5 cans or boxes of something I got a good deal on, for some strange reason it starts to lose it's appeal and I get really tired of it. Then it ends up sitting around my pantry. So I don't really know if buying in bulk is a good idea for me personally.

14. galmal

galmalMember

Threads:
    For me, buying in bulk doesn't usually pay off. It's just me and my husband, and we aren't big eaters. I found that any kind of perishables go bad before we are able to eat it all, even freezing things, the food gets freezer burned before we can use it. Unless it's a really good deal, like 50% off, we don't buy in bulk. Also, I found going to the "club" stores actually cost us more - because I couldn't resist the temptation and would end up buying things I normally wouldn't. For me, the best way to save money is to make a grocery list before going to the store and stick to it!