Do you buy in season and then freeze?

Discussion in Food & Drink started by H.C. Heartland • Sep 12, 2014.

1. H.C. Heartland

H.C. HeartlandActive Member

Threads:
    Many of us try to buy fruits and vegetables when they are in season and then freeze them for later use when they are not as expensive. This can be cheaper than buying canned or frozen goods during the off season time of year. However, for those of us with little freezer space, we have to be choosey about the way we do it. Do you have an tips or advice for freezing your fruits and vegetables. Recently, I have discovered that it helps to freeze as an example, my strawberries - separately THEN put them in my ziplock freezer baggies. In this way we not wasting space on frost that builds up and causes the fruit or vegetable to be in chunks which don't move after they've been frozen. Secondly, I have found that chopping up the veggies, bananas, etc helps to save space. What about you? Any ideas?

2. AresBlade

AresBladeActive Member

Threads:
    Absolutely! Great advice about freezing things separately, you'll get much better freezing performance (it'll taste better when you thaw) that way. Also, if you're freezing bananas and don't want to chop them, always remember to take off the peeling and only freeze the edible parts.
    I love to buy or pick local strawberries and blueberries in bulk and then freeze them to last all winter. Very few things beat strawberry smoothies!

3. prettycolors

prettycolorsActive Member

Threads:
    Fruit I don't freeze, but it's an interesting tip nonetheless :D What I do freeze are vegetables, and plenty of them. I like making soup ready vegetable mixes - carrots, onion, parsnip and sometimes potatoes. All are finely chopped, placed in ziploc bags and stored in the freezer. Then in the winter when I'm making soup I have all the vegetables I need in the house and cook ready. It's cheaper than buying store made mixes and a lot faster since I don't loose time shopping.