Do You Buy Magazines?

Discussion in Books, eBooks & Audio Books started by Zyni • Mar 31, 2016.

1. Zyni

ZyniWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I guess magazines fall under the category of books... sort of. Do you still buy any of them? Do you still continue any magazine subscriptions? I may pick up an occasional one if something grabs my interest, but I rarely buy them any longer. I've let all of my subscriptions go, for some time now.

I can pretty much find anything I want online, for free, so I really don't see the need to buy them any longer. I mean, some people like the physical copy or want to keep it on hand. I don't really like to keep them around though, so it's just as well if I look stuff up online instead.

2. Pat

PatWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I get my magazines from the library , they are older but they are still go. I read the current issue at the library if there is something I want to read. My magazine subscriptions were one of the items I cut from my budget when my income was reduced.

3. Krissttina Isobe

Krissttina IsobeWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Me too I go to the library for magazines. There is a senior citizen on called Generations locally that my Mother loves to read and it's free to pick up at the library or our Love's Bakery Thrift shop too. I find that at the library there are current and used magazines free to take too that I enjoy. We had a subscription of Women's World that we enjoyed way back, but finances aren't what they were and cutting back makes the library an enjoyable source for magazines.

4. morgoodie

morgoodieActive Member

Threads:
    I bought magazines when my children sold them through their school. Most of them went unread and are still in the plastic they came in. I plan on selling them as I just do not have time to read them. I have no more interest in reading them. I think going to the library is a good way of reading them even if they are the older issues. Now you can read them online but I do not think it is free or you may have to have a subscription.

5. Corzhens

CorzhensWell-Known Member

Threads:
    From what I remember, the last magazine I bought was Animal Scene simply because we have an article there about our dogs. When the internet came into fashion with the websites of newspapers and magazines, we had developed that habit of surfing those sites and forgot all about buying the print version. But sometimes my husband still buys Readers Digest for purposes of traveling, so he has something to read on the plane.

My morning ritual is to read the 3 major newspapers online and during my slack time in the afternoon, I could browse some magazines.

6. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    There this one magazine I always buy. They publish 30 horror stories [written by new writers] each month. Since it's hard to find good horror stories to read each month and my appetite for them can't sated by the few I find online, I have to buy this magazine. For any other magazines that have stuff I can find somewhere on the net . . . those I don't buy.

7. MrsJones

MrsJonesActive Member

Threads:
    I let my magazine subscriptions go but I still buy magazines that I like sometimes at checkout but mostly from thrift stores that sell them. I prefer to handle reading material than reading magazines online. It's also handy when I want to refer to something I read I can just reach for it.

8. Zyni

ZyniWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Yeah, that makes sense. I hadn't really given much thought to specifics. If it is something very specific that you are interested in, I think it would be worth it.

In general though, I can find nearly anything I want online from gift ideas to recipes to health information, craft ideas and DIY projects, money saving, and so much more. There is just so much available that personally I don't really need to buy magazines any more.

I did used to pick up a few at the thrift store once in a while, since they were only ten cents. Now, I don't see many offered there any more, so I guess other people stopped buying them and donating them.

9. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I still buy some magazines when they have free beauty gifts on the front. Recently I bought two; Harpers had a free face cream worth £28 on the cover, and Glamour had a free face mask worth £12, so it was cheaper than buying the products which I liked and have used ( Elemis and Balance Me), so in these instances, magazines can be a bargain.

10. Lushlala

LushlalaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I used to buy magazines almost on a weekly basis. But in the end I wasn't even reading some of them! Luckily, my last work place for whatever reason, installed a huge magazine/newspaper stand in the lobby and started offering us all these magazines like Glamour, Grazia, Harpers Bazaar, Elle and Tatler for free! They even got us some of international newspapers like Chinese and Italian newspapers! From that point on, I stopped buying magazines regularly. I was really gutted that I had to leave the majority behind when I moved countries because they would've taken up too much shipping space. I now rely on online versions.

11. showup

showupNew Member

Threads:
    I still buy magazines to date for the information they contain.They are expensive but considering the information the give its all worth it.I mostly purchase entertainment and sports issues.I am so fascinated with the entertainment industry that I cant help myself an just buy them.They also help me pass time during my free time as that is the time I go through them.

12. prose

proseActive Member

Threads:
    I get free magazine subscriptions by earning points from Recyclebank.com. Points are earned by watching short video clips, reading articles, and taking quizzes related to living an environmentally-friendly life. Magazine subscriptions are easily earned, and can be for hard copies or digital subscriptions of the magazines. Recyclebank has quite a few to choose from, for both men and women. I obtain free magazine subscriptions for myself, husband, and as gifts for family members this way.

I have also used the public library to check out magazines. I would not pay to have a magazine subscription, as they are easy to obtain for free or can be viewed online.

13. Zyni

ZyniWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Sweet, thanks for the share. I'm going to check out recyclebank myself now. What other types of rewards are offered?

Yeah, I do enjoy some of the magazines, so that would be a better option for me than spending money out of pocket. Using them as gifts is another good idea.

I will have to see what my library has as far as magazines go. It's a small library, so I don't think there is a lot to choose from. I know they offer a large collection of Reader's Digest magazines, but I'm not sure what else they have. I'm usually there for books or to use their printer, but looking through the magazines is a good idea too.

14. prose

proseActive Member

Threads:
    Hello, @Zyni@Zyni. Recyclebank.com is a great place to earn points for magazine subscriptions, but there are other rewards that points can be redeemed for. Besides magazine subscriptions, points can be redeemed for eco-friendly products, coupons for restaurants and products, and can also be used to donate funds to a charity of your choice. I usually use my poinys for magazine subscriptions. Points are pretty easy to accumulate by simply taking quizzes, reading about environmentally friendly practices, and watching short video clips.

15. GemmaRowlands

GemmaRowlandsActive Member

Threads:
    I have one magazine subscription that I pay for yearly. It's £12 (which works out as £1 per issue) and I love the magazine, so I will pay it. However, it is the only magazine that I will buy. There is a lot in it, and just reading a couple of pages per day (which is all that ever have time for) means that the one magazine lasts me the month. I do think that on the whole they are a waste of money, so I don't understand people who buy loads of them on a weekly basis, because you can get pretty much exactly the same stories online.

16. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I love reading magazines and I do enjoy having something physical I can flip through when I'm reading and I would definitely still buy them regularly if only they were cheaper but unfortunately they do add up to quite a bit and given that I can get pretty much the same information online and more I just can't justify it to myself enough and I think I'd much rather just use the money I save there on something else. I guess if I had that much extra income I wouldn't mind splurging once in a while but for now budget is too tight.

17. explorerx7

explorerx7Active Member

Threads:
    In the past, I used to subscribe to many magazines. However, the internet has now facilitated me to have so much knowledge at my fingertips that I don't have to necessarily rely on magazines for information, therefore, my magazine readership has been somewhat scaled down.

18. DiscountDreams

DiscountDreamsActive Member

Threads:
    Sparingly. There are no adblocks for magazines and I hate the manipulative marketing endless cycle. It is just like paying to watch someone else's commercials half the time.

19. cocolgooh

cocolgoohActive Member

Threads:
    I'll only pick up magazines now if they're free. Some supermarkets here have a free magazine that has coupons in so I'll pick those up in the hope of getting a coupon for something I'd use. Otherwise though I mostly look up whatever I'm interested in online because buying magazines is expensive. They're often more expensive than books are, and have far less pages too. Last time I looked there was several that expect you to pay £10 or more here for maybe 50 pages if you're lucky.

20. obliviousme

obliviousmeActive Member

Threads:
    I honestly can't remember the last time i picked up a copy of a magazine, i just don't know what's the point anymore when you can pretty much find anything online and more. Time is changing fast and sadly everyone seems to move on to the digitalized version of things.