Do you buy mechanical keyboards?

Discussion in Computers, Electronics & Gadgets started by mistymi • Mar 14, 2014.

1. mistymi

mistymiActive Member

Threads:
    If you use a mechanical keyboard what do you like about it? What are the advantages? I've tried a few but the keys are too high for me and I don't really like the noise they make so I've always stuck with basic keyboards. There are a lot of people who like them though. Are mechanical keyboards something you have to get used or use a bit more to understand why they're good?

2. tinyfang

tinyfangMember

Threads:
    I definitely prefer mechanical keyboards over regular ones. The sound is dependent on the make and quality, but yes, they are generally louder. They are better for those who 1) use it for hardcore gaming and/or 2) for those who prefer a more solid feel when pressing the keys. Mechanical keyboards last longer as well, since each key is its own independent stem and the overall frame is built sturdier. Where as regular keyboards share one massive rubbery membrane.

3. ohiotom76

ohiotom76Well-Known Member

Threads:
    Interesting, I had never heard of keyboards being described as such. Initially when I read the title of this, I though you were referring to physical keyboards vs. on screen keyboards - but after looking around a bit on Google I saw what it meant. I had "mechanical" keyboards at most of my previous jobs, and with my older computers - but I much prefer the lower profile modern keyboards, similar to what you would find on a laptop - with the keys only slightly raised. The keys on mechanical keyboards are much deeper, requiring me to lift my fingers higher when typing, which leads to more fatigue in my hands. Also my finger tips get more worn out from scraping against the edges of those keys when typing.

One of the main reasons I stick with Lenovo laptops lately is due to their keyboards. I love the designs of their keyboards as well as the individual keys themselves - which are low profile but have a slight curve to them to still make them more tactile and help you avoid hitting the wrong keys.

4. Thejamal

ThejamalActive Member

Threads:
    I really like mechanical keyboards for gaming. The feel of the keys are really important to me. Even though they are a bit louder than the newer keyboards, the comfort is what I look for most in a keyboard. They're also a little bit more durable, which is crucial for button-mashing gaming.

5. Hedonologist

HedonologistActive Member

Threads:
    No I don't because I would never find a real use for them. I have tried them and found them to be enjoyable to work with, but the cost can be twenty fold what you might pay for a very basic model. I'm not a regular gamer anyway so it's not something I would invest in.

6. SireStryder

SireStryderNew Member

Threads:
    I have a mechanical keyboard and would recommend it over a standard membrane one. If you are concerned about the noise take note that there are different types of switched that determine how loud they would be. Overall though mechanical keyboards are better because they have lower failure rates and will last longer if you take decent care of them. If you are a gamer you will have faster response time and some people even have better typing skills using them. If you want more information about mechanical keyboards you can read over this guide.

7. prettycolors

prettycolorsActive Member

Threads:
    I'm using a mechanical keyboard to type this :D

I like the noise they make a lot since it makes me feel like a fast typist. To press the keys it's also a pleasure on a mechanical keyboard, they offer some resistance and that's good. I also own a keyboard that I can detach the keys from so it's easily to clean under the keys and between them. This detachable face can be replaced with a gaming one where the keys are distributed differently for easier access. And a last point would be the price of a mechanical keyboard, which is really good in my opinion.

8. mikelouis

mikelouisActive Member

Threads:
    I must say that mechanical keyboards are still popular these days. Not many people are for the idea of having a membrane keyboard. Some people are just hard to leave the past behind them. Personally I prefer using them since they are sturdy and will not break easily as compared to the other types of keyboards.

9. deathbyprayer

deathbyprayerActive Member

Threads:
    Well for me it doesn't matter what kind of keyboard I'm using, I'm more concerned about the negative space. I'd rather have that Mac-kind of negative space on a keyboard. But getting back to mechanical, yes. I'd prefer mechanical keyboards, they're very durable which is great since I am PC gamer and I tend to abuse my keyboard a lot, also, the sound they make is like music to my ears, I don't know, but I feel weird if the keyboard doesn't make any of that 'tack' sound when pressed. The only thing I hate about these types of keyboards, is that they tend to get stuck easily.