Do You Buy Multiple Newspapers?

Discussion in Coupons started by LindaKay • Apr 28, 2014.

1. LindaKay

LindaKayActive Member

Threads:
    A lot of people buy multiple newspapers in order to get more coupon inserts and coupons. This might seem like a good idea, but it can get awfully costly! The newspapers here on Sundays are $1.50, but I know they cost more than that in many places. In fact, some of the ladies that I know who coupon in other areas have to spend as much as $3 per paper! So, I can see why that might be a pretty big expense, particularly on weeks when there aren't many good coupons.

I personally buy my inserts. I am able to get 25 of each insert for $12, which includes shipping. I think that's a pretty reasonable price, although it would be nice to get a better deal. Do you buy inserts? Individual coupons? Lots of newspapers?

2. Sweetkymom

SweetkymomActive Member

Threads:
    I used to buy multiple newspapers but stopped that real quick. It was getting ridiculously priced for just paper! I now order multiple sets of coupons and/or recycle bin dive. I can usually get 200 papers for about an hour and a half a time. Much cheaper and is local for me.

3. LindaKay

LindaKayActive Member

Threads:
    I can't go recycling bin diving here. They keep those places behind lock and key around here! I just like ordering them online. I think it's awesome that you're able to get 200 papers in less than two hours! I wish I had that many, that's for sure!

4. Jessi

Jessi<a href="http://www.quirkycookery.com">QuirkyCooke

Threads:
    How do you buy the inserts only? I have never heard of that before, but it'd be great!

For me personally, I don't usually buy enough at once to make it worthwhile to have multiple coupons for the same thing anyway. Years ago, though, yes, I would buy 2 or 3 at a time and it'd be worth it....but not more than that.

5. LindaKay

LindaKayActive Member

Threads:
    I know a girl who I met through a Facebook couponing group who sends them to me. I'm not sure how she gets her hands on them -- I haven't asked. She doesn't actually sell the inserts...the cash is for shipping and her time. ;)

I do buy things in multiples if they are things that I know we will use and that won't expire. We have tons of storage space, and I like to buy things when they're free or very cheap so that I don't have to spend too much money on them later.

6. largecow

largecowMember

Threads:
    I buy the Sunday newspaper only for the coupons! I will admit to that! Haha! I used to live in downtown Chicago and all the apartment complexes get free coupon booklets. Then I moved to the suburbs and I dont know how to get those booklets for free now! My mother in law gets her redplum coupon booklet everytime. Do I have to sign up for that or do I have to buy the subscription??

7. LindaKay

LindaKayActive Member

Threads:
    That sounds awesome that you have been able to get free coupons from a free newspaper, etc. We don't have that here! As for your MIL's red plum coupon booklet, I don't know. I only thought that RP coupons came in the paper. She's a lucky lady if she gets booklets!

8. davbopol13

davbopol13Active Member

Threads:
    I have bought multiple newspapers for my daughter! I would sit and clip those coupons for her as my room and board,lol! She and I lived together, and I was staying at home at the time. So I would do all the clipping to help out.

9. whnuien

whnuienActive Member

Threads:
    We don't get much coupon from the newspaper here I so rarely spend money to buy it. My friend is working in backpackers lodge though and we live very close to them. They would have a newspaper every morning delivered to their place so I just borrow their newspaper by the evening after everyone read it :D

10. ezio

ezioBanned

Threads:
    I had also buy multiple newspaper for getting new online coupons and offers. And its really worth it, because I am always buy anything on online store and this coupons are helps me to save my lots of money.

11. HectorHegg

HectorHeggBanned

Threads:
    You can find coupons for newspapers. Try the following steps:
    # check to local school, if they have a recycling program.
    # Check with the gas stations and convenience stores around town.
    # As you previously have a newspaper subscription, ask your delivery person.

12. sthrngypsy

sthrngypsyActive Member

Threads:
    I used to buy 4 coupons, total $8 per week but some coupons I had too many of and others not enough. So I started to buy the inserts. There are several online sellers who sell them. I have also gotten some off Ebay before. Right now I don't have a car and my friend is not about to take me dumpster diving for coupons. She'd be very bored.

13. Danyel72

Danyel72Active Member

Threads:
    I do buy multiple papers. On Sundays I have 2 delivered to my house. I know of a lot of people that get many more but I just don't like to stockpile for an army plus like you said it can be expensive. :) Basically, I tailor my shopping trips around products that are buy one get one free so I have a coupon for each product and that helps me to maximize my savings. In the long run it is well worth it when you calculate your savings. :)

14. barkingsquirrel

barkingsquirrelMember

Threads:
    I buy a couple of newspapers on Sunday and print coupons at home as well. I've heard that people buy inserts only, but I have no clue how they go about it. I would do it that way if I knew where to get just the inserts.

For people who do extreme couponing or have a large hoard of food that they know they won't be able to go through before it expires, I've always said they should think about donating some to a church group, an after school program or even a school food pantry. There are so many kids who don't get enough to eat over the weekend. An extra bag of food to take home from school on Friday afternoon would make a world of difference for a lot of children.

15. VictorSalza

VictorSalzaMember

Threads:
    I wish I could buy inserts only. I’d do that if I could. I buy several Sunday papers. It can add up easily doing so. But, the savings is well worth it. I also feel like I’m supporting a good cause. After all journalism is a dying business it seems.

16. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    We don't have enough coupons in our newspapers to justify multiple purchases unfortunately. I've always wanted to do what people were doing on extreme couponers but sadly there is no such scene for our market here. The only types of coupons available for us would be ones you could purchase online and maybe a few ones you could come across through promotions but as for regular findings in magazines and newspapers they are scarce.

17. MindyT

MindyTActive Member

Threads:
    I don't like to buy newspapers or magazines for environmental reasons. I think that we are wasting too much paper. Nowadays, you can get coupons downloaded to your mobile device or ipad. Then the store just scans them. That's easy. Plus, no store in my area will double coupons. So, the name brand items are still alot more money. Just buy generic/off-brand items. It will save you on paper, save you money on newspaper subscriptions, and save you time. Generic foods taste the same and cost less.