Do you buy phones, computers, tech on the very first day of release?

Discussion in Computers, Electronics & Gadgets started by dieselfit • Nov 22, 2013.

1. dieselfit

dieselfitActive Member

Threads:
    Recently PS4 was released and it wasn't too cheap. I mean if people waited a few months the price would go way down. Just like PS3, the PS4 would be cheaper with some time. That being said, some electronics can be very expensive on the launch day. What do you guys think about this? Do you wait until the price goes down or do you just buy it as soon as you can?

2. pandandesign

pandandesignActive Member

Threads:
    No, I don't buy any electronic that releases on the first day. The reason is that electronics usually cost very high when they first come out, which then the price will lower down after a few months or so. This is what I have learned from other people when they tell me that do not buy any electronic on the first day they come out. However, it depends on what gadget though, which I would buy it on the first day only if I really really like. For example, the ONE gadget that I bought on the first day it came out was the Samsung Note 8.0, which was quite a very nice tablet.

3. rossonomous

rossonomousActive Member

Threads:
    Although I am a big tech guy, I do not buy things on their release. I know for a fact that most of the time these things have a highly scaled starting RRP and they will drop fairly swiftly. This is mostly the case with technology due to the fact that it is always advancing.

4. Aladar

AladarWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Consoles usually don't drop in price until about 2-3 years into their life cycle, so, no, it wouldn't. That said, I wouldn't buy a console on launch date because of their proneness to faults with RMA being very difficult. Other tech, that would depend. I did buy my phone on the release date, because it's not like they can be THAT faulty..

5. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I don't think I've ever bought a gadget at launch. I get that some people are enthusiastic enough to do it, I guess I'm just not that much of a tech fan. I've been tempted a few times, though, but those gadgets eventually turned out to get bad reviews, and I guess I learned my lesson from there.

6. Exsheel

ExsheelNew Member

Threads:
    I've never bothered picking up Technology on Launch day, solely for the fact that most of the products have major problems, which only end up getting fixed later due to patches, firmware updates, so on. Though to be fair, most of the things I purchase are only computer parts, which doesn't require anything like that. However, with how much variety there is in that market, there's almost never any hype for "Newly Released" products, unless it's related to Video Cards or Processor Units, which can have problems due to certain games not fully supporting the Processor or the GPU.

7. FatesWing

FatesWingActive Member

Threads:
    I never find myself in line to buy a product the day that it is released. I definitely look forward to new phones and electronic gadgets, but I know there is always some glitch or problem that is discovered within the first month or so depending on the product so why not just wait? Plus I like to hear and read the reviews that come out from other lovers of the product also. Then lastly, I know that the price will drastically drop if I just wait a little while and practice some patience.

8. jbepp

jbeppMember

Threads:
    I never do this. I always like to wait and see if the product meets my expectations so I wait for reviews and unboxings. First day buyers also have to deal with many bugs and hotfixes, and I'd rather avoid those.
    Not only that but I also like to wait and see what kind of product the other companies will make.

9. erronousRogue

erronousRogueMember

Threads:
    Never, ever. I make it a point to wait at least a month with making any purchases, and I firmly hate the concept of "preordering" something before release. I find that giving a month for the dust to settle and people to review the product properly is almost always a good practice. Be it a smartphone or a console release, if it has any problems chances are you'll know in a month.

It's also worth waiting for the newer model of that particular line to arrive, because it typically means that the one you're trying to purchase will get bumped down in price, often by a serious amount.

10. themarting

themartingActive Member

Threads:
    for the most part, no. i try to wait until the price drops

11. dieselfit

dieselfitActive Member

Threads:
    Consoles don't drop in price but you can easily find them at used prices if people sell their own. Yeah I agree some consoles are extremely faulty on the first day of release, even during the first month. I heard Xbox One has one too many problems that has yet to be fixed.

12. dieselfit

dieselfitActive Member

Threads:
    It is defintely worth the wait. Imagine the savings of time and money. The price may not drop but you might find a deal here or there. Sometimes you can find them at lower prices if they are used!

13. JosieP

JosiePWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Nope, never. I generally stay behind a little lol.. safer that way,.

14. andrew172

andrew172Active Member

Threads:
    I usually wait a while till after it's been released till I buy it. I want to be able to look at reviews and make sure that what I'm buying really is worth it. Newer versions then tend to get released which deal with many of the problems that the original had and if you wait longer you can usually getter a better version of the same product for a cheaper price.

15. BlackSolaris

BlackSolarisActive Member

Threads:
    Maybe because i learned about the value of money from very soon, or i just have another things in mind, i always prefer to wait until a price drop and / or a review on the product. You may never known when something isn't that good.

16. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I always wait until the price goes down before I purchase a gadget, since I don't mind waiting at all, and the savings are very much worth it. And even if I had lots of money, I still wouldn't buy a gadget on the 1st day of release, since you'll never know there might still be a few bugs with the device, just like the Oculus Rift for example.

17. amy005

amy005Active Member

Threads:
    I never do, first of all if I were to buy something like that, I would be spending more then I would like to spend. Also, if I buy something the day it is released then I don't get a chance to read reviews about it since there wouldn't be any yet. I like to really research things so I find the highest rated item that performs well. I would rather wait then get something I end up not being satisfied with and end up being out a lot of money.

18. Parker

ParkerWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I never purchase tech when it's first released. I always take a wait and see approach. For software, I wait to see what type of bugs appear. Nothing is perfect when it's first launched.

All other types of tech, I still wait until the price settles. I love tech, but I don't always have to have the latest and the greatest.

19. tweety23

tweety23Member

Threads:
    I usually don't buy things on the first day of it's release. I don't really care about being the first person the have a particular item. I much prefer to wait until the price goes down if I really want the item and it's too expensive for me at the time.

20. pipps

pippsActive Member

Threads:
    No, mainly because I have to wait and save up for an item whenever it is released. However, if I had the money I would walk straight into the store on the day of release and buy it!:)