Do You Buy Store Brand Products?

Discussion in Food & Drink started by nwitt • Apr 22, 2014.

1. nwitt

nwittActive Member

Threads:
    I'm curious how many people purchase store brand products. I feel that 95% of things taste exactly the same, so I have no problem doing it. I honestly have noticed a difference with a couple of things, such as the super value brand of Mac n Cheese. It's nowhere near the quality of Kraft or store brand. What are your thoughts? Are you embarrassed to buy store brand?

2. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I tried buying store brand stuff once and I never will again.

The fruit juice I bought had an odd flavor that made it disgusting to taste. I poured it all out because no one else would take more than one sip of the horrible stuff. So for me it never is a question of being embarrassed to buy a store brand product but what experience taught me that keeps from making any such purchase.

3. DDavies

DDaviesActive Member

Threads:
    We buy store brands and generic brands all the time. Some of them are a waste of money, most really aren't. Some of them are actually from overproduction of name brand products or "mistakes". Mistakes like all of the stems weren't removed during the processing of green beans over at the name brand factory. Rather than throw the batch out, they contract with a store or generic label and they "sell" the green beans. I live near Campbell's Soup and have neighbors who work there. Any "mistakes" or overproduction are treated this way.

If we buy foods that are a little bland, I have plenty of herbs and spices to doctor them up a bit.

4. Peninha

PeninhaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Come on Denis, brand store stuff is the best, the quality is pretty similar and the prices are way better. Sure, there are some products we just know that are not good, but this can happen with brand store products or regular products, so we just have to keep an eye for the good stuff. ;)

5. AB91000

AB91000Active Member

Threads:
    Yes. I buy store brand products all the time.

Especially the sodas. i find that the taste of store bran sodas is extremely comparable to name brand sodas. The only difference is the store brands cost half the price. You cannot beat that deal. Walmart sodas cost 69 cent. Sometimes i wonder how these companies make any money at all.

I sacrifice a little quality of taste to save 50% on my purchase.

6. lizzief79

lizzief79Active Member

Threads:
    Most things I will buy store brand as I think they taste exactly the same. There are a few things that I prefer a different brand of though. Buying store brand saves me a lot of money on my food bills. I have four children so groceries are always expensive.

7. clairebeautiful

clairebeautifulActive Member

Threads:
    There are some store brand items that I happen to like better than the "name brand" counterpart. For example, the Aldi cottage cheese ("Friendly Farms") is the only cottage cheese my family will eat.

That said, because I'm a couponer, buying store brand does not usually save me money. When I shop sales and pair things with coupons, I always find the name brand items to be the cheapest. For me it has been a matter of changing my shopping habits. I used to only buy knock-off cereal, for example, which I admit is sub-par to name brand in almost every instance. Well now that I've changed my shopping habits, I have not spent more than $1 on a box of cereal in over a year, and very often I'm finding it for less than $0.50 a box... mostly all General Mills and Kellogg's because they most frequently have coupons available.

I've also learned to broaden my grocery shopping horizons. Drug stores, for example, have very strange and surprising sales on many items I typically buy in a grocery store (eggs and milk, cereal, granola bars, nuts). Again, pairing drug store sales (which often come with extra rewards) with coupons has saved me tons of money and I still get to eat the "expensive" stuff.

8. nwitt

nwittActive Member

Threads:
    See, I actually notice a difference with the sodas. Sodas and mac and cheese I can't do! lol

I guess it just depends on your taste preference. But I agree, if something is a great deal in store brand - it's worth trying.

9. IcyFirefly

IcyFireflyActive Member

Threads:
    I am! I have switched from brand name products to store brand products for years now. After reading the labels, and found that they are pretty much the same thing, I have no hesitation in buying store brand!

10. ABC123

ABC123Member

Threads:
    We buy store brand all the time to save money. However, there are something's that don't cut it. Cereal has to be name brand. Tried store brand and it tastes bad.

11. Aladar

AladarWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Yeah. Store brand is usually just repackaged brand name food, so there's no reason not to. Not enough people know this, actually, but do take a look at the manufacturer the next time you have a store brand in hand.

12. ImariFutari

ImariFutariMember

Threads:
    I don't care what brand it is most of the time, but a lot of the time, there's a difference. For example, some Ketchup's are sweet, while others' are disgustingly salty. Some apple brands are really waxy and dry, while others are sweet, juicy, and crisp (for example, Granny Smith apples). But when it comes to things like Peanut Butter and pasta sauce, I don't see much of a difference.

It depends on the product, I suppose.

13. MrsJones

MrsJonesActive Member

Threads:
    There are some name brand products that I won't settle for less. After trying the store brands I returned to buying the name brand. It balances out what I save on store brand products I spend of the name brand that I prefer.

14. Peninha

PeninhaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Yes, I do buy store brand products and many times I go on purpose to a certain store to get their brands because the quality is good and usually the price is far better, so they are great bargains.

15. isabbbela

isabbbelaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Yes, all the time! Specially cleaning products and supplies. I find that they are way more affordable and not worse in quality. I will also buy food like milk, bread and more primary stuff, which I don't find are bad quality either.

16. Peninha

PeninhaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Actually cleaning products I don't buy that much, I do prefer cereals and yogurts for example because they are really cheaper and they taste exactly the same thing, I don't think the quality is inferior.

17. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I buy store brand for generic items or ones that I know that I won't notice the lack in quality as much. For other items where I know I'd see the difference and I know I'll just force myself to finish I'd mostly just opt for good brands instead. I find I buy mostly store brand for items that I know I'll not notice much like paper towels or certain types of food but for luxury items like sausages and bacon or cheese I'd much rather just get the quality items and not take the risk of being left unsatisfied.

18. goldenmaine

goldenmaineActive Member

Threads:
    There are a few good products that are generic and store brand. I buy some of these if I have already tried them or I have heard first hand reviews of the certain item from people I know. The ones that I have never heard of or I have never tried are a no go for me. I always stick to a brand that is proven and has high quality standards. I change to a different one if they are recommended by others and when I try them, they are indeed of equal quality to the branded one, even if they are cheaper. It is practical to use cheaper brands but it must not compensate for the quality of the product which may disappoint its consumers.

19. GemmaRowlands

GemmaRowlandsActive Member

Threads:
    I think that more often than not, the store brand items taste exactly the same as the bigger brand items, so there is absolutely no need to be paying more when it is exactly the same thing most of the time. However, you do have to be wary that sometimes there might be items that aren't quite up to standard, so you should certainly watch out for these. There are some items which I won't compromise on, but to be honest, most of the time I am happy to use store brands, because they're just as good!

20. gata montes

gata montesActive Member

Threads:
    Much as I would agree there are many store brand products that are on the whole good value for money and I do buy quite a few myself - particularly staples like pasta, rice, pulses, grains and flour - I have found - as quality and value for money are more important to me than brand - that there are some everyday household products and grocery items - especially when it comes to flavor and consistency - where its way more cost effective to stick with a branded product - as although a little more expensive initially - they generally workout more economical in the long run - as they don't need replacing as often.