Do you buy used, clearance & sale, or regular priced clothing?

Discussion in Fashion & Apparel started by lrd913 • Oct 5, 2014.

1. lrd913

lrd913Active Member

Threads:
    I try to shop at thrift stores for the majority of my wardrobe. I've found a lot of good deals on t-shirts, shorts, jeans, and workout clothing. I've even found some brand-new with tags at my local Goodwill. When I can' find items I need or am looking for at a thrift store I usually look for clearance or sale racks. Shopping regular price is my last resort. I just don't want to pay $40 for a top when I can find a similar one for $4.

I wish my area had a consignment store. I would shop/sell clothing there in a heartbeat. I've found good stuff at the one near my sisters home in the past.

What do you do?

2. mariee

marieeActive Member

Threads:
    I don't shop at thrift stores because the ones around here never have plus sizes. I buy most clothes new, most of the times on clearance or sale, or with a coupon, or a combination of those. But also regular price if I really want it because of the few plus size stores items sell out fast. Sometimes I get used stuff on eBay but it's only if it's a really good deal because the shipping to PR can get expensive.

3. insertkittyface

insertkittyfaceActive Member

Threads:
    I sometimes shop at thrift stores, and I've found some amazing clothing there, even some really expensive brands. I think that's one of my favorite things about shopping at thrift stores, is you just never know what you're going to find. I mean, it's really all luck, but hey, if I can save money, I'm all for it. and there's a couple of them in my area, so I'm set!

4. forextraspecialstuff

forextraspecialstuffActive Member

Threads:
    I don't really shop at thrift stores or consignment shops because there aren't any good ones around me. My clothing is a real mix of prices and brands. When I go shopping I do tend to first check the sale and clearance sections because they tend to have great prices on current styles--I have noticed more and more stores running great sales in season the past few years to stimulate sales. I will buy items full price if I really like them but it is not my preference.

5. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I buy all of those clothes that you mentioned above, especially if I need it or I really want it, then I have to buy them at full price because I have no choice, lol. But if I'm just casually browsing and I stumbled upon used clothes online, then I buy them as well. Thrift stores are not common in my area, so I only get to buy 2nd hand clothes online nowadays.

6. chiofthenorns

chiofthenornsActive Member

Threads:
    I love shopping for thrift clothes because they have nice designs that you really won't see anywhere else. You can even repair some to make them look better. I also like checking clearance/sales because some stores put on sale those clothes that I wanted before.

7. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I always check the clearance racks as you never know what you can find. I found a cashmere dress for $30 in Banana Republic and in Marshalls I often find branded yoga pants for under $10. In thrift stores I tend to buy things like coats, jackets, scarves, belts and vintage pieces. I look in the men's section as they often have jackets and sweaters that are worn in and good quality especially leather jackets or wool coats.

I rarely pay full price for anything except underwear and those I get on special.

8. lrd913

lrd913Active Member

Threads:
    Clearance racks are my first stop when I go into any store looking for clothes, I've found great deals and my closet shows it. I look in men's sections too, the jackets and sweaters are always more comfortable and they go with everything.

My local thrift store has a great deal on Wednesdays. They offer 50% off everything. Everything is color coded by tags, so it's usually all but one color included. I've stocked up on my winter wardrobe and throughout the year with that particular deal.

I really like TJ Maxx, Target, Ross, and Marshalls for good clearance and sale deals.

9. lrd913

lrd913Active Member

Threads:
    I know! I love finding unique things at my thrift store. Especially items you can tell are older, they are great to work into outfits. I sometimes buy older dresses and convert them into styles I will wear. I'm glad that I learned to sew from my mother because it comes in handy for this. I've made strapless dresses, halter dresses, shirts, skirts, and more from what I've found at the thrift store. Also, I can wear the dresses in winter as well if I layer them. I've saved a lot of money doing this.

10. MikeyPaine

MikeyPaineActive Member

Threads:
    I'm not a big thrift store person, but I do go to places a lot like Marshall's or TJ Max.If I go to a store that's more expensive, I start in the clearance racks and go from there.

Higher quality clothes don't always have to be expensive, and I firmly believe that.

11. DonnaIReilly

DonnaIReillyActive Member

Threads:
    Yes, I buy all those clothes mentioned. I love walking round charity shops for jeans, why not its a great way to save money. You can find clothing that's hardly been worn, if you wash them, who knows, well you guys now do! :D. I don't buy shoes or bras or anything like that second hand, but things like t-shirts and jeans I do.

12. sthrngypsy

sthrngypsyActive Member

Threads:
    I don't ever pay full price for anything. I don't buy things that aren't on sale/clearance or at the very least I don't have a coupon for 25% off or more. I don't have much luck finding good clothing in thrift stores for plus sizes. There is a really competitive market for plus size clothing on Ebay though so that is where a lot of my really nice clothing has come from. I have an amazing Italian sweater I got on Ebay. I also have gotten a pretty good amount of Peg Lutz clothes from Ebay (her clothes are expensive, like $300+ for one item), but oh so gorgeous.

13. mythman

mythmanActive Member

Threads:
    The condition 'my income' is in right now, I also frequent the GoodWill Store (or whatever other low-price options I can find).

But if I were 'in the money' (i.e. had a good-enough job that I could buy whatever-I-want 'on credit' and know that I'll have enough to cover my credit-card bill), I'd go to higher-class places whenever I felt like it ... for the good of the market-etc.

Oh, What a Good King Am I! :cool:

14. prettycolors

prettycolorsActive Member

Threads:
    I buy most of my clothes used, it's cheaper and I tend to find more diverse clothing with better designs (plus, the thrill of the 'hunt', searching in thrift stores is something I like very much). I don't have anything against buying new but stores tend to follow fashion trends so buy there and you end up looking like the rest (sorta). Sure, if I find something I like and need I buy it on the spot - be it new, used, on sale or at full price.

15. Jake

JakeActive Member

Threads:
    As a guy, I always find it hard to look for items I want when they are on sale. I end up shopping at full price when I need something right away. Shopping for clothes online can be a big chore because I will have to research if it is true to size. I will only save a few dollars on original price, but it is a lot more convenient to see and try on the items in person. I spend a lot of money on clothes. I have tried thrift shops, but you will have a tough time looking for a pair of nice khakis without a visible stain. Nearly every item there has been rummaged through and it is why they get even dirtier.

16. Danyel72

Danyel72Active Member

Threads:
    Yes!!! I actually find myself buying them all. I always head to the sale rack first in all of the stores I shop in. If you can get a bargain why not? I have a big family and we try to save whenever we can and this is a good way to do that. I love consignment stores as well. I have been very lucky finding great bargains whenever I go. I just cross my fingers and hope it will be a great day shopping!!

Danyel :)

17. JessiFox

JessiFoxActive Member

Threads:
    I've never shopped at a thrift store, though I probably would. I haven't paid for used clothing but I do have some friends and family members that will swap things around- I know they take good care of their clothing and free is free, you know? ;). I always try to go for clearance, sales, coupons, etc. I just can't get over how ridiculous the full prices tend to be even for the most simple clothing items anymore. I don't want to pay 40+ for a single shirt or pair of pants, and let's not even get started on dresses or shoes.

18. lrd913

lrd913Active Member

Threads:
    The thrift stores in my area have a decent plus size section, but it's not as big as it could be. I understand completely. I've found a good amount of deals through eBay as well, though I try to buy more than one item from sellers if I can. If they bundle shipping I'll buy more often.

19. lrd913

lrd913Active Member

Threads:
    I saw a white t-shirt yesterday for over $50.00. It had a small pocket on the breast and a hole on it. That was crazy to me. I wouldn't even pay $5.00 for it. This is why I buy most of my clothing through thrift stores or on clearance, the prices are crazy otherwise. I don't have tons of money and I don't want to spend a fortune on clothing that I might not wear all the time.

I do wish my area had more than one major thrift store. I'd kill for a good consignment store in my area because the clothes are usually better quality and in better condition.

20. ericalasinger

ericalasingerNew Member

Threads:
    I used to only shop for affordable clothing that was on clearance, in brand new condition. Unfortunately, you get what you pay for and a lot of these items were not high quality and they would only survive a few cycles through the washer before they would start to fall apart. Lately I have gotten into the habit of buying the expensive designer brands, but purchasing them second hand. Even though the clothes are previously loved, I am finding the quality is really fantastic and I really enjoy having some nice designer pieces for a fraction of the cost. There are tons of websites out there that offer consignment items, but my favorite by far was called "Vinted" (which also is an app). It lets you shop for items in other's "closets" and you can upload photos of clothing items you would like to sell also. It's mostly women's clothing, however I see the occasional menswear item. Honestly I don't think I'm going to go back to paying full price for clothes after discovering this.