Do You Buy Used Clothes?

Discussion in Fashion & Apparel started by nwitt • Apr 2, 2014.

1. nwitt

nwittActive Member

Threads:
    How do you feel about purchasing used clothing? Will you shop from Goodwill, Plato's Closet, or other used clothing stores? I know some people who will only purchase gently used items. I have gotten a couple of things at Goodwill, but I find it takes a lot of digging to find something I like because there are so many styles of clothes there. I have had a lot more luck at Plato's Closet because the styles are more relevant to what I like. I am in my mid 20's though, so I am thinking I will need to start looking elsewhere as that is more a teen/young adult store.

What are your thoughts?

2. nash22

nash22Active Member

Threads:
    I have worn hand-me-downs before when I was younger. But I do not feel comfortable buying used clothing I prefer them brand new. It's something about not knowing who wore them before. I think it's kind of germ thing with me, I don't know.

3. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I buy used clothes all the time because:

-They're cheap.
    -You can get clothes that haven't been worn at all at ridiculously low prices.
    -There's lots of variety to choose from if you visit a vintage store/consignment shop, etc.

4. nwitt

nwittActive Member

Threads:

I can understand that. Maybe instead you would want to consider trading clothes with friends each season - this way you know exactly who wore the outfit before you!

I will often trade tank tops with my girlfriends. They are sick of theirs and I am sick of mine :) It works out!

5. Miaka_M

Miaka_MActive Member

Threads:
    When I was younger I would get hand-me downs from my older cousin, but I don't think that I would buy used clothes. For one, my family is a different story because I'm pretty sure that I know how they'd use the clothing and they're like brothers and sisters to me. If I were to buy second hand clothing I wouldn't know who owned it, how they used it, where it's been, etc. I'd rather have new clothing and you can get some really good deals regardless of the store. I got a pair a $6 Hollister Jeans once and that was amazing!

6. thriftyme

thriftymeMember

Threads:
    I like to buy used clothing at thrift stores and customize it to fit my personality. Sometimes I will add/remove sleeves or adjust the hemlines, add details like appliques or crochet trim, etc. That way I can always have something new (to me!) that everyone else doesn't have. It's a fun hobby for me that isn't too expensive.

7. stacyje

stacyjeActive Member

Threads:
    I dont mind about wearing hand me downs, I feel like I give my clothing away some times and Im no different than the other person. Now I am picky on whom I get them from. which I think we all are at some point.

8. nwitt

nwittActive Member

Threads:
    That's really awesome. I wish I was crafty or knew how to sew. I've even done a little sewing in school and was horrible at it, to be honest lol. Bu that's a great way to make an item of clothes truly yours :)

9. sarz

sarzActive Member

Threads:
    No I just don't feel comfortable wearing somebody else's clothes. I know that it saves money but I would rather buy my own. I swap clothes with my friends and would wear things they and my family have given me. But I have never bought any second hand clothes.

10. deathbyprayer

deathbyprayerActive Member

Threads:
    Yes I do sometimes, but not too often. I only buy used clothes If I came across one that I really like or if I'm in desperate need of new clothes. And it feels a bit weird knowing that at some point in that clothes timeline, someone wore them and sweated on them, I mean sure I wash them, but still. But I don't mind it that much, but most used-clothes store I came across offers prices that are just a few dollars below brand new.

11. nwitt

nwittActive Member

Threads:
    I never really think of it like that, but I guess a lot of people do lol. I guess even if they weren't washed, you could wash them 2-3 times before wearing them yourself and they would probably be fine.

It does depend where you shop. Like Plato's will do a summer deal with things start at $1. I've gotten mank shirts for $1-4. I've even got a couple of summer dresses for $5-6. So you never really know.

12. thriftyme

thriftymeMember

Threads:
    One way to find deals on used clothing is to go to local, non-chain thrift stores. Usually, churches and local charities run these local shops and the prices are way below the chains such as Goodwill and Salvation Army. Also, flea markets are good for finding children's clothing. Since I like to use bits and pieces to customize my outfits, I am always on the lookout for an interesting fabric or embellishments, no matter what type of garment or household textile it may currently be. So, flea markets and garage sales are good places to look and usually cheaper than the chain thrift stores.

I do try to buy things that can be bleached to cut down on any fears about germs. I also like to run these used textiles through a hot dryer to sanitize them. Those two things will kill virtually anything, I think.

13. AB9100

AB9100Member

Threads:
    No. I do not buy used clothes.

To honest i do not see a reason to buy used clothes. In my experience with good will stores their prices are just as high s a regular retail store. People often for get that Good Will stores are businesses too, and their main priority is to make money.

I think you would pay the same mount for your clothes shopping at Walmart, or a discount store. There is no need to buy used clothes. You would only waste your money on inferior merchandise.

I would tell someone who is considering buying used clothes to shop around the discount outlets first. You will be surprised with the bargains you find.

14. Athenagdlyt

AthenagdlytActive Member

Threads:
    I buy used clothes especially the ones for costumes and those I will only use once. When my kids were required to come to school in costumes I bought used clothes from thrift shops. I turned one into a pirate costume and another one into an elf costume. I also bought formal evening gowns from thrift stores which I used for stage performances and parties. I have saved a lot of money.

15. AB91000

AB91000Active Member

Threads:
    I use to.

However i do not think there is a need to buy them anymore. There are so many discount clothing stores now. Such as Kmart. Their prices are virtually the same as prices you would find at your local Salvation Army store.

Why buy used clothes when you could get new clothes for the same price. I have been through some tough times in my life, and i know first hand that Good Will stores do not operate under that premise.

They are looking to make money. Just like any other business.

16. tea

teaNew Member

Threads:
    I love buying secondhand and have never understood why it grosses people out. I never even got hand me downs as a kid, either, because I was an only child and had a small family. To me it's always just been an economical way to get better quality and more unique clothing items than buying from just any mall store or Target or something. There is a huge difference to me between buying a $5 poorly sewn polyester shirt at Target and finding a lovely $5 well-constructed silk shirt at the thrift store. I guess it might not make sense to you if you feel like you never see anything but used shirts from the same brands at the thrift store anyway, but I am the kind of person who loves the hunt and finds it really satisfying to dig and search for just the right items. I'm the same way with stores like TJ Maxx that some people say they have no patience for.

Plus, sometimes with the way trends come and go it becomes so hard for me to find clothes that I like or that suit my body in regular retail stores if I'm not into whatever is fashionable right now. It's nice to have the secondhand market there.

17. Parker

ParkerWell-Known Member

Threads:
    A few years ago, I used to buy used clothing. Circumstances changed and I needed to stretch my budget. I couldn't afford to be picky. Before that, I would have never consider wearing used clothing unless it was from an immediate family member. I learned that some of the clothes at Goodwill and other thrift shops sell clothing with store tags as used. I also got good at spotting lightly used clothing.

The Goodwill in my area have slim pickings. In my area, some of the best used clothing winds up in vintage shops and are not inexpensive.

18. Nickchick

NickchickWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I would say they're a little worse than other businesses for the simple fact people can only donate things to them yet they're more of a business than a charitable organization.

Anyway, I would never buy clothes from Goodwill or at least avoid it highly when I can. I'm not a clothes person so I am basically the pickiest person ever. I look at a lot of their clothes and think "there's a reason why that was given away". You probably don't get much of a better deal than the discount stores which I am fine with. I may be picky with clothes but I don't care about shopping at places like Macy's or Hollister. In fact 99 percent of the time I don't even like their clothes either.

19. caseyfacey

caseyfaceyActive Member

Threads:
    I never understood why some people get grossed out by wearing used clothes. When your clothes are dirty, you put them in your hamper, and you wash them. When they come out, don't you expect them to be clean? I mean, you wash them and wear them again. So what's the difference? Just wash the used clothes. Not trying to be mean, just trying to form some reason. I love thrift stores, used clothing stores, etc. Sure, sometimes they are hit or miss, but sometimes you will find some AWESOME deals and save a ton of money.

20. lizzief79

lizzief79Active Member

Threads:
    I am fine about wearing used clothes. In fact, it is very rare that I buy new clothes for myself. I sometimes get given clothing and sometimes I buy from charity shops. I don't mind second hand clothes for my children either, although I do buy them new.