Do You Buy Video Game Consoles When They're Fairly Recent?

Discussion in Computers, Electronics & Gadgets started by zuulspaceman • Jul 25, 2014.

1. zuulspaceman

zuulspacemanNew Member

Threads:
    I was thinking of investing some money into a new video game console, but it's really hard to decide on whether or not this is a good way to spend money. Generally I like to wait a few years after a system is out to see what it can fully do, but I really am tired of waiting this time.

Do any of you have the PS4, Xbox One, or the Wii U? If so, are they putting out any games you'd recommend getting the system for?

I like RPGs, fighting games, and puzzle games. I really don't like shooters, so if that's the only type of game that's good on the system let me know so I can avoid it.

2. Navii

NaviiActive Member

Threads:
    I don't buy consoles when they just came out, but if I had to buy one, I'd get a Wii U, because it has the most exclusive titles and they are all a lot of fun. Especially the Mario and Zelda titles and Super Smash Brothers. Those games will never come out for a different console or the PC. PS4 and XB1 on the other mostly have titles that will come out on other platforms too, so if you like PC gaming, I'd only buy a Wii U, if you really want to buy a console.

3. daimashin

daimashinActive Member

Threads:
    I admit that I'm an early adopter(I bought the PS3 and PS4 at launch). Actually it depends on how you see it, buying a console is like an investment. You need to wait for the games to come out before your purchase is justified. If you've got the money to spare and are willing to wait then by all means go for it. If you're neither, it's best to wait for price drops or a better revision comes out. Games for the new generation is starting to pour in so I guess this is the right time to get one.

4. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    No, if I had money to spare to buy a console, then I won't buy it the moment that it hits the stores, because I know that the price will get lower as time goes by, and waiting for the price to be lower also exposes the flaws the console has through word of mouth, and or course through the negative reviews that you might see on the internet. So that can also influence your decision on whether you will still buy the console or not.

5. Halber

HalberNew Member

Threads:
    Personally, I like to wait a couple of year until the price plateaus to a steady number. Currently, the PS4 is $95 cheaper on ebay, running at around $315. The official price has dropped by $50. I'm going to wait until after Christmas for the prices to drop even more, or check cyber Monday for a good deal on a console.

Don't fall for the Christmas trap ;)

6. Spectre456

Spectre456Active Member

Threads:
    If I were you I would look at a list of the games each console has and the ones scheduled to be released soon and choose like that.
    From the genres you like I would say a PS4 would suit you better in the long run. Playstation usually gets most of the RPG releases between the consoles.

7. Feneth

FenethActive Member

Threads:
    We have a PS4 and I recommend them for most people who don't have super-young kid gamers. When we look at game selection, Wii U has more E games and things suited to really young kids. The xBox with kinect is nice...but the newest version has really high internet requirements. There isn't much you can do offline. That was a deal breaker for us. Here's a good comparison between

I don't recommend buying a console the minute it comes out but those two have been out for a bit. We got an xbox 360 way back when on the first release...yeah, they hadn't worked out all of the bugs and it got hot enough to cause fires in a few cases. In ours, it only melted some wires, both its own and belonging to our DVD player. In addition to the possible hazards, there aren't many unique games when it first comes out. We waited a few months after it came out to see what the first releases of the PS4 would do.

Something to consider, especially if you've never had a console system before (ore not recently) and want to save money and don't necessarily care about the newest games, is that you can often buy a used console of the previous generation with a whole huge collection of games already and maybe strategy guides too for very reasonable prices.

8. DreekLass

DreekLassWell-Known Member

Threads:
    When it comes to clothes, music, or any other type of product - including when it comes to the latest technology - I always do a lot of research before making some sort of purchase. But where it concerns the latest technology, I never have the money straight away to purchase new consoles straight away anyway. Not that I would or do when consoles are recently released.

9. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I don't buy consoles when they are new. Often I will wait until they release a second version because that's usually the time when they get all the kinks worked out and also at that point they will usually have a more substantial game library. When the console is too new, there aren't enough games for it to entice me, usually, and the console itself can prove to be buggy or at the very least not as efficient as it can be after a few years of wait. Looking back, I'm still glad I never bought the original ps3 as it was just bulky and expensive, not to mention at that time there weren't many games for it too.

10. SLTE

SLTEActive Member

Threads:
    I have the PS4 and the Wii U. They're both decent systems, but I wouldn't recommend getting a Wii U, at the very least. There have been dodgy rumours of late that Nintendo is working on a new system. The Wii U has suffered a rather poor life, and I think it's reaching the end of its days. A shame, too, as there are a few really good games for it. The PS4 should be around for quite a while.

I can't speak a whole lot for fighting and puzzle games, but if you want RPGs, I'd actually recommend looking into some of the indie titles coming out on the PC, assuming you have an even remotely decent system. Steam has a bevy of really cool, really inexpensive RPGs created by smaller developers that can rival some of the best AAA releases. Pillars of Eternity, Divinity: Original Sin, and Undertale all jump to mind.

11. shoptodrop

shoptodropActive Member

Threads:
    Well if you can afford to and you really want one, then go for it. But I'm the same way. I like to wait until they're much cheaper and to hear reviews before I get one. I can't justify spending all that money on a console when they're fairly new. If I had the money to spend I would just go ahead and buy one, but I don't. I could but it wouldn't be smart. Usually if you wait a good amount of time they drop the prices by $50-$100 bucks. I only bought a console brand new once and that was the 360 as a Christmas present for my boyfriend. We've had it for years and now he wants a PS4 or XBOX One. But they're too expensive to purchase right now, plus you have to think about the games you'll buy too.

12. thenextGeek

thenextGeekActive Member

Threads:
    I'm always planning to buy video game consoles since I grew up as a gaming enthusiast with the PS1 and the PS2. That's why I consistently wait for the prices of games consoles to drop in order for me to save money. However, when the time comes that their prices do drop, I feel that the money I'll spend for the console becomes wasted because it could have been used for more productive means like investing in a fund, or a business. In the end, I never buy consoles anymore and just play on my laptop since it's kind of a high-end one and can support most games these days.

13. JosieP

JosiePWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I can't remember why we decided against the Xbox One.. something about it was invasive or something lol, anyone know what I'm talking about? Anyway.. my kids aren't interested in it either, so all good. Otherwise, yes, we usually (with a lot of review readings etc) will buy new consoles pretty early on. My kids were taught young to think critically and research everything, so they make their own decisions on these things and we don't mind the cost as they don't ask for much of anything at all. So in the long run, we still spend less than most people do throughout the year on their kids. Not that I don't want to, but they don't ask for things they know they won't really use. The things they do want tend to last a long time so I find I'm not really buying them much.. so when a new console comes out and they research and want it, I'm more than happy to run out and buy it for them.

14. MikeyPaine

MikeyPaineActive Member

Threads:
    I've actually had a PS4 for a while now. I'm usually not the early adapter type, but a situation arose and getting a PS4 was the result of that situation, haha. The PS4 has a pretty good library so far in my opinion. I own Infamous: Second Son, Sleeping Dogs: Complete Edition, GTA V and a couple of others. I'd recommend a PS4 to any of my friends.

15. Pabmart

PabmartMember

Threads:
    I love video game consoles but I can't really be bothered to spend that much money just to get them early. I usually wait for quite a while until I feel like there are enough of my friends playing it and it's affordable.

16. goldenmaine

goldenmaineActive Member

Threads:
    I do not buy them when they are still a bit fresh out of the market because they can be really expensive and my budget for games could not allow it. I wait for a period of time when the prices fall and that is the time that I will make my purchase. I do this not only in buying consoles but also games of these video game consoles. I would not care if the console and games are a bit old when I own them, because they are still the same games and I am able to play them.

17. Jasmine2015

Jasmine2015Active Member

Threads:
    I would say it depends on what is going on. Sometimes a console will drop it's price for a while if a console from a different company comes out. Then there are deals like black Friday or cyber monday. I would also consider if the console is a limited edition. If you don't care about it being limited edition then just wait until a few games come out so when you buy your console you'll have a few games to play with.

18. ACSAPA

ACSAPAWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I don't buy consoles at launch because they often have glitches and bugs that need to be worked out. There's also usually a price drop or bonus bundles around the holiday season ,so that's another reason to wait. Plus if you wait a while, there are more games to choose from than the handful of titles available at launch.

19. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I do this too. I personally don't see much value in buying a new console when there's not much games on it yet, especially for someone like me who is a bit picky when it comes to video games. Also, these days wherein most of our multiplayer needs are met through online capabilities it helps when friends are also getting the consoles so you can play with then over the internet. On top of all that new consoles are just a bit too expensive so it does help to wait a while.