Do you buy your handbag or purse by brand or taste?

Discussion in Fashion & Apparel started by Pocs • Aug 12, 2012.

1. Pocs

PocsActive Member

Threads:
    Love a good bag. Big, small, structured or free formed, it doesn't matter. I don't shop by designers, I go by what I like. I do have a Stone Mountain and a Coach, bought because I like them only. I check construction, hardware and lining material. I first choose a style and color and go from there. If I like it and I think it will last, I'll be carrying it the next day. Rarely do I give away or throw out a bag. I buy bags that will last, regardless of brand or designer.

2. Jessi

Jessi<a href="http://www.quirkycookery.com">QuirkyCooke

Threads:
    Definitely by taste. I don't own anything name brand at all, so everything I've ever bought would've been because I liked it. Or it was for utility's sake. I just don't understand the idea of spending hundreds of dollars on a handbag/purse because of the designer labeled splattered all over it.

3. Kaybee517

Kaybee517Active Member

Threads:
    I too shop by taste and not by brand. I'm like tha with everything I buy. It's not so much who makes the item but it's what it looks like and the functionality. I have bought purses everywhere from the street vendors in the City to department stores. I always try to find a bag on sale or with a good bargain.

4. hunysukle

hunysukleActive Member

Threads:
    I don't buy by brand, but by taste. I would much rather buy an off-brand purse that I really love than a Louis Vuitton. However, I don't like junk, either. It has to be sturdy and long-lasting. I actually bought a purse on overstock.com for $25 and it still looks great, but the magnetic latch ripped off the interior. Other than that, it looks really great still. I would probably pay $50 tops for a purse.

5. jovan107

jovan107Active Member

Threads:
    I shop mostly by taste for handbags, but if I do purchase a brand name bag its always under $50. I love a great hangbag and I think its a great fashion accessory. Also, some online wholesale sites such as fashionbella.com offers a great selection of handbags that a reasonably priced.

6. Tinee

TineeMember

Threads:
    By taste. If I start buying my bags by brand, I'd no longer be able to afford anything else. I have a family to feed. So I go to vintage stores and go look for good finds. People will never notice anyway.

7. Parker

ParkerWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I don't buy handbags by designer. I buy based on style and color. Many of my purses are made by Nicole Miller, but that's a coincidence...I think. ;)

8. Lena51

Lena51Active Member

Threads:
    I buy my handbags by style also and I do not buy by brand. I feel this way, if the bag is cute and I like the way it's styled, they have sold me on it. Whatever that style looks like and I like it I will buy it in a hurry. And again, how long are you going to carry that same handbag anyway for you to look for a brand and who cares who it's made by as long as you like it. I try to be different and buy a plain handbag and if I want a design on it, I will put a design on it for myself that is different from anyone you've seen and I think that's neat when you can think of your own special design. How Kool is that for you to design your own handbag, it's much cheaper and your own taste.

9. dhintaka

dhintakaMember

Threads:
    I am of the same belief. The bag has to be just good and be of my taste. The only time when I go for brands is when I have to gift someone. I have picked up the bags from street shops , garage-sale & sometimes even second hand if they are in good condition & also very unique.

10. Sandra Piddock

Sandra PiddockExpert

Threads:
    I'm not into brands at all. I buy all my bags from Spanish street markets, where I can get both quality and value combined. I tend to carry around a favourite bag until it disintegrates on me, rather than using my bag as an accessory, so I'm probably not the best person to ask about this. My bags are functional, not fashion statements.

11. MoniqueSeibel

MoniqueSeibelActive Member

Threads:
    By taste and price. My favorite handbag was like $14 from Claire's I think. I'm not even sure what the brand name is, but I love it. I used to care much more about the designer, but now I'm all about finding the best looks for the cheapest prices.

12. difrancprod

difrancprodBanned

Threads:
    When it comes to bag, I go for brand. There are so many times that I bought bags without names and they ended up getting worn out too fast! I don't even get to enjoy them for more than a couple of months because something wrong always happens to them if not with its handle or its fabric itself. I find a waste of money.

13. Cornholio

CornholioActive Member

Threads:
    My wife goes by taste. She likes big buys and will put them on and walk around to get a feel for them. It is funny and annoying at the same time.

14. melapie

melapieActive Member

Threads:
    I only have one designer bag, a coach. I usually buy by taste, like if I happen walk by something that caught my eye, I'd buy it. I only keep a few bags, just my favorites. Some, after using 2 -3 times I give away because I get bored just by looking at them. I'm more to splurge on shoes than bags.

15. classicnyer

classicnyerActive Member

Threads:
    I can't imagine why somebody would buy a handbag or anything based on brand alone. If I'm in need of a bag, and I find one for $3 at the 99 cent store, and it's a good color and shape for my tastes, I will totally buy it.

16. Linky

LinkyExpert

Threads:
    I only buy a bag if I fall in love with the look of it. I do not look at brands. I do, however, love browsing and checking out cool bags. I do not spend too much on them any more because I get bored rather quickly...I then pass the bag on to someone else. They do a lot to dress up an outfit.

17. Farrah

FarrahActive Member

Threads:
    Ok, shoot me..... I am a handbag aholic. lol They say the first step to recovery is admitting it right? I love my bags. All kinds, but usually structured, and conservative colors. Names are important to me as well. I just can't bring myself to carry a "lame" bag.

18. supergirl

supergirlMember

Threads:
    I haven't ever purchased a hangbag simply due to it's brand, although sometimes it has certainly helped me make the decision. I love my bags and have a huge collection. Almost one for every month of the year, each year :p
    I would say that brands have definitely put me off in the past, but if a design is beautiful, then a design is beautiful!

Most of us who are hang bag enthusiasts wouldn't be caught walking down the street with a poor K mart quality handbag, would we?

19. gina121

gina121Active Member

Threads:
    Functionality, quality of material used and durability are the features that help me decide when I buy a handbag. The brand does not matter, as long as it does not look too tacky!

20. QueenPisces

QueenPiscesNew Member

Threads:
    I never shop by brand when picking out handbags, As long as it is my style then, I will purchase it. I typically only wear black handbags because it matches any outfit, but brand doesn't matter to me, Of course there's a couple of branded handbags I wouldn't mind having, but those are usually way out of my price range and I don't believe in spending over $50 for a purse because there's so many similar ones for a cheaper price. I think branded handbags has its advantages though they usually have great quality and last awhile, while cheaper handbags may last a few months or so.