Do You Call For Deals?

Discussion in Phone, Internet & TV started by kjonesm1 • Feb 5, 2015.

1. kjonesm1

kjonesm1Active Member

Threads:
    Every few months I call DirectTV, CenturyLink, T-Mobile and Geico to see if I am qualified for any special offers. Believe it or not I save a TON of money by doing this. Centurylink actually cut my bill in half a couple of months ago and have locked me in the next year. DirectTV gave me $10 off per month as well and T-Mobile put me on a promotional plan to also save me money. I feel that as a long term customer I should be entitled to the same if not better deal as a brand new one. Most company's are happy to oblige when I make that point to them. Am I the only one who does this?

2. westmixxin

westmixxinMember

Threads:
    I only call when I want ah deal on a product I brought that turned out to be defective. I usually get something in return like free product’s and also coupons.

3. Diane Lane

Diane LaneWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I have done this several times with my provider (AT&T) and also with my former one (Comcast), but they seem to be getting less willing to work with existing customers. I've seen a change in their attitudes over the years, and not for the better. Customer service and retention seems to be taking a back seat to marketing. The last time I called, I was advised they couldn't do anything for me, and to call back in a few months. Later in the week, I received a flyer offering me a $400 gift card if I switched to them as a new customer, obviously. It makes no sense to me that they would treat current loyal customers like garbage, while kissing butt to attract new ones, but if that is how they plan to do business, I don't plan to stay with them. I'll be keeping my internet service, and my rate will go up, due to unbundling fees, but it will be worth it for the amount I will save using Roku and HuluPlus, versus paying for their television services.

4. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I do this too, not only for cable but also for my phone and internet service. Most of the time I'll just check their site but from time to time I'll call them to see if I have any rewards I can claim or if I am eligible for some freebies or discounts. It doesn't work all the time and at times it can get disappointing but sometimes I'll get a good freebie or discount that makes it all worth it, especially considering that it's not that much effort to make few calls.

5. Spectre456

Spectre456Active Member

Threads:
    I've never done this, but seeing you talk about it makes me question why I haven't been doing it all along. I'm gonna try it out and see what I can get out of it.

6. Ke Gordon

Ke GordonWell-Known Member

Threads:
    T

That sounds good. I have negotiated my bill with direct tv several times and will probably go back to them. Geico usually sends a magazine out twice a year telling me what services I can save money on. I admit I haven't used any of them though. Maybe it is worth a call to see if I am overlooking anything/. I would love to save money on movie tickets.

7. dorothymoreno

dorothymorenoActive Member

Threads:
    I never even thought of doing that. It is a great way to save money from what I can tell from your experience. I think I am going to give this a try, it couldn't hurt and I am always looking for ways to save money.

8. Diane Lane

Threads:
    When I logged on earlier to check my bill, I saw several notices that my discounts (yeah, right) are going to expire in 49 days. I was just on the the phone with someone discussing changes to the budget, and how I can cut the bill, so it looks as if I might have to start researching antennas and Roku devices again. I'm tired of getting jerked around by the company. I've told them I'm on a limited budget, yet they still can't get my bill down without substantially cutting my service (read as all of my favorite channels), and even if I shut off the television service, they will punish me by increasing the amount I'm paying for internet.

I sure wish a company would come along and provide internet at a reasonable rate, and if that company also offered television services, I'd be all ears. I was actually considering switching to Dish Network last week, because I saw what sounded like a good deal advertised, then I noticed a banner at the bottom of the screen stating that Dish Network customers would be losing the local CBS affiliate, and for subscribers to call Dish Network to complain. It seems there are headaches with every provider these days.

9. mooray

moorayNew Member

Threads:
    I never call to get a deal. Maybe im too spoilt that I don't really get interested in deals. I think I should try to see what comes out of it.

10. JoyF

JoyFNew Member

Threads:
    NO, not for deal ever. I think online coupon sites are playing their rolls very well to provide us latest deals and coupon codes. I simply follow those. Its very simple.

11. Lushlala

LushlalaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    No, I too have never done this! But it certainly sounds very interesting LOL I'm not usually very comfortable doing something like this, but seeing as I'm not exactly flash with money at the moment, I might just give it a try. Although, I bet it's easier over there than here. Companies here are so greedy they rarely want to give away anything **sigh** :(

12. Pat

PatWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I have not thought to do this but it does seem like a good idea. I have a pre-paid cell and will let it go for a month if I need the money in my budget, sometimes when I call to start it back up I get a better monthly price than the one I had before I let the service go off.

13. clairebeautiful

clairebeautifulActive Member

Threads:
    You are definitely not the only one.

We watch the ads in the mail, actually, and the minute we get offered a better Internet deal from another company, we call who we have and ask them to match it or say we'll switch. It has worked almost every time. A couple of times they still gave us a deal, but not the same as advertised.

14. Diane Lane

Threads:
    I'm working up to calling the company to request a deal. Mine are set to expire soon, as I posted above. I really don't want to disconnect my television service right now with Christmas coming, because there are a lot of movies I typically watch, and I don't want to miss out on them especially since we finally got the Hallmark Channels on my service, but if I have to, I will. I'm trying to deal with some other stressful issues first, then I'll take on this matter. I try to space out the stressful things, and every time I have to deal with the company it takes at least an hour and a half on the phone with various staff members before I can finally get a deal worked out.