Do you carry a compass and map when you travel?

Discussion in Travel started by Denis Hard • Jun 9, 2014.

1. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    In age of smartphones when you can find an app that can do virtually anything for you, including helping you navigate around a town you've never been in, it may seem like a dumb question to ask if a compass could be of any value to anyone. But supposing you lose your phone or your battery runs dry and you don't know where you are?

Should you carry a map of the place you're visiting and a compass in case anything goes wrong and you need to find your way somewhere?

2. whnuien

whnuienActive Member

Threads:
    Not a compass but I would definitely bring a map :D Whenever I lost my way around somewhere then I usually just stop people on the way and ask them for a guide. And I keep on asking few other people on my way just to make sure I'm going on a right direction.

But I must say that I really love using the map and navigation app on my phone. It has helped my husband and I when driving at a city we've never been before. So I do my best to always keep the battery full and not use it for anything else other than calling when we are on a trip.

3. 003

003Well-Known Member

Threads:
    No, I don't know how to use a compass and in my travel I don't find it necessary at all. I rarely travel and venture into the woods. But I bring a map with me to any place I am not familiar around. I am still using a map, but I think soon I think I wouldn't have to use anymore as GPS is day-by-day becoming more prevalent. Not that it's more convenient, it's also more helpful and easier to use, not to mention handier.

4. kasi

kasiActive Member

Threads:
    No i do not carry because in this latest technology that type of map is not have much consider that's why i must priority to iphone to search the location because Google give to you the opportunity through the Google map to find the location..

5. eppie

eppieActive Member

Threads:
    Most (if not all) maps include the directions (via symbol) - north, east, south and west already so I guess there's no need for a compass. However, a compass is required if you're going mountain climbing or forest hiking where you might get lost and no one's around to ask for directions. If I'm just traveling in a city or places with people then all I need is a map. I can always ask around if ever I get lost. :D

6. Thrix

ThrixMember

Threads:
    People, we live in 2014.

You can fit in a world map & navigation voice system, compass, internet, communication and entertainment in your pocket - just get a decent phone.
    So no, I don't carry anything like that, my phone handles it pretty well.

7. H.C. Heartland

H.C. HeartlandActive Member

Threads:
    We always carry a map with us when we travel even short distances. (Not across town but I mean within an hours distance). I have had a compass at some points; one of our cars had a built in compass which we really liked. But I wouldn't say we carry a compass with us as much as we carry maps. Most of our friends use the new GPS devices but we haven't upgraded yet. I usually MapQuest a route before we go and print it off with me. But I realize in the age of internet being on everyone's phones this makes me sound like a dinosaur.

8. prettycolors

prettycolorsActive Member

Threads:
    Haha, I find this thread funny :D

A compass no, but a map yes. I know that we live in 2014 and I even have a smartphone now, with all the fancy apps and what not, but if I'm traveling to a new place I don't want to depend on just one device for my orientation. Maps are classic and have no mistakes, the only mistakes come from me. The apps, well, we all know how well Apple maps worked in the past. A compass, now that you mentioned it, is a good choice when traveling in the mountains I'd say. If your battery runs low there's no chance to recharge so old fashioned orientation is the best.

9. LuckyGirl08

LuckyGirl08Active Member

Threads:
    I would t bring a compass because my car shows what direction I am going in. I would most definitely carry a map though. I doubt if my phone would ever die because I have a car charger and a portable charger that carries batteries so I will most likely never be without my phone and GPS.

10. lindbergh

lindberghWell-Known Member

Threads:
    The only thing I find possibly getting wrong is my phone battery getting empty. I have offline maps installed in my phone so I don't need an internet connection. I also don't need a compass as I don't know how to use one too. Haha. Still, I have a map in the dashboard of my car for additional reference. :)