Do You Check Out Contractors Before Hiring Them?

Discussion in Home & Garden started by Diane Lane • Aug 31, 2015.

1. Diane Lane

Diane LaneWell-Known Member

Threads:
    There are many horror stories of people left with incomplete projects and empty wallets, after paying contractors to do home repairs. Often, those targeted are the least able to recover from this type of incident. It's important to do some research before hiring contractors.

I don't know how it works in other countries, but in the United States, professional licenses and certifications are handled by each individual state. Therefore, before signing any contracts/agreements or handing over any money, it's important to verify that the person you're hiring is full licensed, and bonded/insured, as well. The reason for making sure that they are licensed, even though it may cost more up front, is to ensure that even if the company goes out of business, the insurance or bond should cover your loss, as well as if somehow your property becomes damaged, or something is stolen, those costs should also be reimbursed.

Here's a story about a local pool builder who went out of business and left homeowners hanging for repairs. Apparently the company wasn't fully registered/licensed, or didn't have insurance, because the homeowners were on their own, and left in the lurch.

2. purplepen88

purplepen88Active Member

Threads:
    Always check out your contractor before you hire them. I have heard many horror stories about pool companies and contractors who have left clients high and dry and took their money. I am right in the middle of renovations and I LOVE my contractor. He does absolutely the highest quality work. We found him through a work colleague and I couldn't be happier.

3. gata montes

gata montesActive Member

Threads:
    I totally agree Diane Lane - this is something that I think everyone would be wise to do, especially as by doing so - not only can you save yourself a lot of distress - but also a considerable amount of money - particularly as having a bodge job put right by a quality contractor - will more often than not make the original project cost almost double what was originally intended.

I would also just add that on top of getting references as well as seeing some examples of their work - it also helps to get a few quotes - so that you can make a cost effective decision and more importantly - to make sure that they are not ripping you off - by over charging

4. Pat

PatWell-Known Member

Threads:
    There are so many scams you most check out the person you are giving your money to. Some people will take your money do a job that is doig more damage than if you leave it alone. I had a guy take my new car battery out an replace it with a died battery and swear to God he didn't do it. Not only did I pay him to screw me he by not fixing my car he sold my new battery.

5. Corzhens

CorzhensWell-Known Member

Threads:
    That is the main reason why we do not hire contractors anymore. In 2008 when we hired one for building the extension of our kitchen, we were duped. After paying 50% of the agreed cost, the contractor had her men dig the area and build posts for foundation. And then she asked for more money. We did not agree to that so we rescinded the contract got our own workers to finish the job. We saved some money on that.

6. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Another way to ensure the contractors you hire have a good track record is recommendations. Some of your neighbors or friends probably know good contractors. If you ask them they could recommend the contractors they think are the best and afterwards, once you get the names you can verify whether those contractors are licensed.

You could use the referral to get discounts :)

7. Diane Lane

Diane LaneWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Y'all have added some great points, which is why it's so helpful to have discussions such as this one, on a variety of topics. One time shoddy contractors seem to swoop in is after disasters. It never fails, after a tornado, blizzard, or hurricane, the trucks will show up, with people claiming to know what they're doing, and often, people are under stress, and just want life to go back to normal, so they will hire on the spot.

Another thing to check into before having any work done, especially if you use your own workers/day laborers/handymen is whether the work being done will need to be permitted by the city or other governing agency. If it does require a permit and you (or a licensed contractor) don't obtain one up front, the government will sometimes demand the structure/project be torn down. It's always best to do a little work up front, rather than having to deal with issues such as that.