Do You Check Your Receipts?

Discussion in Off Topic Discussion & General Questions started by Sunshine • Jan 21, 2015.

1. Sunshine

SunshineActive Member

Threads:
    I always check my receipts after check out to make sure all the prices came up as marked. I will tell you that at LEAST 20% of the time a price comes up differently than what it was marked. One strange thing about me is I have an excellent memory for prices (although I can't remember a phone number for the life of me), so I can be certain the price is wrong, but will go back and check it.

I always go back to the customer service or cashier and tell them about it. It usually is only 10 to 50 cents off, but that's not the point. I feel like sometimes they wonder why I'm making a big deal about a few pennies. But to me it is the principal of the matter, and I'm sure the BBB would agree.

What are your thoughts? Do you check your receipts and ever find mistakes in them? Do you go back to tell them, even if it is only a couple cents?

2. May102014

May102014Active Member

Threads:
    I check my receipts to make sure I got all the items I bought and if I got the right change. There was one time that one item was missing and when I checked the receipt, it was listed there. I immediately complained and it turned out that the next customer unintentionally placed the missing item in her cart.

3. Jessi

Jessi<a href="http://www.quirkycookery.com">QuirkyCooke

Threads:
    I actually don't check mine that much. I only really pay attention to ones that make a big difference or items that specifically had coupons or sales on them.

And really, even that is kind of lie because I don't check the receipt itself. I will watch the scanner at the checkout while those items are going through and if it's wrong, I will question it right then. I don't look after the fact and then go back.

4. missbishi

missbishiWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I use the self scanner these days so don't need to bother checking receipts anymore. I love using the scanners, they make doing the shopping so much easier.

5. asereht1970

asereht1970Member

Threads:
    I always check my receipts whenever I go shopping. I do this to make sure that the bagger puts all the things I paid for inside the bag. There were instances when I did not get something I paid so in order to avoid confrontations with the cashier and the bagger, I always check my receipt immediately.

6. thatnewmommy

thatnewmommyActive Member

Threads:
    There's this supermarket I used to frequent that ALWAYS had an issue with pricing. And I dont mean something was in the wrong place (as I'm shopping I always check the UPC on the product and the shelf label), but these people would have sale prices with no date expiration and then when I would check out the prices would be off. (After a while I stopped going. It is closer to me since I have no car but I only go when it's absolutely necessary).

At first, I would have to go to the customer service area but that would always be full of people playing lotto and using Western Union so it got annoying that I had to make two lines for their mistakes. So, I started holding up the line. I would tell people behind me I was a price checker. LOL I would then try to remember the products on sale and their prices and check if that's what they rang up to. If it wasn't, I would let her know and turn back to the people in line and tell them it may be a while and suggest a different line. It sucks, but it wasn't right that I had to make two long lines. And I didn't want to make other customers wait forever. Some would do. They'd say they knew exactly what I was talking about. LOL

7. Onionman

OnionmanActive Member

Threads:
    I probably don't check my receipts enough! I instinctively normally put it straight into my wallet, without really caring. That's just lazy thinking and I've probably lost some money as a result.

8. vdenayb23

vdenayb23Member

Threads:
    I always make sure to check my receipts every time I make a purchase to make sure everything is accurate. I cant tell you how many times I have had to go back in the stores because something was not right. It gets fustrating because I used to think I could trust the cashier to make sure everything is accurate but its ok I make aure its a habbit to xheck all my receipts. My fiance how ever does his receipts at all so I usually check them anyway.

9. sunnyside

sunnysideActive Member

Threads:
    I always check my receipts after I get home from shopping. I like to go through and see that every item I bought is listed there, as well as to check the price of each item or any discrepancy in prices. When I am at the checkout counter, I am also very careful to make sure that all my goods are put into the bags. There have been a couple of times when I left the supermarket only to discover when I got home that an item which I bought was not in any of the bags, even though it was noted on the receipt. At those times I have returned to the supermarket and was able to claim the item which had been left on the counter. While at the checkout counter, I also watch to see that none of my goods get put in another customer's bag by mistake.

10. Rosyrain

RosyrainActive Member

Threads:
    I check my receipts after I get home from shopping, but it is usually so that I can admire the savings I got from being a smart shopper. Once in a while I notice that I was overcharged for something, but that does not happen to me too much.

11. Krissttina Isobe

Krissttina IsobeWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I always check my receipts and when I'm at the cashiers, I try to make sure that the item is what I think the price is too, so I ask for a price check and when the cashier tells me the price then I tell them yes I'll buy it or not, saves time for the customer service can be a long wait for the correction. We both are just human so I like to check first about the prices and check my receipt when I am leaving the store too so in case anything is wrong I'm still at the store and saves me time from coming back. I feel good when I get my things on sale and a coupon with it to boot and to get both on the receipt is so great!

12. gmckee1985

gmckee1985Active Member

Threads:
    I have to admit, I rarely check my receipt. Only when something feels really off. But I've yet to encounter one single time since I've been an adult where something has been rang up incorrectly. I guess I'm fortunate in that regard, as a lot of folks I know have had issues with cashiers messing an item or two up occasionally.

13. Zammy Chloe

Zammy ChloeNew Member

Threads:
    Me too, too rarely to check my receipt as well. :(

But anyways thanks for the ideas.

14. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I do check my receipts but admittedly not all the time and I find myself especially less attentive when I'm tired and just want to go home. Usually I just pay much more attention to the process of actually calculating each item as I try and keep a watchful eye on the register so no items get doubled or missed. This is why I try as much as possible to shop when I know I have more energy because I know I'll just be too lazy if I finish my session being too tired to care.

15. brightmind

brightmindNew Member

Threads:
    I don't usually check mine but I keep it for emergency use. Like if i had problem with the product i purchased i can always return it.

16. obliviousme

obliviousmeActive Member

Threads:
    I'm really bad at this. I don't check my receipts but like what some of you here mentioned, i also just keep the receipts for future reference if i ever have issue on an item or if i try to calculate my expenses and whatnot.

17. rainhero

rainheroNew Member

Threads:
    I watch everything as it is scanned, and most of the time I use self-checkout so I can make sure I see that everything came up as the price was. This way I can get it worked out before getting my receipt and having to go through going to customer service for a price correction, refund, or anything.

18. Pat

PatWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I add the prices up in my head as I shop so that when I get to the cashier I have a very good idea of what the total should be. When the price is more than I expected I do check my receipt for the difference.

19. rz3300

rz3300Active Member

Threads:
    Oh yes, and I actually find myself doing it a lot more than I might have suspected at first until I started paying attention to it. It just happens because I always double check in my head and see if the prices match, and there is usually some difference which is enough to make me go back and see, if for no other reason than pure curiosity, but sometimes it does end up revealing a mistake.

20. rainhero

rainheroNew Member

Threads:
    It's definitely always a good idea to use a calculator to price everything as you go along. That's another thing I do. This way I know for sure about how much everything is going to cost including tax. I know food items are 3 cents per dollar and non-food items are 7 cents per dollar so I add the tax up on everything as I go along too.