Do You Clip Coupons From Newspaper

Discussion in Coupons started by pafjlh • Mar 2, 2015.

1. pafjlh

pafjlhActive Member

Threads:
    Maybe I felt the need to ask this is because I really don't do this myself. That's not to say that I don't use coupons, I do usually from a store I go to frequently and these coupons are usually targeted at items that I buy all the time. So, the store knows my own personal preferences.

I think this might be the reason I don't look at or get into Newspaper coupons. These are too generic and tend to target everyone. I just am not someone who understands how to go about using these to actually get a discount because for me I see the items being discounted and they were higher priced items to start with at least in my opinion they were. I have to hand it to those people on shows like Extreme Couponing, they have apparently learned how to make these type of coupons work for them.

2. steph7h

steph7hActive Member

Threads:
    I do use newspaper coupons, but not all the time. A lot of success with couponing depends on the coupons your region receives, because certain regions get better coupons, and also the stores in your area. If you search for a couponing website and find a good one (I like

) they can tell you exactly which coupons to use at each store for that week's sales, so that takes a lot of the work out of couponing, but some areas are just better suited than others to find good deals. Drugstores like CVS and Walgreens can be great for picking up personal care items like toothpaste and shampoo for cheap, because they have their own rewards programs that offer additional savings that you can use on future purchases, reducing your out of pocket expense. The main thing is to keep a balance and get the items you'll actually use, or donate those that you can't if they're free after coupons.

3. eppie

eppieActive Member

Threads:
    I'm not really into coupons but I do use those meal coupons handed out by McDonalds crew on the streets if I happen to have any. Using a coupon is really practical, I would gladly use it to purchase anything. However, I don't see myself taking the time to look for it (like in newspapers), I just take whatever that comes my way. :)

4. jaxson's mommy

jaxson's mommyNew Member

Threads:
    I sometimes use newspaper coupons. I usually use the store coupons that I get everytime I shopping for using my store rewards card. I also get to add coupons onto my card through the stores app. I love it! It's so much easier then clipping coupons! And I always try to buy items I have a coupon for so it's nice that when I'm using my rewards card they know I usually buy so I'm always getting coupons for that stuff

5. Rosyrain

RosyrainActive Member

Threads:
    It really depends on what coupons are offered. I will look through the newspaper before I decide to buy it to see if the coupon savings are worth it. I do not want to spend money on the paper if I am not getting good coupon deals. I like to use coupons to buy candy items because they are expensive. Other times I will just use the coupons I get in the mail.

6. butterfly1

butterfly1Member

Threads:
    I totally use coupons when I have the time to sort everything out. I use websites to help me matchup deals. This is due to the fact that I was failing miserably when it came to using coupons. I learned that just because you have a coupon for something does not mean that you personally are going to save money on your overall bill. You have to have a plan. I am signed up with a FREE site called Coupon Mom. They matchup deals each and every week with the newspaper Qs. I love this site. It saves me soooo much money and time. Google Coupon mom and start relying on their hard work. It helps ALOT

7. ACSAPA

ACSAPAWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I use a combination of newspaper coupons, store coupons and printable coupons, and so do some of the people on Extreme Couponing. Some stores like Public let you stack a store coupon with a newspaper coupon so I use both to maximize my savings.

8. LeopardJones

LeopardJonesActive Member

Threads:
    I use newspaper coupons from time to time, but only if they’re coupons for items I already need to buy. Better yet if I can stack it with a manufacturer’s coupon. Sadly this is somewhat uncommon. Most of the coupons I use are those I receive in the mail, and occasionally online. Sunday newspaper deals are usually good, though, I like to keep an eye on those.

9. radzi

radziActive Member

Threads:
    I've never used a Coupon in my life because I've never even had a working one. All the ones I had were always a scam, something like buy for 50 dollars and then get free 10 dollars, I don't understand because I don't really want to buy useless things for 50 dollars just to get free 10 dollars, that means I would be 40 dollarless :/ I hope I get better ones. And no, I've never clipped Coupons from a newspaper, because I've never had one!

10. clairebeautiful

clairebeautifulActive Member

Threads:
    I buy two newspapers every Sunday in order to have double the coupons, for BOGO's (where you can use a coupon on each item). I'm not an extreme couponer by any means, but as I track my savings, I'm more than making back the $2 I spend on each paper in coupons each week. Always worth it to me.

Two of my local grocery stores double coupons (up to 99 cents) every day, and SUPER double (up to $2) every 6 weeks or so, which makes having coupons even more worth it. I keep mine organized and don't clip until I actually plan to use them.

11. barkingsquirrel

barkingsquirrelMember

Threads:
    Just like clairebeautiful, I buy two Sunday papers for the chance of BOGOs and using the coupons with that type of deal. I also print coupons from home, and if there is an exceptionally great deal, I'll head to the library to print even more coupons.

The thing to remember with coupons is that if there is a coupon offered, the product WILL be on sale somewhere (be it grocery or drug store) before the coupon expires. With that in mind, your job is to find where that product is on sale at any given time before the coupon expires and use the coupon when the product is on sale. That is the whole premise behind extreme couponing and how people manage to buy stuff so cheap.

I don't clip until I actually need them either ... saves a lot of time and keeps them organized.

12. butterfly1

butterfly1Member

Threads:
    I wish the stores here would double the coupons. The one that I got to I mean. Albertson' doubles coupons. But, at the end of the sale it pretty much equals the price that I would get at Kroger. I am a huge Kroger fan. They have everything I need at great prices!

13. VictorSalza

VictorSalzaMember

Threads:
    Every little bit helps in my opinion. That’s why I clip coupons from newspapers. I’ve done it for years and will continue to do so. It was the very first way that I began learning how to save money in the first place.

14. kaylahambrick

kaylahambrickMember

Threads:
    I clip from newspapers. I usually buy 3-4 Sunday papers and clip out the coupons. I have a binder that I store them in. So when an item goes on sale for $1.99 and I have a $1 off coupon I can get a sometimes regularly 4-5$ priced item for $.99. That's why I buy more than one newspaper; so that I can stock up!

15. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I would but unfortunately for me newspaper coupons aren't really available here all that much. There will be one or two once in a while that I come across but nothing really regular enough to make it a hobby. All we have here are coupons you could purchase online for a small discount at the establishment but as for the ones you could get from free resources they are scare which really is a shame because ever since I got to watch extreme Couponing I really wanted to be doing what they were doing.

16. radzi

radziActive Member

Threads:
    Where I live, newspaper never contain any coupons. That's sad but true.

17. Lushlala

LushlalaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I'm the same as you, radzi. You don't see any promotions at all. I think this is a Western thing that'll take a while to trickle through to my neck of the woods, it's just ridiculous really. Retailers here are so greedy, it's unreal.