Do You Do Your Own Gift Wrapping To Save Money?

Discussion in Seasonal & Holidays started by Zyni • Dec 11, 2015.

1. Zyni

ZyniWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I've known people who paid to have all of their Christmas presents professionally gift wrapped. It isn't cheap to have done, but I do have to say they were wrapped beautifully. I just never could justify such an expense. I think there are enough lovely options to do it yourself and still have gorgeous gifts.

I did see a thing at a shop the other day where they would wrap all your gifts for a donation. I didn't do it, because I felt it would be unfair (to them). I hope the gift wrapping supplies were donated, just like the workers' time was, or they probably won't make much.

I'll stick to doing my own.

2. prose

proseActive Member

Threads:
    I have always wrapped my own gifts. Growing up, I remember that when my dad would take me Christmas shopping for my mom, he would pay to have her gifts professionally wrapped, perhaps in order to have them wrapped before we got home so that she could not see what he bought her ahead of time.

My parents and I are much more frugal now, and we all do our own gift wrapping. I cannot imagine paying someone else to do it. After all, most, if not all of the wrapping paper gets thrown away, anyways! Plus, if you really want the presentation to look nice, there are many online tutorials for gift wrapping and bow making that you could learn how to do yourself! I really enjoy wrapping Christmas gifts, so much so that I usually end up wrapping everyone else's gifts to other family members.aybe I should start charging? :p

3. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I only have items gift wrapped when it's available at the store I bought the item for and the service is free. Otherwise I'd probably just wrap it at home along with the other gifts. I don't care much about the quality of the wrapping because they will just be torn and discarded anyway, but I admit that it would be nice if all my presents were nicely wrapped and uniform. I can't imagine spending extra on it at this point in my life though, since I already spend so much on gifts and I'm not exactly I rich, but maybe in the future when I have a little more money to spare I would want to give that a try.

4. Corzhens

CorzhensWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Even before December comes, I am already armed with a bundle of gift wrappers and a whole scotch tape plus gift cards and trimmings like ribbons. Yes, I wrap my own gifts because I cannot bring them all to the gift-wrapping boutique. From a rough estimate, the total gifts that I wrap is more than a hundred. Think of how much I have saved on that.

5. MrsJones

MrsJonesActive Member

Threads:
    I have always gift wrapped my own presents. I worked in a gift wrapping department once as a seasonal employee during Christmas and really enjoyed it. Even though we were all trained I was able to apply my own gift wrapping technique and to my surprise I received a few tips, money that is.

6. gata montes

gata montesActive Member

Threads:
    Nope - no way would I ever even consider using a gift wrapping service - apart from the fact that I could never justify paying for something that I can easily do myself for free - wrapping the presents I've bought is something that I've always done myself and always will do - not to to save money - but because its one of the more favorable parts of gift giving for me and more importantly - its something I absolutely love doing.

7. Ke Gordon

Ke GordonWell-Known Member

Threads:
    The only time I have ever opted for gift wrapping is if the store is offering free gift wrapping or the band boosters are charging a minimal amount of money to wrap gifts. I am not really great at wrapping gifts...so if it is free or cheap I will get it done. However, 95 percent of the time..I end up wrapping the gifts myself. I think it is just cost effective to do that.

8. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I remember that the mall had a free gift wrapping service that is open to all their costumers who bought things at the store, so my mom patiently waited in line to have her gifts wrapped for free. Nowadays, the mall doesn't seem to offer that anymore, so no free gift wrapping for us and it's up to us to wrap our own gifts.