Do you do your own hair?

Discussion in Health & Beauty started by randee555 • Apr 14, 2014.

1. randee555

randee555Active Member

Threads:
    When I was younger, I learned to style and perm my hair from other family members who had taken cosmetology classes. By the time I was 10, I was sweeping in my cousin's hair salon and in middle school and high school, I did most of my friends' hair. Needless to say, I was doing things wrong and damaged my hair badly. I wanted to go to a beautician for years after that but never had the extra money. I then took to YouTube, cut all my hair off, and started with a clean slate. Now two years later my hair is the longest it has ever been and I couldn't be happier. Do you do you own hair or get it professional done?

2. Rusky

RuskyMember

Threads:
    I would never trust myself to do my own hair. I can just tell that I would mess it up, so I just go home every few months, go to the same hairdressers I've been going to since I was born, and ask them to shave it down to a suitable level. Then I let it grow out, and begin it all again. I'm lazy like that.

3. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I have tried trimming my own hair when I feel that it only needs to be cut by a few inches, but I will never try to perm or do anything that I think will require more knowledge other than cutting it. The most that I will do is to blow-dry or iron my hair.

4. prettycolors

prettycolorsActive Member

Threads:
    Since I keep my hair long I go to a hair salon once per month for 'maintenance' :p It's not that cheap but it's one of the few beauty related things I pay for. For my boyfriend, who's always shaving his head, we bough a cheap electric razor and do his hair at home. It's easy to shave a head so we see no point in paying for a professional to do such a simple action.

5. nwitt

nwittActive Member

Threads:
    I have died my hair a couple of times in the past and honestly it looked a lot worse than spending the money on getting it professionally done. By best experiences included limiting how often I got my hair done and paying a professional. I now do not color my hair at all and instead get my hair regularly cut. This has helped me save money!

6. isabbbela

isabbbelaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I cut my hair at the salon and do the most specialized stuff in there, but I color, hydrate and style my hair by myself. I rarely go to a salon to do my hair or even my makeup for a big event. I always like to do it myself, and if I don't know how to do the process myself I look it up online. The only thing I can't do by myself at all is cut it, and that goes for my whole hair as well as just the bangs. I suck at cutting hair because I don't really have good symmetry skills for that!

7. True2marie

True2marieActive Member

Threads:
    In general, these days, I do my own hair. However, I did not START off that way. For several years, I went to a salon faithfully. Only after falling losing a lot of money did I calm down and do my own tresses. YouTube and other online sites are helpful in figuring out what to do with your hair. Yet, I still think sitting in a chair and watching a pro for years was helpful too.

8. deansaliba

deansalibaActive Member

Threads:
    I don't, but I have often thought about it because I shave my head every two weeks and I pay about $15 a time so I would save over $300 a years by using an electric shaver to do it myself at home. But I've seen a lot of people do this and so many of them have messed their hair up and I really don't have enough confidence in myself to do it myself.

9. Jessi

Jessi<a href="http://www.quirkycookery.com">QuirkyCooke

Threads:
    I do my own hair, too, but to be fair, I don't really do anything special with it either.

The only thing I haven't really done myself is colored it entirely. I have colored other people's hair, but not my own, and I had my mom put in lowlights for me a couple times, but that was her doing the bulk of the work instead of me. It still saved a lot of money and I was quite pleased with it!

10. Athenagdlyt

AthenagdlytActive Member

Threads:
    No, I don't have that much skill to cut or color my own hair. I leave that to the professionals. The damage I can do to my hair if I DIY, will make me regret my actions just to save a couple of dollars. I also go to the salon monthly for hair cuts. I keep my hair color in its natural state which is jet black, so I save a lot of money by avoiding coloring and retouches. The only special thing I do with my hair is deep conditioning, no more than that.

11. epiczail

epiczailBanned

Threads:
    I used to when all I did was buzz my hair. Now I wear a fade and am no where near skilled enough to do that myself. When I get my hair cut I always go to non-chain barbershops. I have had so many bad experiences at Great Clips, Sport Clips, and almost every other large hair cutting chain.

12. LindaKay

LindaKayActive Member

Threads:
    I don't do as much to my hair as I should, but I only get it cut about every 6 months. In-between, I just take the best care of it as I can. I like wearing it long, and I use leave-in conditioners and stuff like that to try to keep it looking nice.

13. jneanz

jneanzActive Member

Threads:
    Like you, I went to cosmetology school (didn't finish) and later found that chemicals are not my friend. I've also had a couple of moments where I just pretty much cut off all my hair. The transition period was something else but the end result was nice. Funny, I was looking up my old (and best) operator to see if he was still in business. Being that he had to fifty-something in the 1990s, it's likely he's retired.

Anyway, my hair has different textures which is why I cannot do perms because too many people like to rush through the job. I'd end up with some parts burned off, other parts still coarse and the rest of my hair borderline stringy.