Do you donate?

Discussion in Charitable Causes started by dconklin • Apr 3, 2012.

1. dconklin

dconklinActive Member

Threads:
    We donate to various local charities. I am always uneasy about donating money especially to anybody that I cannot hand the money or donated objects to in person. Donating clothes to a local shelter, clothing collection bin or a thrift shop is a wonderful way to give back to your community. It is just one of the ways we donate.

We also like to donate food and baby items. Do you donate? If so, local or do you give money to an agency?

2. Collin1000

Collin1000Member

Threads:
    I donate to local charities in the form of time and physical donations, but I also do online donations to several national charities such as the American Cancer Society. Donations make the world go round!

3. Sandra Piddock

Sandra PiddockExpert

Threads:
    I donate to local charities, either with goods, money or by attending local fundraising events. I think it's important to contribute in every way possible to your local community, so that's where most of my donations go. I also donate nationally to cancer research and a charity for the blind. I've lost several friends and relatives to cancer, and my mother was blind, so those charities are dear to my heart.

4. Pandorical

PandoricalActive Member

Threads:
    I donate to local charities whenever possible although I prefer to donate to the people in person. I also donate to Oxfam because I really support what they're trying to do (stop global poverty).

5. Mrs. Pirz

Mrs. PirzExpert

Threads:
    We donate plenty at work and every time I go to the supermarket and they are collecting I give something to whatever cause it may be. Currently at work we are collecting for The Leukemia & Lymphoma society. One of my co-workers is an affiliate and started the company on the donation. In addition every year we do the Mercedes-Benz Corporate run and donate proceeds at the end of the year to multiple charities.

6. Jessi

Jessi<a href="http://www.quirkycookery.com">QuirkyCooke

Threads:
    I donate goods most frequently. All of our clothes that are in decent shape still get donated to a local shop. The same for the kids' old toys and such. We always participate in canned goods and food, too. I don't generally donate money directly, but have no problem putting my change in the little containers at the grocery counter or buying products where part of the money is donated.

7. dexterlablab1

dexterlablab1Active Member

Threads:
    I've donated before. But ONLY because I knew where I was donating to and where my donations are going. There are too many scam donation places that will take your stuff and then make a buck off of your charity givings.

8. Randomhero

RandomheroMember

Threads:
    Yeah I always try to give away my clothes that dont fit or things I dont use anymore to the goodwill or salvation army so others that are more in need can use the items :)

9. dconklin

dconklinActive Member

Threads:
    aar

Yeah I have dropped my change in the cans too. Also when you checkout at the supermarket, sometimes they ask if you would like to donate a dollar for various charities. I will do that sometimes too.

10. hunysukle

hunysukleActive Member

Threads:
    I try to donate whenever I can. I recently donated a bunch of clothes, shoes and household items to the salvation army when I moved out of my last apartment. However, times are tough and it's hard enough trying to make ends meet for myself. I would donate to charities regularly if I had a lot of money.

11. scottyxx

scottyxxExpert

Threads:
    I am not a very frequent donater, but if someone is doing something for charity and requires sponsorship, I will always sponsor them.

I think there are so many charities, I find it hard to sometimes find a cause I agree with, and so I do not really participate, and I know this makes me a bad person, but right now I am living pay cheque to pay cheque, so maybe once I have more cash I will be more charitable!

12. hummingbirdee

hummingbirdeeMember

Threads:
    I have donated to several different charities. This past year I donated to the United Way, Big Brothers and Big Sisters, March of Dimes, Salvation Army and church charities. I would say that most of the money I donate goes to the church I belong to. I know that all of the money goes to help people in need rather than paying for executive positions. I have also donated time to help out people in disaster situations.

13. R. Paradon

R. ParadonNew Member

Threads:
    I do make donations to various Buddhist temples in my area but rarely give money to "Professional Organizations' as their overhead is sometimes very large and my money is for people in need and not administrators.

What I enjoy doing is just seeing somebody legitimately in need and handing them a few dollars. The I will just walk away. I am not a wealthy person by any means but there are many who are in worse financial shape then me. And as I have been "down and out" years ago I will never forget the time when a stranger just walked up to me and handed me a few bucks.

14. dconklin

dconklinActive Member

Threads:
    I hear you! I usually do not donate money. At least not often. The items that you no longer want or use in good shape is really the perfect way to donate. Too many people throw the stuff out not thinking about others needing such items. Tho I would like to donate to cancer research, it is a growing disease that effects so many people.

15. mariaandrea

mariaandreaMember

Threads:
    I donate to my local food bank - both food and money. I've had to use them way in the past and remember how awful that was, plus the demand for their services has grown immensely in the last couple of years and hasn't stopped growing and will likely continue to grow. People are hungry. I also donate my time by volunteering there, because I think that counts.

I like the click to donate online sites that make it easy to support charities.

I donate clothes to homeless shelters and school supplies to groups that support foster children.

I don't have a lot of money to donate, so mostly do goods. The one thing I do every week is buy a local newspaper called "Real Change" because it's sold by homeless people working to better their situations. They buy the newspaper for 65 cents and sell it for a dollar to earn money. And, the journalism is excellent, covering a lot of topics the mainstream media doesn't.

16. agoodwriter

agoodwriterNew Member

Threads:
    Always when i go into our local store, i see many poor people are begging money in streets, i always try to give them something, because they doesn't really have home's or money at all :)

17. dconklin

dconklinActive Member

Threads:
    My favorite things to donate are food and clothing. Things people really need! That is cool about the newspaper. Great that they are trying to better their situations. Unfortunately we do not have that here. Many of the homeless here are because of drugs and alcohol :( They were asked by newspapers if they were trying to do something to change this and they did not have an answer. Some of them were doing crazy things just to get arrested so they had a warm place to sleep on a cold night. We have homeless shelters, but they would be required to not drink while in there. It is very sad, they are not interested in changing.

I would definitely buy the newspaper you are talking about if it was to help them better themselves!

#17Apr 10, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 10, 2012
  18. Coffeeaddict

CoffeeaddictNew Member

Threads:
    I donate in kind to various charities or through mobile contribution especially in the event of a disaster. I prefer donating food and hand it over to the needy person. I guess that's better and seeing the happiness on their faces is just so priceless.

19. dconklin

dconklinActive Member

Threads:
    It doesn't make you a bad person. I do not really donate money, just food and clothing. Also items that somebody may be able to use that I will not be using anymore. I worry too much about giving money. At least the food and clothing, I know that it will be used for the right purposes! I have also donated baby items in the past too.

20. dexterlablab1

dexterlablab1Active Member

Threads:
    I give when I can, and what I can.

There is never anything wrong with donating. And I wish people would do it more. Some people want to, but they're afraid of their donations not going where they should. Take me for example, unless I can SEE for myself where my donations are going, I don't give them. You'd be amazed how many places are out here just to make a buck off your kindness.