Do you dress up your pets for winter time?

Discussion in Pets started by dieselfit • Nov 23, 2013.

1. dieselfit

dieselfitActive Member

Threads:
    Winter is coming up and the temperatures are only dropping. We people with pets have to take care of what is under our roof. That includes our loving pets. Would you dress up your pets? My cat has a lot of fur I don't think it needs anything!

2. isabbbela

isabbbelaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I used to dress my dog at winter time, but only on really cold days, because she was really tiny and trembled a lot when it was cold. She also had no problem wearing clothes. But I know many dogs that won't even move when their owners put clothes on them!
    Now for our cats, I never even considered dressing them up! It should be hilarious, but I don't think they would enjoy it!!!

3. Aladar

AladarWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Please no. Dressing up pets is an absolute abomination of a thing, and most pets don't even like it.. why would you force them into something they are suffering in unless it was absolutely necessary..

4. vpresson

vpressonWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I have a cat she stays indoor and never goes out so there is no point in dressing her shes in the home with the heater so she's fine. I also have two dogs but my dogs aren't the dressing type lol they hate it so I don't dress them either. I keep them indoor except for when they go out and use the bathroom.

5. downloadsincomplete

downloadsincompleteMember

Threads:
    No, I never have and I never will. I don't want to offend anyone that does, but I think it's really, really cheesy and unwarranted.

Besides, all of my pets are indoors. They are not exposed to the cold outside and I will have the heater on if need be. They already have built-in swears with their thick fur, so I'm not going to make them even more uncomfortable with added warmth.

6. caparica007

caparica007Banned

Threads:
    I'm with you here, I find it scary! If it's due to a medical condition sure, but just to be fashionable it's somewhat scary for me... :)

7. BlackSolaris

BlackSolarisActive Member

Threads:
    I only ever saw one around where i live, but i didn't made too much case about it. It's not normal, but it's not really that out of ordinary. I guess it's another hobby for some people.

8. Mayvin

MayvinActive Member

Threads:
    I don't put jackets or other outfits on my dogs mainly because they're not outside for long periods of time but I would think about doing it if they were like at the dog park or something.

9. orz

orzActive Member

Threads:
    Never understood why people dress their pets up, dog breeds especially those from Europe are more than capable of surviving in the cold in fact its their natural habitat. Its the hot environments if anything which cause them more stress, adding clothing to them will probably make them more uncomfortable.

10. True2marie

True2marieActive Member

Threads:
    No, my dog only enjoys wearing his 'natural' winter coat.

What I believe is that pet owners should winterize their animals. Make sure they have a warm place to go to for shelter. Keep their skin oiled to avoid dandruff and other effects of dehydrated skin. Feed them extra food in order to ensure they stay warm and full of energy.

11. radishes

radishesMember

Threads:
    My dog is too big and unruly to dress up. But, my boyfriend's small Bichon Frise is always wearing a dog sweater in the winter time! He is also considering buying her Pawz. Shes a small white dog so when she goes on walks, her paws get dirty really easily. They also protect the dog's paws from extreme weather.

12. PSLoveCharli

PSLoveCharliActive Member

Threads:
    Yes! My dog (pomeranian) has a lot of fur too --- but since she's a miniature dog, then it's perfect! My dog doesn't like super tight clothes, but she will wear them if fitted comfortably. But I don't see why a pet with a lot of fur shouldn't be dressed up! Winter is winter --- how do we REALLY know if the dog/cat is cold or not? I never knew the answer to that question if anyone can elaborate.

13. Heatherie

HeatherieNew Member

Threads:
    I have Sphynx cats, so lack of hair is the absolute perfect excuse to dress them up! I do not put sweaters on them in the summer, but I do start dressing them up mid September/October. We live in an old and drafty house, they have no hair and CT can get brutal in the Winter. So, their wardrobe is essential, well, at least that is what I tell my husband.

14. khillis

khillisMember

Threads:
    I most certainly do, not for fashion reason but because in Canada we get some pretty cold days (-30 isn't unheard of). I have a pug, so he is already quite fragile. He isn't a puppy anymore, and has developed arthritis. He needs to keep active, so if he goes outside he has a jacket on for when he's running through the snow. It would really depend where you live and which species and breed of animal you have if it was a needed item.

15. prettycolors

prettycolorsActive Member

Threads:
    Sure thing! My little puppy needs all the help it can get when the harsh winter comes.

I have a good friend that took up knitting a few years back and now my little pup gets all kinds of crazy outfits. A good deal. I can now invest money in his food, toys and medicine since I'm not spending on clothes. And it's funny. Many years ago every time I saw a pup or kitten wearing clothes I could not stop laughing. But now, I understand :eek:

16. cookiemonsterv16

cookiemonsterv16Member

Threads:
    Even though our little Chihuahua is indoors we still dress her in a jacket because we take her out for walks to go to the restroom and even though we live in deep south Texas, right now we are still getting cold fronts so we've been using the little jacket to keep her warm especially since she has short fur and she is small she needs more warmth when she goes outside.