Do you drink the free coffee at work?

Discussion in Food & Drink started by True2marie • Aug 21, 2014.

1. True2marie

True2marieActive Member

Threads:
    For the past decade, every job I'v had has offered employees free coffee. Since I am not a big coffee drinker, in general, I pass on this beverage (even free). Recently, though, I have tried a cup or two. And you know what . . . it tasted pretty bad. (LOL)

I don't know what the heck my employer does, but their free coffee isn't good to me at all. I guess I'll stick to drinking the free tea and hot chocolate.

2. johnnear

johnnearActive Member

Threads:
    Well if it's free why not? I mean if it's bad then it's okay since you're not paying for it anyways, might as well just give thanks for the free coffee, doesn't matter if it's bad at least your employer is kind enough to give it for free. Not unless of course the coffee is 100% clean if you know what I'm saying.

3. Thejamal

ThejamalActive Member

Threads:
    Sometimes, but I almost always come in with my own cup of coffee. I'll make a few cups at home and bring it in or stop by a local coffee shop on occasion. Having a good cup of coffee is important to my morning routine and the coffee brewed at work is barely drinkable. And making coffee at home is very cost effective and only adds a few extra dollars every month if you don't go to coffee shops and make it at home.

4. jneanz

jneanzActive Member

Threads:
    I'm a coffee drinker whether I'm at home or an office. Sometimes, a person can tell which places have wretched coffee; however, I've gone through spells where my habit was so hardcore that anything brown would do. Overall, I've been fortunate as some companies serve on Starbucks, Peets, or something imported. Now when it comes to tea, I can be picky.

5. ohiotom76

ohiotom76Well-Known Member

Threads:
    For many years, I was fortunate enough to work for a few companies who provided really good coffee at work. One of my first jobs right out of college was a small company I was part owner off, and all of us were big coffee drinkers at the time, so we invested in a few nice Cuisinart coffee pots, and would buy filtered water for it, as well as a burr mill grinder and fresh coffee beans. Technically we were buying it with our own money, but we were paying ourselves well to begin with so it all worked out. I actually got kind of carried away with the whole coffee thing and started buying fresh beans for my coffee at home too, as well as water filters and all sort of other crap - until I took a step back and realized how much of my paycheck was going towards coffee each month, and I had to stop all that.

The following job I had after that, provided all the coffee for free. They had Bunn coffee makers all throughout the building, and some distributor would bring in foil pouches of fresh ground coffee for us to put in the machines. The water coming from the sinks was already hooked up to a filtration system. Even though it wasn't name brand coffee, it was still really good. I used to drink so much of it, I was in the bathroom most of the day, lol. It would be near impossible for me to make it through a one hour meeting sometimes. Once again I backed off from drinking coffee again, since it was giving me the shakes, and making me go the bathroom constantly - not to mention I was having trouble sleeping or concentrating on anything when I got home.

Towards the end of that job, the company was going through some financial troubles, so they ditched the free coffee and replaced it with a coffee vending machine - the kind where it spits it out in to a little cup for you. That stuff was hideous, it literally tasted like muddy water.

6. SevenWays

SevenWaysNew Member

Threads:
    Where do you guys find these jobs with free coffee? At my last job they were just heavily discounted. The problem is that it tasted like black poisonous water, and this job was in Naples. Italian Naples, not in Florida. And coffee is really amazing there, wherever you go, while costing only 80 cents! For 30 cents more I decided to treat myself to a vastly superior coffee every day for 6 years.

The funny thing is, that small difference actually meant I spent 500$ more in all those years, so I basically worked half a month just to have a better coffee. But I can't say I regret it, a good coffee makes your whole day a little better!

7. TuRon Davis

TuRon DavisActive Member

Threads:
    I drink coffee at work and we are lucky to have the luxury of having the option to get coffee from either the machine or freshly brewed from our dining service. We have he best of both worlds gong for us. We have a machine that makes 10 different flavors off coffee and cappuccino plus a real coffee and cappuccino fresh brewed from the dine in. We are spoiled!

8. True2marie

True2marieActive Member

Threads:
    I guess this is the problem. The place I work at definitely does not serve Starbucks. I see a lot of people arriving to work in the morning with an iced latte. So, this speaks volumes of what they think about the coffee on the job. A few of them even get the hot stuff. However, there are others who can stop drinking it. One of my co-workers brings her own flavored milk to add to the coffee. She says that makes it taste good.

9. forextraspecialstuff

forextraspecialstuffActive Member

Threads:
    I'm not a coffee drinker so I pass on the free coffee at work. People I do know who drink coffee usually equate their work coffee to mud mixed with water--they just don't like it. I do drink tea and will occasionally use one of the free tea bags they leave out at work and it's not bad but definitely not as good as what I have at home.

10. beccagreen

beccagreenActive Member

Threads:
    Yes I would. I mean it's free right? Doesn't matter if it's bad it couldn't be that bad. If it's bad and yet drinkable and doesn't taste like crap then I'd say I'll go for it. I'd rather have free bad coffee than pay $20 for a slightly better one.

11. deathbyprayer

deathbyprayerActive Member

Threads:
    Well if it's good enough to drink why not? It's free after all. But in my case, my boss is kind of shady so if he offers any free stuff I'd generally stay away from those. If the coffee is bad well at least you don't have to pay for it.

12. allswl

allswlActive Member

Threads:
    I am not a coffee addict but I do drink at least one cup of coffee everyday. For me its a boost early in the morning and in the evenings when I goo workout. At work the coffee is the instant coffee and not coffee beans. I prefer the instant coffee as for me the coffee made from the beans tastes a bit too harsh. A few of my co-workers who never really drank coffee have come to love the coffee on offer in the office.

13. akiii123

akiii123Active Member

Threads:
    I do not mind having free coffee in my workplace. The stress of the job forces me to have a coffee every now and then. However, I am not a very great fan of coffee, but the tensions in the office lead me towards the coffee pots.
    I think it is fair enough that coffee is being given free in workplaces, otherwise half of a person's earning will be spent on things like coffee and their refreshments. I think that the workplaces needs to provide more refreshments to the employees to enhance their working ability.

14. sharpayvargas1

sharpayvargas1Member

Threads:
    My co-employees in my last job always take a coffee break so I just became one of the coffee-breakers. Lucky for you if your company give's free coffee as additional benefit. I don't eat breakfast before I go to work so a I need a coffee break for morning snacks and another one for the afternoon. I always bring with me my favorite mug and some biscuits or cookies to satisfy my hunger. I just hope that the free coffee comes with free sugar and creamer.

15. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I do drink it and we even get a variety of choices such as hot chocolate and even a few crackers. I usually just get water and some crackers to get me by so I don't end up starving myself until the next meal time. Coffee usually keeps me up at night no matter what time in the day I drink it so I try to just avoid it altogether and if I really wanted a warm drink I'd most likely just get the hot chocolate.

16. dizzykitsune

dizzykitsuneActive Member

Threads:
    I absolutely love the coffee provided by my work. They offer a huge selection of free creamers of all sorts of flavors. The variety makes it very enjoyable. It helps to keep us from running the same routine and gives us a little perk to our day.

17. pennylane

pennylaneActive Member

Threads:
    I'm one of those people who NEEDS coffee in the morning. I brew my own cup before work and drink it at work too. I'm lucky because the quality of coffee my employer supplies is very good. It's one of the best little perks. They also give us a variety of teas. I'm thankful because I've had past jobs where the employee coffee was cheap and terrible. When I had that situation I brought my own coffee grinds to work--I drink my coffee black so if the beans taste bad it's hard for me to drink.

18. chiofthenorns

chiofthenornsActive Member

Threads:
    LOL. I do. I am a huge coffee fan, so free coffee is a true blessing for me. I have to say that all the free coffee I have tasted is good though. I guess I am very fortunate that way.

19. JessiFox

JessiFoxActive Member

Threads:
    Well I work from home at the moment, so my employer doesn't really extend free coffee to me ;) but our apartment has free coffee in the lobby on weekday mornings that I sometimes take advantage of. It's actually not bad, and for free, why not? I love my coffee and starbucks or not, I'd still rather have some during the day.

20. DancingLady

DancingLadyActive Member

Threads:
    I don't usually, but mostly that's because once I'm at work, I have already had the caffeine i need to start the day and more would not be good for me. I have a relatively low caffeine tolerance. My workplace buys a local organic roast, but sometimes I don't care for how they brew it I guess, just too strong or something. Once in a while if there is a lot leftover from breakfast service I will have a little to help them get rid of it. No one likes to waste coffee if they can give it away to the employees.