Do you dye your hair yourself? Or go to the salon?

Discussion in Health & Beauty started by lrd913 • Oct 5, 2014.

1. lrd913

lrd913Active Member

Threads:
    I used to dye my hair by myself, what about the rest of you?

I found it was a much cheaper alternative for me. I couldn't pay $60+ for it every few weeks and with red hair it would have been a fortune. Anyone else do it yourself because of how much it cost?

I haven't dyed my hair for over a year. I decided to let it breath and become healthier. Now I'm ready to take the plunge again and take my hair back to a red copper.

Anyone all for salon visits? All for doing it yourself?

I usually can find really good deals on hair color. I buy the developer and color at Sally Beauty Supply and it has worked out well for me.

2. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I do a mixture of both, I touch up my roots with my own at home hair dye, I prefer Nice and Easy. If I go to the salon, it's when there is a Groupon or Living Social deal on for a full head of color as then I know I have a set price. There are some good salons at times on offer, so I am careful where I go. You should always leave two months in between dying your hair as over processing can make it look dull.

It can get messy at home, so it's a half day job with rinsing and tidying up.

3. mariee

marieeActive Member

Threads:
    I don't dye my hair. If I wanted to I would probably go to the salon, as my hair is curly long and delicate and I would want to make sure I don't damage it accidentally. One time I gave myself a purple streak by bleaching it then using semi permanent die. It looked ok but the bleach changes the texture of the streak and made it less curly than the rest of my hair so I never did it again.

4. 003

003Well-Known Member

Threads:
    My cousins generally go to salons because according to them they are not really familiar with the colors as the colors itself vary from one hair of another. It doesn't mean that when you see a color as it is in the sample, it would look the same when it's applied on your hair. So it's best to consult a professional hair stylist or a trained one for recommendations and solutions. But in times of fun, when they are just feeling like experimenting, they don't go at all to the salon, they just dye their hair themselves. And when it's gone far bad, they hurry to a hair expert and have their hair fixed so it's gonna look good again.

5. akiii123

akiii123Active Member

Threads:
    I prefer to go to salon rather than dye my hair by myself. Sometimes I feel it is a complete waste of money, but other times I find it very useful. I hate it when the dye gets scattered over the hair and is not applied according to how I had planned. The fear of misapplying the dye to the wrong part of the hair makes me go to the salon every time.

6. lrd913

lrd913Active Member

Threads:
    I should specify that I would do my roots every 4-5 weeks, not every few weeks. I know that over processing is bad for hair. I should have been more specific.

I'm never sure about salons. I don't want to pay for the service and then hate the color afterwards, I think that might be why I don't go to a salon much, if ever. I've never had a problem with it being messy when I dye my hair.

7. forextraspecialstuff

forextraspecialstuffActive Member

Threads:
    I have been coloring my hair for a few years and have always gone to a salon. I have a mix of blonde highlights and lowlights and don't want to do something that could look unnatural or damage my hair. The people I know who color their hair at home tend to do a permanent or semi-permanent color and some of them have great results and others after coloring their hair from a box a few times start to have color that looks a little flat.

8. Mayvin

MayvinActive Member

Threads:
    I use to dye my hair myself years ago but I really wasn't into the look of me with dyed hair. But it is a great way to save some money instead of going to the salon and spending a ton of money. After hearing more about the health issues with dying your hair especially black dye, I've made the point to stay away from it all together.

9. isabbbela

isabbbelaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I Always color my hair at home. I went to the salon maybe a couple times only when I dyed it red (long time ago, will never dye it red again!). Now that it's pretty much the same color as my natural hair, just to cover up some grey hairs (I'm 25 and already have some grey hair...), I do it at home. I buy na affordable brand of dye at the drugstore that is a really good quality one despite of the good price, and do it myself. It looks fine. As it's a médium brown color it doesn't really stain or faded. I have stained my White door in a couple spots, which is annoying because the dye won't come off, but still it's cheaper than paying 100+ bucks to do it at the salon!!

10. Jessi

Jessi<a href="http://www.quirkycookery.com">QuirkyCooke

Threads:
    I haven't dyed it myself but I think I would be fairly confident to do it if I was doing an all-over color.

The couple times I have dyed my hair, I have had my mom do it at home, though. So I still saved most of the cost by simply buying the box and making her dinner, lol.

11. kwriter93

kwriter93Member

Threads:
    Well, being a hair stylist, I kind of do both of those at once. I get salon quality color at home when I do it. I can only do it in solid colors when applying it alone though. If you notice, my picture shows two solid colors in my hair; blonde on top, brunette on bottom. If I were to do anything other than solid colors, I would need someone else's assistance, because precise multi-coloring is difficult when trying to DIY.

As long as you know a good bit about hair color and some recent experience coloring your own hair, doing at home is perfectly fine, but I will say this.. DO NOT GO BY THE COLOR ON THE BOX. It may show a picture of a woman sporting her toned blonde locks, but that ash toned color on already ashed toned hair will turn you gray. Also the same with warm tones on warm hair. I had a client come to me one day after trying to color her hair blonde with box color on top of her already burgundy colored hair. Her hair turned orange as a carrot and her grown out roots were the only thing that was blonde.

Always remember these things when doing it at home. Do a solid color, pay attention to the labels instead of the pictures, color will not lift color (use hair lightener "bleach" or color remover). Keeping these things in mind will help you create the perfect color at home. :)

12. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I don't die my hair although I'm starting to get white hair on the hidden layers of my hair. I think I will just do it myself if ever I decide to dye it because it's cheaper than going to the salon. My hair was dyed dark brown though by my dad while he was dyeing his hair just for fun when I was 13 years old, but I didn't notice any difference. It still looked black.

13. chiofthenorns

chiofthenornsActive Member

Threads:
    I used to dye my hair myself because the service fees in salons are very expensive. Anyway, I don't worry about coloring my hair anymore because I dyed it black recently.

14. May102014

May102014Active Member

Threads:
    I dye my own hair. I don't have enough money to go to a salon and have it professionally done. I wish I did because I know a stylist will do an excellent job. Although, I do a great job with my own hair dyes. I've been doing it for 4 years now and have become a pro at it. Sally Beauty Supply is my preference for hair treatment products as well. They have a great selection and the prices are reasonable.

15. Danyel72

Danyel72Active Member

Threads:
    I dye my hair myself. I have done it for many years and am always happy with the results. I have learned the ins and outs of hair dying so I normally don't have any problems along the way. I even dye my daughters hair too.

I have had it done at a salon a few times but it was soo expensive. It cost me way over $100!!! I couldn't believe it!! Yikes!!! So back to doing my own hair again. There is a huge difference between a $10 box of hair color and $ 100 !!

Danyel :)

16. lrd913

lrd913Active Member

Threads:
    My mom has dyed her hair my entire life and she showed me how to do my hair when I was 14. I've been doing it ever since. It really is so much cheaper. I wouldn't be able to justify spending $100+ on a salon visit, I just can't spend that kind of money. I think I'll be sticking to DIY for now.

17. insertkittyface

insertkittyfaceActive Member

Threads:
    I've never gone to the salon to have my hairdyed, I've always done it myself, it just seems so much cheaper and from doing it so much over time, I've learned the in's and out's of it, it's really not that difficult once you've done it a few times, you grasp the basic concept of hairdying.

18. dizzykitsune

dizzykitsuneActive Member

Threads:
    I'm too afraid to try to dye or bleach my hair myself.... I work in an office where I have to look presentable so if something went wrong then I could get in trouble. It's for that reason alone that I justify the cost of going to a salon every three to six months to get my hair cut and dyed if I so desire. Otherwise I'd try to do it myself, but the risk wouldn't be worth the savings.

19. DancingLady

DancingLadyActive Member

Threads:
    I dye my own hair with henna. It only costs about $7-8 dollars when you count the conditioner used to wash out the dye afterwards. It's a tedious process, but it really only takes about two and a half hours to do it. I would expect going to a salon would take about that long if you count the time it take to go there and come back as well. I do not want to use any chemical dyes on my hair as it is long and I don't want to damage it and cause breakage. Henna also fades out over time, so if at some point I can not afford the dye or have to put off re-dying for a while, it won't look all that bad.

20. lrd913

lrd913Active Member

Threads:
    I've never thought about dying my hair with henna. Do you buy it at any specific place? I don't care if it takes some time, I'm looking to save money and get a nice color. Plus, if it faded then I wouldn't be forced to upkeep it if I didn't want to any more.