Do you eat Sushi?

Discussion in Food & Drink started by H.C. Heartland • Oct 7, 2014.

1. H.C. Heartland

H.C. HeartlandActive Member

Threads:
    Do you eat Sushi? I have only had it a couple of times. But there is a Groupon right now for 'Yotsuba' which is a $40.00 value but on sale for $22.00. Over 5,000 have already been sold so it is highly likely that you will be able to have your Groupon in the end of the time period. If you do enjoy Sushi, then what is your favorite dish? And do you have any recommendations for someone who wants to make Sushi at home?

2. DancingLady

DancingLadyActive Member

Threads:
    My favorite is salmon. I usually have had home made sushi, in fact I can't remember going to a sushi restaurant ever. My dad knows of a great little Japanese grocer that has all the things you need to make it yourself. We did that a number of times and it is always wonderful.

3. Jessi

Jessi<a href="http://www.quirkycookery.com">QuirkyCooke

Threads:
    I do enjoy sushi and if the sushi place is a reputable location, then I'd say get it! It's the best way to get to try some new kinds without having to pay full price.

Many places also have discounts at lunch time, so check to see if they'll honor the Groupon during lunch hours and go then to really get the most bang for your buck.

4. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I like sushi as a snack rather than a meal, but it can be expensive for what it is, so using a voucher is a good deal if you like sushi. I'm vegetarian and I get some nice ones with peppers, cucumbers and avocado, so see how much a plate of sushi is first as some are expensive and if it includes other items.

5. Kitty Reeves

Kitty ReevesActive Member

Threads:
    I haven't eaten sushi in a long time, because every time I did, it make me extremely sick to my stomach. And seeing it obviously wasn't the filling making me sick (I only ate the vegetarian ones, and all they have in them is like, rice, avocado, and sometimes ginger) I think that it was the Nori doing it. ("Nori" is the seaweed wrapping on ALL sushi) Which is a pity, because I did genuinely like sushi, and my Dad is really big into it. Oh well.

6. JessiFox

JessiFoxActive Member

Threads:
    I love sushi, though I do try to be careful about where I get it, I'm a little hesitant to try new places for it sometimes. And I've yet to make it home, though it's on the list of culinary things I'd like to try, I think it would be really fun :). I love spicy dishes- spicy eel or tuna is always good :).

7. pennylane

pennylaneActive Member

Threads:
    I love sushi. I will eat any kind :) There are a few really good places near me. I could eat it every day if it wouldn't break the bank! I have wanted to try making it at home sometime soon. I attempted once before I college and we did not season the rice correctly. If I were to try again I think I'd have better luck now.

8. isabbbela

isabbbelaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I adore sushi, but where I live it's so expensive!!! Me and my coworkers try to go have Japanese food at least once a month, but going more than that gets complicated because of the price. But it's worth it for me to go every now and then! It's my favorite kind of food!

9. akiii123

akiii123Active Member

Threads:
    I enjoy eating all kinds of sushi. I first ate sushi when I was very young, thanks to my sister who loves sushi as well. I enjoy eating meat masala sushi the most, it is quite delicious and mouth watering. I also enjoy the sauce that is provided with the sushi as it makes the sushi very tasty. It is quite costly over here too, but once in a while I do not mind having it.

10. ohiotom76

ohiotom76Well-Known Member

Threads:
    I haven't had sushi in a while, but at my former job, it was pretty popular as an option when our department would go out for lunch. In fact, I had never tried sushi at all until I started working there a few years ago, and really didn't know how to order it - my boss had to explain it to me.

I think a friend of mine said it best when I asked him if he liked it or not - he was like "I'll never walk out of a sushi place saying 'boy, am I stuffed!'". That's pretty much how I feel. I like it, and enjoy it, but I don't love it and I seldom feel full after eating it. Most of the time I end up grabbing a sandwich or something shortly after eating it, just to finish filling me up.

I am also terrible with chop sticks, so I often feel a little intimidated eating it with some people, particularly if it is a work meeting.

11. chiofthenorns

chiofthenornsActive Member

Threads:
    YES! I ABSOLUTELY LOVE SUSHI!!!!

Now that you mentioned it, I am craving for some. :( I love going to Japanese buffets even if I am alone because of unlimited sushi. I love salmon the best because it is not too "fish-y". I really like its taste and texture unlike some people.

12. Danyel72

Danyel72Active Member

Threads:
    My husband and I both LOVE sushi!!! He got me started on it years ago and I swore I would never eat it. :) Just the thought of it I guess. Things changed over time and I grew to love it. I would suggest starting out slow and try things that are basic. Maybe fish that is cooked to get the feel of it. Then try tuna or salmon. Those are good to start with. I love my salmon with cream cheese and rice! So good.

We have only tried making sushi at home once and it came out ok. It's a process and after a while we were kind of over the whole process. Easier to eat it out!!

Hope this helps!!

Danyel :)

13. dizzykitsune

dizzykitsuneActive Member

Threads:
    I ADORE sushi. I also love sashimi. Goodness, I wish I could make it at home. I would be afraid of preparing it incorrectly and getting sick from the raw fish meat. If I knew how to prepare it, I would definitely be interested in learning how to make sushi to save money by eating it at home whenever I had a craving.

14. insertkittyface

insertkittyfaceActive Member

Threads:
    I've tried to like Sushi, I really have. I've tried it on a few different occasions but it has to much of a fishy taste for me to enjoy it.

15. Jessi

Jessi<a href="http://www.quirkycookery.com">QuirkyCooke

Threads:
    Wow, I'm surprised by that. Any time we go out for sushi, we're always so stuffed! I tend to order that "one too many" roll and end up finishing it anyway, so that's my own fault, but I never left hungry, that's for sure.

16. valiantx

valiantxActive Member

Threads:
    The most wholesome sushi order I get at a Japanese orientated restaurant, is the "Chirashi bowl", which is filled with rice on the bottom and a bowl full of various sashimi on top! It's usually the most expensive single order at a sushi restaurant, but the satisfaction I get from it is well worth it.

For DIY sushi, depends on what one wishes to make: rolls, served on top of rice, sashimi, cooked or uncooked, and what ingredients one desires to put in or on sushi. Its easier to make than one presume or even assume, and the usual ingredients can be bought at non-Asian stores, but it is best to shop at a Asian type store for sushi stuff. My quick tip for sushi rolls, place a saran wrap between the bamboo and seaweed/rice, because this will allow one to make better rolls without getting the bamboo roller sticky. There's lots of tips on the internet, simply Google what one wishes to make and proceed from there.