Do you enjoy playing games with stories?

Discussion in Movies, Music & Games started by lindbergh • May 17, 2013.

1. lindbergh

lindberghWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Do you ever enjoy playing games with stories like Resident Evil, Halo, God of War, Metal Gear, Final Fantasy and the like? Or do you just prefer to play pick up and play games like Zuma, Candy Crush Saga, Tekken or Virtual Tennis? For me, I enjoy all types of games but I enjoy games with stories the most (if the story is good). It feels like I'm watching a movie.

2. Teddysean

TeddyseanNew Member

Threads:
    I love games that can incorporate stories into awesome gameplay. Like Uncharted, for example, with stunning dialogue, character development, and awesome set pieces. Call of Duty Black Ops 1 has the most stellar campaign story, I love it.

Not that i don't mind playing a round of Peggle every once in a while, but I like some good ol fashioned storytelling.

3. lindbergh

Threads:
    Thank you for mentioning uncharted. It's one of my favorite game series on the PlayStation 3. The story is amazing. The dialogue of the characters make me snicker once in a while. Also, the new Tomb Raider game is rock solid. It's such a treat. It's like an Indiana Jones movie with more excitement and heart.

4. BlackSolaris

BlackSolarisActive Member

Threads:
    I don't see why i wouldn't. It's true that i prefer gameplay over story, but a game with a good story is always good. Games like Nier and Grim Fandango are good examples of great stories.

5. ReishiSpore

ReishiSporeMember

Threads:
    I think most games have a storyline really, but many times the storyline or 'plot' is not defined well enough, and the game feels lacking in entertainment overall because of this. I would say I do prefer to play games with an interesting storyline, because it improves the game.

6. Anna Blush

Anna BlushActive Member

Threads:
    I normally always play games that have a story behind them because it makes me more drawn to them. I love how they are much more interesting and therefore I can't imagine a game without a storyline at this point. It is just something I love to do.

7. oracewx

oracewxNew Member

Threads:
    Yes I do enjoy games with story line too. It's what they call RPG game. I do play both games with and without story line and I find that games with story line encourage players to keep playing because it is almost the same as watching a movie and the player gets to watch it on their own pace and at certain time the decision they make effects the outcome of the game. Whoever that came up with the idea to make a RPG game has my thanks.

8. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    No, I usually skip the cut scenes. I don't like seeing movies in the middle of my game, I'd prefer to just play. On some games, they probably work better, but most of them feel too forced and it takes too much of their effort to have to develop these storylines and cutscenes. If they had the extra time to make a movie, I'd rather they just used it in making an even better gameplay, or even just make more games.

9. inb4

inb4Member

Threads:
    Yes.

Stories usually make me much more immersed into the game on a whole different level. When I finish games with story lines, I feel THAT much more accomplished. Why? It's because I feel like I actually beat something that had meaning to it, while finding out how the story ties together and how it ends. (Edit: And cliff hangers !)

10. ohiotom76

ohiotom76Well-Known Member

Threads:
    I don't have as much patience nor the attention span these days to sink myself into an RPG. But back in the day (as in like 20+ years ago) I did spend a great deal of time on Phantasy Star, Phantasy Star II, Landstalker, and other games. Another really old school one that I loved was Mystery House for the old Apple II computer.

11. Anna_Bella07

Anna_Bella07Member

Threads:
    Yeah when the game moves like a story I will feel it interesting to go find out what's next :)

12. lindbergh

Threads:
    I also noticed that my attention span has shortened throughout the years. When I was in high school, I would play for hours with RPG games like Xenogears, Chrono Cross, and Final Fantasy. When I was in college, I moved towards God of War, Shadow of the Colossus, and Metal Gear. Now, I tend to play more sports games and fighting games like NBA 2K13 and Tekken Tag Tournament 2. But still, I love games with stories. Lol.

13. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I always prefer to play games that have a story to it, like Half Life, GTA, etc. because it makes the character and gameplay more interesting. But I also do enjoy playing games that don't have a storyline, like Tekken or Need For Speed, although the monotony sometimes makes me bored.

14. Esperahol

EsperaholActive Member

Threads:
    Of course. Heck I'm one of those people who actually bothers reading the books in Elder Scrolls and collects all the recordings and such even if they don't have. I checked every little piece of data I could for Fallout 3 and New Vegas... I mean it's just a serious thing for me.

15. SpiralArchitect

SpiralArchitectActive Member

Threads:
    There are times when a game's storyline can enhance the overall experience. The Shadow of the Colossus is a great example of the same. A poor story line will not affect the game if the play itself is good but a bad game cannot hide behind a good story. When both combine, the results are often instant classics like the game I mentioned and others like Red Dead Redemption, Bioshock, Last of Us etc.

16. vpresson

vpressonWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I like a little of both. As far as the story ones I like it if it's a good story line

17. DonnaIReilly

DonnaIReillyActive Member

Threads:
    Yes, I love games with a good story line. I think most good games out there have great story lines these days anyway. I find its better because it keeps you interested in the game and makes it more fun :)

18. indigo

indigoMember

Threads:
    I do sometimes. I really enjoy sports games, though, where you create the stories in your gameplay and the managerial mode. You chart the course of a franchise in the dynasty/franchise mode so you are really writing a story over time. I appreciate story lines in games in general but grow tired of reading lines of text in RPG's sometimes. I'd rather read a real book than read that stuff on a screen in a video game.