Do You Ever Actually Buy Pens?

Discussion in Office Supplies started by tulosai • Jan 10, 2015.

1. tulosai

tulosaiActive Member

Threads:
    It often seems like Pens are everywhere. I'm wondering whether anyone out there actually ever buys pens, and if so, why.

I sometimes will buy colored pens or markers, but other than that I tend to make through with pens I somehow pick up elsewhere. I actually have no idea how so many pens have managed to find me.

2. hellavu

hellavuActive Member

Threads:
    I think the only times in my life where I was buying pens was when I was going to start a new semester and wanted to have some reliable writing instruments, and they were cheap.

I cannot imagine buying them now with no special reasons. They really are everywhere. You borrow them from someone and it stays with you forever. Or companies use them for publicity. I bought a spy pen for my boyfriend's Christmas gift, but I think that's different!

3. missbishi

missbishiWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I haven't bought a pen since I was at college. There are always free pens being given out somewhere and we get quite a few promotional pens given to us in the office too. We don't use pens anywhere near as much as we used to though, so the ink generally lasts a lot longer these days.

4. Dora M

Dora MWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I am an artist and like to scribble and make drawings all day long. I need as many pens around my house as I can get. But the strange thing is that they always seem to disappear somewhere when I need them most. :) Also, the quality of pens these days varies widely. Even the alleged good brands often dry out quickly or start to leak. For that reason I like to have a selection of pens in all colors and different levels of thickness. I just keep buying them.

5. GoldenWing

GoldenWingMember

Threads:
    It's strange, I haven't bought a pen for weeks yet I have several at home. I don't know if it is that I have brought them with me accidentally from other places, but eh.

When I do buy pens I buy them in bulk for lower costs, and always of black ink. They tend to last me a couple months.

6. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I write my books longhand so I like specific gel pens for writing so I tend to buy ones I like in bulk. I can use up a pen every few days when I am writing at full speed. I do have a very large collection of freebie pens from hotels, but those are kept as standby pens or for taking a message or a quick note. Ballpoints aren't always reliable when it's cold so gel pens are important when I am writing and I have been caught out when a ballpoint has failed me. I tend to buy from CVS when they are on offer or Dollar Tree a pack of two as they are actually very good.

7. rikka

rikkaMember

Threads:
    I still buy pens because I love to write and draw. Whenever an idea stirs inside my mind, or when an imagination dances inside my mind, I have to write or draw it. In fact, I cannot live in a place without pens and paper! My room has to have at least two pens and some pieces of paper. My office drawer has a pen and paper. Even my bags (yes, my bags) have pen and paper in them. I just cannot get rid of pens. To me, pens are as vital as my wallet, keys, or smartphone.

#7Jan 14, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 14, 2015
  8. krazyman

krazymanMember

Threads:
    Great question...I don't know too many people who still make this purchase because the art of actually "writing" really doesn't happen to much anymore. Living in a digital age where everyone has a cell phone and a Ipad or other Mobile device, people store notes and lists and document on a cloud in cyberspace. Using folders and carrying papers have become a thing of the past. Don't get me wrong - people still use pens but people probably snag them from work or they find on the ground somewhere but to go to the store and purchase - not so much.

9. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I do buy pens but these days only when I really need one such as when I know I'm going somewhere where I'd have to sign forms. In that case I'd drive to my nearest convenience store first and buy one or two colored pens before going to my actual destination. I just buy cheap ones because I know I'll lose them eventually.

10. 003

003Well-Known Member

Threads:
    I don't buy pens. I use the pens that are given for free in some establishments, like banks and accounting office. I'm not really picky when it come to pens. I just use whichever that writes. There were some times in the past that I used to buy expensive pens, but they didn't work for me. I couldn't write comfortably with them unlike with the free pens, with which I'm able to write fast and legibly.

11. Feneth

FenethActive Member

Threads:
    I do buy pens because I'm a pen-snob. I love to write with pens that are smooth and feel nice in my hand. I like Dr. Grip and Jetstream and Uniball signo. Expensive sometimes but I keep them until they run out. I also like calligraphy so I buy those quills and ink, which can get pretty expensive but since I usually sell calligraphy service (for invitations and stuff), it evens out as a business expense.

12. Oyes

OyesNew Member

Threads:
    I cannot tell when last I have bought a pen with pennies out of my pocket. Since I left high school, which is umpteen years ago, I have never bought myself a pen. I guess because: whenever I borrow pens from others, I always forget the addresses :). So, what I normally tell my creditors, is to remind me after I finished using their pen or else, it is mines. Not all the time. :)
    Also, many persons seem to have them in abundance, and left them for others to take - especially at my work place - and I always be that person to pick them up off the floor or behind the PC's etc. :) So I always have pens. Check me for one if you don't have any.... :)

13. Sugarhill

SugarhillActive Member

Threads:
    I absolutely buy my own pens! I can't stand writing with those cheap Bics that businesses have on hand or give away. There is a reason why they are so willing to give them away, they are crappy pens.

I rarely loan out a pen as once people write with a real or better pen, they want to pocket my pen. So, what I used to do, especially when I was in college was have a "loaner" that people could use. That pen was still better than what they usually wrote with, but they knew that it was still a step down from what was in my hand.

14. Parker

ParkerWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I also still buy pens. I don't buy cheap ballpoint pens. I buy fine point gel pens and they aren't cheap. I have been thinking about buying an expensive pen, but it's pretty hard to find the refill.

I hope to one day be able to splurge on an expensive designer pens. I suppose I love pens.

15. hayrake

hayrakeActive Member

Threads:
    I bought one yesterday, as a matter of fact. It's the first one I've actually bought in I don't know how long. It's like you said, pens have a way of attaching themselves to you even when you make every effort not to walk off with one that belongs to someone else.
    I guess my collection of tag-along pens is running dry, though, because every time I pick one up lately I end up tossing it into the trash.

16. mizrael

mizraelMember

Threads:
    One of my biggest pet peeves is people that snatches your pen, it doesn't matter how much pen I buy and stock up on they'll be gone within a week, and then I have to buy another pack just so other people can walk away with it, I'm sure they don't do it on purpose It's more like a reflex, one of the worst things in the world is not having a pen to jot down messages when you need one.

17. DreekLass

DreekLassWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Lol. I love this thread! I've never been asked such a question. I have to say that I cannot tell you the last time that I actually purchased pens. I find that pens are really easy to come by, even the ones that write really well and compliment your awful handwriting.

Pens are really easy to lose - I'll agree with the poster above. But then they are also really easy to come by again. You can get a bunch from your local Argos store for free, even though you are not technically supposed to be taking them home with you. But the amount of times that I have accidentally forgotten to put them back after use is comical, and I know that this happens to other people too.

18. Kitty Reeves

Kitty ReevesActive Member

Threads:
    Well, I just bought a box of 30 pens for a dollar off Amazon, so I don't think I'll be buying anymore for a long while, haha. Our bank gives away free pens constantly, so most of my pens are from them. I do have some "nice" pens for when I'm writing in logbooks, but I got those a good long while ago.

19. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I used to pick up pens quite often when I was studying in this exclusive school during my grade school and high school years. When I transferred to schools with a much less tuition fee, I rarely pick up lost pens anymore. It just goes to show the economic disparity between the students of the 2 schools, the rich kids couldn't care less if their pens get lost. I used to pick up both cheap and expensive pens like sign pens and Parker pens before in that school. Nowadays, I just buy pens when I need them, I never bought them bulk yet though.

20. Allison2021

Allison2021Active Member

Threads:
    Since I misplace black colored ink pens so often, I buy a pack of ten pens whenever I shop at the Walmart super center. Walmart has the lowest prices for office supplies. Additionally, if I am traveling near a Family Dollar store, I will also stop by to buy a bag of pens that of various colors.