Do You Ever Buy Premium Food?

Discussion in Food & Drink started by cocolgooh • Apr 19, 2016.

1. cocolgooh

cocolgoohActive Member

Threads:
    I personally don't tend to do this, unless the cost of it is less than basic ranges. For example I was able to pick up some garlic bulbs for £0.10 each that were meant to be premium, whereas the basic ones are around £1 usually. It was a great deal so of course I bought those then. Usually though the price of them means I couldn't warrant spending more money on the product, as this tends to be the case. I've noticed in supermarkets when I'm doing my grocery shop though most of the carts have a few premium items in them. Are there any things you prefer to buy premium versions of?

2. Happyflowerlady

HappyflowerladyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I also watch for sales, and when something is being cleared out for a new version or style, then you can often get a really expensive item very cheaply. I shop at Kroger, and they have what is called "manager specials", where items are marked down to 1/3 to 1/2 of the original price. I have gotten some specialty coffees and teas, and seasonal items that were being closed out , by watching for these specials.
    Most of the time, I biy generic, and it is just as good as the name brand; but one thing that I am very particular about is yogurt. I just love the rich and thick greek style yogurt, and my favorite brand is called "Greek Gods" yogurt. It iss one of the expensive ones; but nothing else tastes as good to me, so it is worth spending the extra money to get something that I enjoy having.

3. steph84

steph84Active Member

Threads:
    I do but I only get it at Big Lots! You can find some smoked salmon there and some other cured meats for a fraction of their cost at other stores. I also buy these convenience packet Indian foods that are usually $5 to $6 at my international store and I get them from $1.80 at Big Lots.

4. DiscountDreams

DiscountDreamsActive Member

Threads:
    Yep. I had a $6 dragonfruit this month cuz I've never had a dragonfruit. It was not worth $6 in and of itself, but the experience was definitely noteable. Loved it :)

5. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I do buy premium whenever I have a good opportunity to do so, whether if it's a sale or if I just happened to have extra amount in my budget at that certain time. Most of the time I'll buy premium if I think that the cheaper version would be that much less in quality that I'd end up not being satisfied with the purchase and if that were the case I'd often rather just pay a bit more for the satisfaction instead of buying something cheap and ending up feeling sad about it. When I do this I just lower the frequency instead and that way I can still taste the food I like but just not as often which I think is an even trade.

6. Corzhens

CorzhensWell-Known Member

Threads:
    The mention of premium food reminds me of steak which is very expensive in the supermarket. But in the regular market, beef is much cheaper. Our favorite is the porterhouse cut which is the prime cut that commands the highest number. But since I can get it cheaper in the regular market, it is like getting a discount in the supermarket. When porterhouse cut is not available, I would settle for sirloin.

7. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Sometimes I do because life is too short to be frugal all of the time. I usually buy when it is on special, or if it's a treat like a birthday or something. It depends on the brand, because Mark and Spencer and Waitrose will always taste better than Morrisons.

8. GemmaRowlands

GemmaRowlandsActive Member

Threads:
    I will usually buy the cheapest food possible without compromising on quality of course, but sometimes if I am looking for specific items that are out of stock in the cheaper range then I will indeed buy the pricier option. I don't think that it is good to try and save money all of the time, as it can sometimes stop you from enjoying certain things about life.

9. ACSAPA

ACSAPAWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I definitely buy fancier foods when they're discounted and occasionally I pay full price for a gourmet food item as a special treat. Even if I am a thrifty person, you only go around once and it's good to enjoy the finer things in life every now and then.

10. bogo

bogoMember

Threads:
    Same with me. I rarely get meat at the supermarket, unless it's a deal I can't refuse. The smaller mom and pop shops always have such higher quality and know what they are talking about. If I am getting steaks, I want them to be the best possible given the price of beef these days. Maybe it is a dollar or 2 more, but when you factor in the cost of my enjoyment too, it's definitely a better deal.