Do you ever feel bad buying big-ticket items?

Discussion in Computers, Electronics & Gadgets started by andrew320 • Jan 23, 2013.

1. andrew320

andrew320Active Member

Threads:
    Since I moved out on my own six five years ago at the age of 20, I've never purchased a television because I didn't want cable and I wanted to save my pennies. After five years, I finally decided to purchase a television (24" Signia LEDTV) and it was $129.99 plus tax and some stupid eco fee. I had the money, I didn't use credit and I could definitely afford it, but I just felt dirty when I bought it and walked home with it. Do you ever feel this way?

2. Yurika

YurikaActive Member

Threads:
    If you really need it, then why should you fee dirty? For me, it's ok

3. dissn_it

dissn_itActive Member

Threads:
    I think everyone has felt this way after scrimping and saving for a long time and then all of a sudden, a big splurge on spending. Now that I am much older, I tend to see it more as a reward for all the hard work. Give yourself a pat on the back for not using credit to get something that you not only wanted, but also probably needed.

4. Bloomatic

BloomaticActive Member

Threads:
    I have a strange relationship with money. Money is a necessary good for everyday but I don't sympathize with it. For that reason, when I have to make large purchases I don't feel remorse. The main function of money is the exchange, is just a paper with a socially agreed economic value. We must remove all emotion to tickets and so we can enjoy more intensely our budget spending. Anyway, that feeling that you refer is quite common. :p

5. Parker

ParkerWell-Known Member

Threads:
    No, I always feel good when I save up money to buy something special for myself. It's so much better than using a credit card to buy something before I can afford it.

6. classicnyer

classicnyerActive Member

Threads:
    Only when I buy something I definitely didn't need at the expense of something I did... which rarely happens anymore (though I have some youthful regrets). I got my current tv for free at freecycle.org, and I didn't feel bad about it at all.

7. deansaliba

deansalibaActive Member

Threads:
    It sounds to me like you feel that you have sold out on yourself. This is nonsense of course, you haven't sold out on anything. :)

I don't splash my cash that often but when I do it is normally a bit exciting to be buying something big. Like Saturday I will be buying a new HTC phone for $200. :)

8. classicnyer

classicnyerActive Member

Threads:
    If you need it, you have the money, and you're not putting yourself in debt to do it, why the f not, haha?

9. ohiotom76

ohiotom76Well-Known Member

Threads:
    I was about the same age when I moved out, but I was working two jobs at the time, so I used one job to start buying furniture and appliances and other stuff to be ready for when I moved out - so I didn't feel so bad about it. I kept all the stuff stored in my parents basement until I was finally ready to move. I figured if I bought the stuff up front, I wouldn't be tempted to spend the money on other silly things here and there instead of saving it for when I moved out.

10. Khronic

KhronicNew Member

Threads:
    I would sometimes get this feeling if I wasn't completely sold on a product. One way I have combatted this is to research intently on what I'm in the market for. This will make me confident in my selection and remove those fears.

When of comes to impulse buying big ticket items I never do it. It has never led to anything good.

11. BlackSolaris

BlackSolarisActive Member

Threads:
    I often feel like this. Is not anything that i really needed, but thinking like that, i would only live the minimum possible. If i have the money that i can spend, even if it makes me feel a little better, i will just end up buying.

12. delco

delcoMember

Threads:
    All the time. I get this gut-wrenching feeling anytime I spend a lot of money. It's probably a good sign, because I don't do it often.

13. scottyxx

scottyxxExpert

Threads:
    Me too, it always seems like so much money. The bad thing is in Canada they add the tax AFTER the price, so I am like, Oh $500 thats not too bad..then they add 13%, then they add an environmental fee... urg, it crushes my heart!

14. Sandra Piddock

Sandra PiddockExpert

Threads:
    from other posts you've made, it's clear you're financially responsible, so don't feel guilty - enjoy your purchase, which you've worked for and earned. Heck, it's not even a widescreen tv. You paid for it, and it's yours. Have fun - you haven't forgotten how to do that with all the saving, have you?

15. ChanellG

ChanellGActive Member

Threads:
    Never! If you're going to work and be responsible you may as well have some luxury items. A TV or a computer are not that extravagant. It's not like filling up your home with useless things just because you can.

16. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I feel this way too with big purchases, but mostly when the item is not something I really want. I think if the item was something I'd want enough to obsess over it I'd feel a little less dirty and remorseful. I am guessing that is mostly where that feeling stems from, for me anyway at least. If the item is something I know I am just buying out of automation or something I don't really want to spend money on but have to, then in kind of feel bad or guilty, but if the item is something that appeals to me wholly I am less anxious about my decision.

17. djdontpay

djdontpayActive Member

Threads:
    Well, my story is completely opposite. When I got my first job, a few months later I got my first credit card with it too. And with that cc I bought a big tv and a ps3 - on emi of course. I used not feel bad at all. But, a year ago, when I realized that I hadn't saved up or invested anything, I went crazy and now I live frugally :) So, I know what you mean, although essential is still essential, but I haven't splurged in a long time.

18. thenextGeek

thenextGeekActive Member

Threads:
    Nope. Whenever I buy "big ticket items", I make sure that I really want that item and that I have the financial capacity to do so. When I say financial capacity, it means that spending a large sum of money on something won't affect the future growth of my finances. By practicing this method, I'm always at peace financially whenever I buy items that are deemed to expensive to most people.

19. ohiotom76

ohiotom76Well-Known Member

Threads:
    I wouldn't fret much over spending $120. I would only get uncomfortable when I started spending in the thousands.

Speaking of buying TV's, when I was headed off to college in the early 1990's, my dad took me to an electronics store to buy me a TV to bring up there with me. At the time, it was only a small 21" TV, and it cost nearly $400. Fast forward several years later, when I got my first apartment and finally moved out on my own, I went into Best Buy to get myself a TV and was elated to see they had a large 36" TV for sale for only $150. This was right when flat screens were just starting to come out and the price of traditional CRT TV's were dropping very quickly. I felt like I snagged such a huge deal when I brought it back to my apartment.

Think of it this way, that flat screen TV you bought would have cost well over a thousand dollars back in the late 90's/early 2000's.