Do you ever get headaches whenever you tie your hair?

Discussion in Health & Beauty started by chiofthenorns • Nov 16, 2014.

1. chiofthenorns

chiofthenornsActive Member

Threads:
    I noticed that I the back of my head aches whenever I tie my hair. I was worried that it was caused by stress before, but I realized that that is not the trigger. Do you ever get headaches when you do this? What do you do to manage them?

2. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I have long and very thick hair, so the sheer weight of a ponytail gives me a headache. I try to keep the ponytail low as there is less stress on my scalp and let me hair down whenever I can. If I have to have it up I keep it tight and retighten it throughout the day. You can add slides and grips instead around the sides so you can have a looser pony tail, but I prefer a clean look.

3. DancingLady

DancingLadyActive Member

Threads:
    I only have this problem if I put a pony tail way too high, then the weight of it pulls on my head. If I do it low I don't have any problems. Maybe try doing a bun and using some bobby pins to distribute the weight and pull more so it isn't just weighing on one part of your head.

4. JessiFox

JessiFoxActive Member

Threads:
    I do have this problem sometimes...I don't know what to do to manage it really, I just don't put my hair up that often. Part of it is preference in regards to style and how it feels, but part of it is preferring not to have a headache, too :p.

5. xTinx

xTinxWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I'm not sure if "headache" is the right term for it. What I do know is that every time I tie my hair in a pony tail, my scalp hurts and my hairline feels like it's been stretched far too long. Sometimes it depends on how tightly I've tied it. When I just settle for a bun, I feel more comfortable.

6. maryannballeras

maryannballerasMember

Threads:
    Yes, it has happened to me before but that was only because I tied my hair really tight. Of course, ever since I experienced that, I never tied my hair that way ever again. This time, I always make sure that even if I tie my hair up, it's still a bit loose and won't stress me so much. As you see, I've learned my lesson the hard way. You can also do the same thing.

7. tangela

tangelaActive Member

Threads:
    When I tie it really really tight, then yes. I notice when I do that though I can almost immediately tell it's too tight and know that I will probably get a headache later. This is one of the biggest reasons why I don't like to put my hair up as much, but when I do I try to not tie it as tight.

I also wonder if there's a way to prevent this other than not tying your hair up, because let's face it some stuff you do you MUST tie your hair up!

8. Dora M

Dora MWell-Known Member

Threads:
    It sounds like you are tying up your hair too tightly and irritating certain nerves. I sometimes get a similar irritation from combing my hair in the wrong direction. Occasionally, it hurts for days until the pain settles down. I have very long hair, and these days I don't tie it up anymore, I loosely pin it up with hair clips. I don't like the strain from hair bands.

9. Hedonologist

HedonologistActive Member

Threads:
    I don't see how this could be possible actually. The muscles that are usually responsible for headache are not going to be affected by hair tieing. I can't see a connection anyone, unless one could explain? I assume they are different from other headaches.

10. NikkiDesrosiers

NikkiDesrosiersActive Member

Threads:
    This is something a lot of people experience and it typically means that you are simply tying your hair back too tight. If you have heavy hair and this is causing it - try tying it higher up on your head as this will reduce the strain and weight of the pulling on your hair. Be careful if you like your hair tied tight -- repeating this over and over can actually recede your hairline back.

11. Serena

SerenaActive Member

Threads:
    I have gotten headaches when I tie my hair. This is usually due to me tying my hair too tight or tying it too high up on my head. Sometimes I do not realize that I have tied my hair too tight. If this is the case, then I take a tincture to calm the headache and then I untie my hair. If I notice immediately that I have tied my hair too tight or too high, then I just loosen it up so I won't have a headache.

12. AtlantaSports

AtlantaSportsActive Member

Threads:
    I have just recently gotten my hair to the point where I could actually put it up or tie it in a certain way. I have not had my hair tied long enough for it to actually give me a headache, but I have noticed some soreness or some aching parts on my head if I leave that in for too long. I guess I am one of the select few lucky ones, who really knows.

13. clairebeautiful

clairebeautifulActive Member

Threads:
    Yes, all the time, especially in summer when I'm constantly putting my hair up wet (I know, a big no no, but whatever).

Best thing for me is to make sure my hair is dry when putting it up, keep my pony tail or messy bun low, and try to give my hair a break every once in a while. I also massage my scalp with a brush or comb. And, finally, I get my hair thinned every time I get it cut. I have super thick hair also. Ugh.

14. missbishi

missbishiWell-Known Member

Threads:
    For me, it's not like a headache as such, it's just that my hair starts hurting, if you know what I mean. The roots start to feel sore and the only way to make it stop is to take it down. I only ever get this problem when I tie my hair up with a band, there's never any issues if I use a jaw clip.

15. 003

003Well-Known Member

Threads:
    Not all the time. Only the times when I have tied it too tight that after sometime I feel like my head is too heavy and so I credit the headache in the tightness of the tie whenever it comes after I tied my hair. I try to tie my hair at only enough tightness. Maybe it's what you should do also.

16. wahmee

wahmeeMember

Threads:
    I get that too my head feels like it will fall off and burst. Migraine alert! I just use butterfly clips instead or leave it open.

17. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I used to have this problem until I started noticing where the headaches were coming from and now I use better bands so that my scalp doesn't get too much stress. Nowadays I don't get headaches anymore as I don't tie my hair as tightly as I once did and also the material of my bands are a lot less painful.

18. Lushlala

LushlalaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Yes, I too get this. Sometimes when I wear my hair in a ponytail or wear a hair band, my whole head starts aching. Sometimes it still hurts even when I've loosened it considerably, so my solution is just to remove the band or take my hair down. The "headache" soon goes away. That's why I almost always opt to wear my hair down.

19. JosieP

JosiePWell-Known Member

Threads:
    For those who get a burning sensation.. that's inflammation. Here I go again, time to turn away, because I blame FOOD lol. I never used to put my hair up because my hair would hurt at some point. It's your scalp.. it's inflammation and it's in your diet. I can put my hair up every day now and no issues at all.. changing my diet took care of all inflammation in my body.

Sorry.. had to do it. I'm the food spaz :p

20. DreekLass

DreekLassWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I used to wear a lot of headgear. I was more of a baseball cap person throughout my teens, and then I moved onto beanies, and then head scarfs. Particularly with the head scarfs, I have noticed that after a while you'll get a headache. I am aware that this also happens when you tie your hair back too. But most of the people that I speak to about this - they say that the same thing happens to them when they wear things on their heads or tie their hair back for long periods of time.