Do You Ever Get Tired Of Cooking The Same Things?

Discussion in Food & Drink started by Zyni • Feb 6, 2015.

1. Zyni

ZyniWell-Known Member

Threads:
    My family is kind of on the picky side, so we have our regular meals that I know everyone will eat and enjoy. Sometimes, I get bored cooking the same old stuff over and over though. I like to try new things, but they generally aren't too keen about it, and I don't like wasting food. I guess I'll just have to try new sides, or try incorporating new things a little bit at a time.

Do you get bored cooking the same stuff?

2. Lushlala

LushlalaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Yes I get bored too; thinking of creative ways to diversify your meals because it becomes too samey and boring and having a fussy eater for a husband is very challenging. What's worse; my husband prefers really bland food! No condiments or dressings of any type are allowed for a start. Sometimes I wish we didn't have to eat LOL

3. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I don't mind because I have traveled a lot and lived in places where I had no cooking facilities and now appreciate cooking my favorite foods. Once my kitchen ceiling collapsed and I had no cooker for a year because of an insurance dispute and the joy of cooking my own bowl of pasta was a delight. That's why I don't mind, because I think back to having to live off microwave meals and instant noodles.

4. LAGuy

LAGuyMember

Threads:
    I tend to make the same things over and over, but recently have started making Indian food. For some reason it hasn't been a problem grinding spices, toasting spices and finding really strange ingredients at the local Indian grocer... all so I can have some amazing Dals...

5. Squigly

SquiglyActive Member

Threads:
    I agree that it can get boring, but you should try making new dishes in moderation. Make sure that you stick close to the recipe, make smaller portions and taste everything you make to ensure that your new dishes are an inedible mess.

6. isabbbela

isabbbelaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I definitely do get bored. Just yesterday I was planning to stop being lazy and trying new recipes because having pasta all the time is making me bored with my cooking already! I think you should always vary so that both you and your family don't get bored with eating the same thing all the time.... even if it's the best meal in the world, you are bound to get tired of it if you eat it all the time!

7. Gelsemium

GelsemiumWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Actually, I don't. I am not very demanding, so whenever I have food in my plate I am happy. :) I can cook some dishes that I rotate, the wife does the same and sometimes we eat out, so we do have some variety.

8. Zyni

ZyniWell-Known Member

Threads:
    That is very true, Gelsemium. I am grateful that I have good food to eat, and we don't go hungry. Sadly, there are too many people that do go hungry. If my biggest complaint is boredom, I guess I'm well off.

I also understand the joy of cooking after not being able to cook for some time, Theo. I've been there too. It is wonderful to be able to cook your own meals in your own home.

Thanks for putting me back into the right perspective guys.

9. Pat

PatWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I get bored having to cook the same thing over and over. I feed two teenage boys, one eats everything he can get his hands on, not picky about anything as long as it is food. The other boy is picky and has started to prefer cereal or peanut butter and jelly instead of the meal I have cooked

10. blueeyes

blueeyesActive Member

Threads:
    I do get so bored with the same meals over and over. Cooking is not one of my favorite things but I really don't care for is coming up with new ideas....the cooking is the easy part. I continually hear from my roomie, that he wants something different. Well if he would come up with an idea now and again, maybe he would get something different.

11. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    You can cook the same things but cook them differently each time. There are lots of recipes which you've never tried that could give the same food [you've been cooking over and over and over] some uniqueness. While yes, it's the same food, it tastes different each time you cook it and maybe, for that reason, neither you nor your family will get bored of it.

12. klassiter

klassiterActive Member

Threads:
    I definitely get tired of eating the same things. My husband can eat the same thing everyday. I like variety. I enjoy switching up my meals and trying different things. I usually try at least one new recipe a week. I think it is fun to learn to make and try different kinds of foods.

13. missbishi

missbishiWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I have exactly the same problem with my partner. He's just so picky! He won't try anything new, certain foods have to be a specific brand and any suggestion I make is dismissed. But when I ask him what he'd actually like to eat, he's like "I don't know". Aaargh!

14. hellavu

hellavuActive Member

Threads:
    I... don't really cook the same stuff over the weeks. I will happily eat the same stuff for a week if it's leftovers, but there's no way I'm cooking exactly the same thing twice, haha. If it's a cut of meat, it can always be spiced and arranged different, after all. Actually, same goes for many things!

15. ohiotom76

ohiotom76Well-Known Member

Threads:
    That's one of the perks of living alone and only having to cook for yourself, being able to switch things up whenever you want and not have to deal with other picky eaters. Sometimes I hate cooking for larger groups of people for that very reason, no matter how well you make something, there's always that person(s) who find something they don't like about it, and start nitpicking.

I do tend to make a lot of the same things though for myself, but part of it is due to trying to keep my grocery budget in check, and I don't want to waste too much money on specialty ingredients I will only use once or twice before they go bad.

Once in a while I will try something a little different, like make chicken with Chinese 5 spice powder, or some type of curry blend, for a change of pace. But I'm not super fond of those, so I don't use them very often.

16. LAGuy

LAGuyMember

Threads:
    Oh my God is that true... I once found a recipe for coconut something or other Indian food, and thought it sounded so good that I would quadruple the recipe! It was vile! We ended up throwing it away.. it was inedible...

17. IcyFirefly

IcyFireflyActive Member

Threads:
    Yes, I get tired of cooking the same dishes, but my son is a picky eater, so instead of making two separate meals, I make the same thing. When I try something new, and he doesn't eat, I ended up buying him something that he wants to eat. Spoiled rotten child :) but I can't send him to bed with empty stomach.

18. Andrea Phillips

Andrea PhillipsActive Member

Threads:
    I do get bored sometimes, so I experiment with different seasonings. Things like potatoes and rice can be made in so many ways. I like doing different sauces too, they can change the flavor. Sometimes I am not bored because if I make a dish really well, I want to do it again to enjoy it more. I do have my favorites that I never tire of.

19. Rosyrain

RosyrainActive Member

Threads:
    I do get bored of making the same foods and have been digging up new recipes left and right this last couple of months. My fiance likes to try different foods, but my son is the picky eater in my home. I usually have to make something plain for him. He sometimes tells me that he would like to cook when he grows up, and I remind him that he can't just sell corn dogs and honey and peanut butter sandwiches in his restaurant. Hopefully his pallette will expand as he grows up.

20. Mockingbird

MockingbirdActive Member

Threads:
    Nope, in fact I am one of those people that could eat the same thing for days if not weeks in a row and it would not bother me in the least. I get on food binges where I just have a taste for something and that's what I will eat. Of late there has been many a day when it was a grilled cheese sandwich. The one thing we never ever get tired of in this house is pizza, we eat probably way to much of it. Followed closely by milk, for adults we drink a crazy amount of milk. We just are not that picky about food, about the only thing no one but me will eat is tuna.