Do You Ever Give Gag Gifts

Discussion in Gifts & Flowers started by Blossom • Nov 24, 2015.

1. Blossom

BlossomActive Member

Threads:
    I have a friend who almost always gives gag gifts. Sometimes she will start off with the gag gift and then end up pulling out a more meaningful gift. Every year I look forward to spending my birthday with her because she makes it so much fun because you never know what to expect. One year she actually drove to my home to bring the gag gift the day before my birthday. It was beautifully wrapped and I figured since she drove 20 minutes to get there, that surely this must be a really meaningful gift. All I could do was laugh when I unwrapped it and saw that it was something she probably spent $2 on. So, I have started giving her gag gifts although mine are not quite as creative as hers are.

2. H.C. Heartland

H.C. HeartlandActive Member

Threads:
    The best gag I saw recently wasn't actually a gift but a surprise. My brother and his wife were living out of state and were not expected by the family to be able to attend his in-laws 40th wedding anniversary party. As the family who was able to attend gathered infront of a drawn black curtain for a family photo they waited behind it unbeknownst to her parents. The photographer was in on the gag and so was not shocked when two heads appeared just in time to snap the photo from behind the curtain (it was my brother and his wife). When the photo was finished being taken, they quickly drew back behind the curtain out of site. As the mother looked at the photo after it was taken to see if it turned out good, she was startled and then excited to see the heads realizing what it meant - that they had shown up for her party. She began screaming in glee and they came out and it was hugs all around.

3. Ke Gordon

Ke GordonWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I haven't given gag gifts myself but I have seen others give gag gifts and they are funny. Last year I turned a gift into sort of a gag, because I gave gloves to two members of the family who favored opposing sports teams, so we had them play fight for a pic. It was kind of funny.

4. Krissttina Isobe

Krissttina IsobeWell-Known Member

Threads:
    :oops:I too have never given or received a gag gift. The ones mentioned here are nice gag gifts that make you laugh or bring family together. I believe any gift is a kind gesture and if it doesn't hurt anyone why not? I kind of stay away from gag gifts. I don't like to be surprised at all, so you can guess that I don't like gag gifts.

5. prose

proseActive Member

Threads:
    My younger brothers are both into zombie films and television shows. Last year, I put together a Zombie Apocalypse Survival Kit for them, which was a camouflage ammo case full of nonperishable food items, lighters, first aid kit, etc. I also put some of their favorite sweets in it and a zombie movie on DVD that they had not seen yet. My brothers really got a kick out of it, it was definitely the best idea for a gag gift that I have ever given.

6. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    The only time I gave a gag gift to someone is when my friend was getting married. I wanted to give him something that would remind him of our friendship and why he should value it even though he was getting married.

These days since I buy gifts only for my neighbors kids and young relatives, I can't give any of them a gag gift.

7. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I also haven't given or received a gag gift yet, but if I am certain that the person will love the gift then why not, right? I think gag gifts are ok to give as long as the person is already close to you and you guys are comfortable joking around with each other. However, I don't think gag gifts are the ideal gifts to give to your superiors for obvious reasons.

#7Dec 6, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 6, 2015
  8. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I have never given one or received one. I just don't find them useful or funny, but that's me. I've received some gifts that I thought was a gag, and they weren't (candlesticks and a necklace, despite my never wearing jewelry), so I can't really understand why people would waste money on gag gifts.

The only time I can see they have any place is a hen or stag party where they are expected.

9. Corzhens

CorzhensWell-Known Member

Threads:
    From what I remember, I have given my husband an ash tray that comes with a lighter. When you pick up the lighter, you will feel the electric currents, not slight but it will jolt you. And when the lighter is lifted from the ashtray case, a sound of laughter will be emitted that would tend to add to your embarrassment. At first we thought it was cute but when several people have been embarrassed by it, we disposed of it. That was my lesson in gag gifts.

10. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I am not that much of a fan of gag gifts to be honest but I don't mind giving them out as gifts because they are for the most part amusing. I just try and make sure that whoever I give them to will be one that will appreciate them as I always try my hardest to match my gifts to the personality of the recipient. If someone gave me a gag gift I wouldn't mind that much either but I'm not the type that likes to keep a lot of items displayed so most of the time I just tend to forget about them after a while, unfortunately.

11. DreekLass

DreekLassWell-Known Member

Threads:
    No, I don't really give gag gifts anymore. I used to give them to any and everyone when I was much younger and in my teenage years. One time I purchased one of my friends a voice changing device. It was for Halloween. These days I buy people gifts that they want or gifts that they can get some use out of. I'd probably get my friends gag gifts though, because I care less about them? :/ Lol.

12. Pat

PatWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I wish I had that type of humor. I have never given a gag gift or received one.