Do You Ever Receive Emails From . . .

Discussion in Scams = To Good To Be True started by AnonaMoss • May 18, 2012.

1. AnonaMoss

AnonaMossActive Member

Threads:
    Do you ever receive emails from stores you shop at claiming that an item you ordered has been canceled. The return address looks legitimate, but when you click it takes you to a dangerous site. This situation happened to me recently.

2. ilike2save

ilike2saveNew Member

Threads:
    No, that has never happened to me. Thanks for the heads up! It is crazy what these scammers can come up with. SMH.

3. beckyv1265

beckyv1265Active Member

Threads:
    I got an email saying there was a problem with my checking account at a bank . I think it was Wells Fargo. Lol I don't have an account there. It said they were suspending my online checking account unless I verified my account information.

4. Mrs. Pirz

Mrs. PirzExpert

Threads:
    This is just spam - be aware. Usually these emails drop viruses in your computer. I had a trojan affect my computer through a spam email once and I had to restore the whole thing because I couldn't get rid of it. If it seems like a scam it probably is.

5. BarelyHangingOn

BarelyHangingOnActive Member

Threads:
    There is a known Amazon one that people have been getting lately that is a scam. I also see ebay and paypal emails of the same nature. I use a gmail for my online shopping and when it goes in the mailbox gmail knows that it is being sent from an email address that is not the one being displayed in the From line and sends it to the spam box.

Depending what program you use you can look at the source code and see the actual email address that it is being sent from and tell that it's not legit.

6. AlwaysAMama

AlwaysAMamaActive Member

Threads:
    I have gotten those claiming to be from Amazon. However the email account they come to is not even linked to an amazon account. I think Amazon is an easy target though because a lot of people do have amazon accounts.

7. trident252

trident252Member

Threads:
    I get those emails all of the time and I ignore them every time. All of these emails are always scams and they could be trouble if you click the links in them.

8. Sandra Piddock

Sandra PiddockExpert

Threads:
    I tend to go back to the site through my browser and log into my account, if I don't recognise the return address. That's the best way to avoid being taken to a scam site, and any changes to the status of your order will be logged there. I've also had emails saying there's a problem with my bank account. Again, I just delete the email and log on through the usual process. These scams are annoying, but most of them are so blatantly obvious you'd have to be a complete idiot to fall for them.

9. Adeal4u

Adeal4uActive Member

Threads:
    I can't say that this happened to me, but thanks for letting everyone else know. I will watch out for email scams like this one. There's always someone trying to get your money or your private information. I wonder does anyone actually fall for these scams?

10. dexterlablab1

dexterlablab1Active Member

Threads:
    I have. And those are emails that are more than likely phishing scams trying to get you to "check" your information. They aren't really from those stores, they're just made to LOOK like they are so you forfeit vital information to them. Just delete them and mark them as spam

11. dissn_it

dissn_itActive Member

Threads:
    I haven't received any emails like these but it is good to know about it. Thanks for the heads up and if I do see any I know to just mark them as spam. I have got text messages on my phone about my debit card being compromised and to call a phone number. I contacted my bank instead and they said it was a scam that they had just found out about. They posted a warning about it on their website.

12. Linky

LinkyExpert

Threads:
    No, I have not. But I say that I received an email from my bank, warning me that scam emails are being sent to people and that we should not engage. I was grateful for them alerting me as I do my banking online. One just needs to be careful.

13. clewand550

clewand550Active Member

Threads:
    I have received emails like this in the past. I have never opened them though. I figured that if I didn't order anything recently, then there is no need to open them up. I figured it was just some kind of spam. Thanks for sharing this and confirming my thoughts.

14. j_pin

j_pinActive Member

Threads:
    Yes, this a very popular tactic for internet scammers. UNfortunately alot of people of lost a lot of money this way :( Make sure you are always on the real site before entering any kind of personal information!

15. addicted_buyer

addicted_buyerExpert

Threads:
    Who was the e-mail apparently from? Make sure to check the sender's address and that it ends on @storedomain.com. Say I buy an item on dealextreme.com; the e-mail must come from [email protected].

16. love2loveu

love2loveuMember

Threads:
    I think it happens to most people. I just delete them right away. I am pretty hip to all of these email scams so I just mark it as spam. Its a shame people are so hungry for money that they will try and steal by all means necessary.

17. Isabellas2007

Isabellas2007Active Member

Threads:
    I always delete those emails. They are nothing more then a phishing scam trying to get your information. So you have to be cautious with those emails and only look at what orders you know you have placed.

18. tosaytheleast

tosaytheleastActive Member

Threads:
    I have never had received an email like this one but my friends have received it. Since I am the techie guy in my group of friends they will ask me what to do so since I don;t have an idea what this all about, I just tell them to ignore it if they know that they have not been involved in these kinds of transactions.

19. gorickeo

gorickeoNew Member

Threads:
    I've never had that before if it was from a store I know and something I knew I'd ordered I'd ring them.

I'm very warey with emails and always hesitate clicking links if I must I check the URL over and over till I can be 100% sure it is the company I'm dealing with and even then I'm cautious about what details they want me to give same over the phone if there are numbers in the email do a google search to make sure they are legitimate to be honest you can never be too careful these days scams are few and far between.

20. love2loveu

love2loveuMember

Threads:
    Yes! that happened to me the other day but I just ignored it because I knew I did not place any orders. Also, never click on the link that is in the body of the email. Go directly to the correct website. I know its a scam to get your personal information and banking information I believe.