Do You Feed Your Pet Treats?

Discussion in Pets started by Sue • Jul 24, 2015.

1. Sue

SueActive Member

Threads:
    Do you buy treats for your cats and dogs or do they just have their regular food? If you feed them treats, what types of treats do you buy them?

My cats always look forward to their treats. I don't give it to them often but they are always happy when I do. I usually buy the Temptation treats. I don't know what is in them but they go crazy for them.

2. dandeliion

dandeliionMember

Threads:
    Absolutely! My cat is completely spoiled. I buy her treats every time we go to the grocery store. She definitely loves temptation treats! I also get her the soft Purina ones. We give her about ten a day haha and also give her some milk about once a week.

3. LeopardJones

LeopardJonesActive Member

Threads:
    I’ve tried, but my cat’s quite picky. She’s never really cared for treats much. So it’d be a waste of money if I bought them. Can’t decide if this means pets resemble their owners, or vice versa, haha.

4. Diane Lane

Diane LaneWell-Known Member

Threads:
    When I have a little extra money, I will splurge on a package or two of cat treats. I don't give them too many treats, because I can't always afford them, and don't want them to be disappointed, but sometimes I will also give them human food treats, such as a small piece of cheese, which they love. I don't have one particular brand of treats that I buy, just something that is on sale and in a flavor they like. I have used coupons for the treats, though, and if I get coupons in the mail or elsewhere, that could sway me as far as which brand I buy.

5. Feneth

FenethActive Member

Threads:
    I don't buy commercial treats for my dog. For training treats, I grab the cheapest grain-free hotdogs I can find. Then I cut each hot dog into tiny pieces, about the size of a mint. Then I toss the bag in the freezer, taking out what I need each day. My dog LOVES them, is motivated to work for them, and is perfectly happy to eat them frozen or only partially thawed...and a $3 pack of hotdogs gives me training treats for a month or more - and we have at least one training session 4-5 days a week because he loves training time and it amuses me.

His chew toys are long-lasting non-edible ones, like galileo bone, because the cheap edible chews just upset his tummy or are choking hazards. I do splurge occasionally at the local dog bakery for biscuits too.

6. Corzhens

CorzhensWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I used to buy the so called Milky sticks, a jerky stick made of chicken meat. Our 3 dogs love that. But when 2 of our dogs were diagnosed with something not good, we decided to stop giving them Milky Sticks for snacks. Now, we just fry sweet potato for their afternoon snacks which the vet said is healthier than processed food like those Milky Sticks.. which is expensive since it is imported from Thailand.

7. DreekLass

DreekLassWell-Known Member

Threads:
    We used to have a hamster some ten years ago, and we used to buy him the usual hamster food most of the time, because the treats were a little bit more expensive from the pet store that we used to shop at, at the time. Anyway, every once in a while, we'd get him some treats, and we were always so excited to see him eat them them. But his reaction to them were never that grand lol.

8. ohiotom76

ohiotom76Well-Known Member

Threads:
    Yes, we always gave our dogs treats as well as some occasional table food - especially during their older years. We would even take the dogs out for ice cream from time to time at Dairy Queen. Now that we have cats, we give them treats too, but each of them are much pickier about which types of treats they like, and none of them like table food at all. Actually, more than anything, they prefer wet food over any type of cat "treat". On the scale of things, cat treats are in the middle, dry stuff at the bottom, and wet stuff is their fave.

I think it's good to treat your pets on a regular basis - it helps grow your bond with them, even if it may seem like you're just "buying" their affection. I've definitely noticed a couple of our cats in particular who were rather mean to us at first, start to warm up to us more quickly when we rewarded their good behavior with treats.

9. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I don't buy pet food [preferring to make it myself] so I never buy treats for pets. That doesn't necessarily mean that they get no treats ever. Any time I feel they deserve to get a treat [or it is a special occasion (like birthdays for example)] I'll make them something "extra special."

10. isabbbela

isabbbelaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    For our kitten, I still don’t feed him any treats because he is only 3 months old. But I will sometimes feed my dog treats, usually dog cookies and colorless dog bones. I will not feed him with anything colorful because those have harmful pigments that might give dogs allergies or some illnesses. He also loves mango!!! But whenever I notice he is not eating so much food, I will give some “healthy” treats.

11. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    We buy our cat fish and boil it for him, but that's about it. We don't go to the supermarket to buy him treats. Maybe when I see one and the price is affordable then I would buy it.

12. JosieP

JosiePWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I don't buy treats for my pets.. it's just as junky as the food on the shelves, but with more "crack" in it lol. I don't see the point in feeding cats a treat that actually works against their health.. but that seems to be how we treat ourselves too. The taste buds are more important. Treats for my pets are actual foods (foods they are meant to eat) and they adore them. If you want to "buy their love" please do it healthfully.. they already have a lot to deal with eating the highly processed, garbage diets most of them are on.

13. PupLove

PupLoveNew Member

Threads:
    I have 3 dogs and feed them all treats. They are all on a schedule as far as their diets go, which may make me sound crazy, but it really does help their digestive systems! They eat twice a day, the recommended amount for their weight on the bag, a mid-day snack, and a bedtime snack. I treat them like my children, they are very spoiled! I buy Purina One for them food wise, so any treats I purchase are made by Purina brand.

14. Jamie Hensley

Jamie HensleyNew Member

Threads:
    I have 3 dogs, all adopted. A pug, a jack russell mix, and a pit. I usually make their treats, but when I don't have that, they get hotdogs. They love them. Limit the hotdogs, they will cause weight gain :) My pug found that out the hard way!

Here is the recipe for the treats, in case anyone is interested:
    1 1/2 cups whole wheat flour
    1 1/2 cups white flour
    1/2 cup peanut butter (all-natural or organic)
    1 cup water
    2 tablespoons oil

Directions:Preheat the oven to 350 F. Combine oil, peanut butter and water. Add flour, one cup at a time, forming a dough. Knead dough into firm ball and roll to 1/4 inch thickness.

Cut into 3 to 4 inch pieces. Place on an ungreased cookie sheet. Bake at 350 F for 20 minutes. Makes 2 1/2 dozen cookies.

I have 2 cats as well. Pounce is always good, but I make treats for them as well. Yes, they are all spoiled :)
    6 ounces of undrained tuna
    1 cup cornmeal1 cup flour
    1/3 cup water
    Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Measure all of the ingredients into a bowl and mix thoroughly with your hands. Roll out to 1/4 inch thickness and cut into treat sized pieces. Place on a greased cookie sheet. Bake for about 20 minutes or until golden

15. MichelleVL

MichelleVLMember

Threads:
    To my cat I give Temptations and to my dog I give Beggin' Strips. They absolutely love them and it makes me happy to see them happy. Sometimes I reward them with the treats, and other times I just give them the treats when they ask. I don't know, they just have his particular way of asking for the treats that I know what they are referring too. It's like by their body language I'm able to tell if they want food, or if they are asking for treats.

16. Ke Gordon

Ke GordonWell-Known Member

Threads:
    yes...when my cat is especially good, haha. No, I just give him treats when the mood strikes me. He is wild for them. I think I have Temptations treats now, and he so totally enjoys them...it is fun for me as well. I just get a kick out of watching him eat them. It is one of the fun things about having a pit.

17. morgoodie

morgoodieActive Member

Threads:
    I buy my dogs treats and when I had cats I would buy them treats too. I do not give them to them very often maybe just once a day. I do not want them to get too used to it as some of the treats can be expensive. They love to get treats and my one dog just goes crazy when I ask him if he wants a treat. They can also be good for training.

18. mett1982

mett1982New Member

Threads:
    I use to buy treats for my dogs from the grocery store all of the time. Just like the milk bones treats and others treats that I thought they would like. I would even buy those rawhides for them more time to time. Then I read that rawhides can be toxic and dangerous for your dogs. I wasn't until my Alaskan Malamute was chewing on a rawhide and almost choked on it that I completely stopped giving them those kind of treats. When you have to stick your hand down your dogs throat to pull out a big chunk of a rawhide, you learn that giving this to your dog is a big mistaken. Most mass produced treats like you get at the grocery store has no nutritional value for your dogs. So why give them to your dogs?

Now-a-days I only give my dogs fresh vegetable snacks. Both of my dogs love that they get to eat tasty and healthy treats. I give my dogs carrots, green papers, snap peas, green beans, bananas or apples. My dogs literally for bananas for bananas! With these healthy snacks, I know my dogs are eating something that will benefit them in the long run.

19. AngelaMc

AngelaMcNew Member

Threads:
    I always try to keep cat treats in the house. My two favorite brands are Pounce and also Temptations treats. I have four cats and they all love when I shake that bag or bottle. They do come running.

Each cat has different flavor favorites though, some like the salmon better than the other varieties for example. I've tried making homemade treats also I found the recipe on Pinterest. All you have to do is buy a large can of the moist cat food, slice it thinly, and bake it in the oven until it drys out completely. Then crack it into small pieces. Your cats will thank you

20. Alexandoy

AlexandoyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Our 3 dogs are ultra spoiled by us so you will be surprised that we don't give them treats. We used to give them jerky but when 1 of our dogs got sick, we stopped giving them treats completely. And the substitute is fried sweet potatoes which is a healthy snack for dogs. Sweet potato is their snack for several years now. No need to say that it is much cheaper than dog treats.