Do you feel like food prices are still on the rise?

Discussion in Food & Drink started by savergrl • Aug 27, 2012.

1. savergrl

savergrlMember

Threads:
    Between my packages getting thinner and thinner and contents shrinking just as fast it feels like a double whammy! I hate that the face of the package is still the same size yet that cereal box is only an inch thick now!!!!! It seems like prices are rising even as boxes are getting smaller.

2. ohiotom76

ohiotom76Well-Known Member

Threads:
    Yes and no actually. If you're shopping at places like Whole Foods - which are insane with their prices and have become more popular in recent years for "foodie" snobs, then yes. But farmers markets and discount grocery stores have been popping up a lot too which I've been saving a lot more at than what I used to spend on certain items at the regular chain grocery stores.

3. Sandra Piddock

Sandra PiddockExpert

Threads:
    This idea of shrinking carton sizes and charging the same has been going on for years now, but people are just starting to notice it, because it's becoming more blatant. Chocolate bars are the biggest culprits for that - they're around half of the size they used to be. Another thing is that you don't get such big savings on buying larger packets, so that's another insidious way of increasing prices through the back door.

4. andrew320

andrew320Active Member

Threads:
    Of course! But you can blame our wonderful central economic planners for these problems. The main issue here is that it's not just the rising cost of food, but the devaluation of the money in our wallet. The rising cost of food is the effects of inflation that men like Mark Carney and Ben Bernanke put us through!

5. mountainside

mountainsideActive Member

Threads:
    For sure. As you mentioned, the containers are getting smaller, as the prices go up or remain the same for a smaller portion. I had not bought any raisin bread for a while, well it was $5.99, the last time I got the same bread, it was $3.99. That's quite a jump.

6. Parker

ParkerWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I shop at Trader Joe's and having been noticing that items are the same price, but the content has been less. I would rather have the content/volume to remain the same and just raise the price. It seems more upfront.

7. ACSAPA

ACSAPAWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I just noticed yesterday that it happened with coffee. I bought some Maxwell House coffee in the new awkwardly shaped container that is mostly a big gripping handle with a small space for coffee. I compared it to the old Maxwell House container that was mostly coffee with a small handle. The new container is 28 ounces, the old one was 34 ounces. The price went up a little. I guess they expect me to pay extra for a bigger handle to hold ,even if I get less coffee. I'm not stupid. I kept my old 34 ounce container and will be refilling it with whatever bagged coffee is on sale that week.

8. xStylezx

xStylezxMember

Threads:
    This is a great post! Very funny that they try and get slick like that. Like shoppers never check how much value we are getting for our dollar. haha :D

9. marvelz

marvelzActive Member

Threads:
    Yea, and it's something that is only going to get worse as time goes on. Fair enough they do something for the environment by cutting back on bulky packaging but charging us more for less than we used to get is pretty ridiculous.

10. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Yeah that's one sad fact of life. The prices will just continue to increase as time goes by. Sometimes they maintain the price but shrink the size or weight of the food, and sometimes they do both. We just have to try to scrimp on our food to prolong our consumption for as long as we can, so that we can save a little money.

11. trishgl

trishglActive Member

Threads:
    I've noticed the same thing these last 6 months or so that products I have bought for years have less in the packages than before. Some boxes are still the same size but the product inside contains maybe 50 grams less. I've also noticed a slight increase in prices every couple of months and it really plays havoc with my budget :(

12. Yurika

YurikaActive Member

Threads:
    Absolutely, prices are rising not only food price. A few days ago, i picked LCD TV but forgot to pay. Two days later the price just rose by $20. :mad:

13. mrsgeedee

mrsgeedeeActive Member

Threads:
    Yes, the prices of foods are continuously pricing. Even if there are some that decreases, you would always see that the packages or contents get smaller too. Just look at how expensive getting a decent slice of meat now. And just look at the horse meat issue that's surrounding the EU lately.

14. Linky

LinkyExpert

Threads:
    Yes, prices are increasing and packages are becoming smaller. The only way to beat it is to watch prices and go to stores where you can save, even if it means buying in bulk. They are smart but in order to not come up short...you have to be smarter.

15. melovesengland

melovesenglandMember

Threads:
    Some companies try to reduce the size of the food and let the rpice remain as it is. Some are making it more bigger but more dearer. It undoubtedly getting ridiculous these food prices now while the wages and taxes are still up sky high!

16. Pat

PatWell-Known Member

Threads:
    The size of the container getting smaller and the price staying the same or higher has been clear to me for some time. The cereal boxes are much smaller, even at the discount store you can see the disappearing act going on, things are getting smaller and smaller. There was a story on tv some time back that said the manufactures felt they would prefer to reduce the size of the container than raise the price of the item. It seems to me we the consumer got the squeeze from both sides, small size and still raised the price, which mean we have to buy the item more often because we are not getting enough.

To solve this problem, I have started to make the item from scratch if I can. I stopped purchasing cake mix, that I used to make cookies and muffins for the family, I now make it from scratch like back in the day.

17. pamelalalove

pamelalaloveNew Member

Threads:
    Definitely! No matter where you go it seems the quality of things are getting poorer and the prices are on the rise. I remember when $100 dollars could get me a nice whole cart of groceries, now I am spending twice as much. It's a shame because it's already expensive to buy good quality products and ingredients, but it's becoming a task to look for discounts and deals that are actually worth the trip to the grocery store. Sometimes I have to stop at multiple places to find bargains on the things I want, and this goes for groceries and household items as well. I wish that they would quit shrinking the products if they're going to keep raising the price. At least keep the quality and quantity the same.

18. ACSAPA

ACSAPAWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I found an article with a list of some big food companies that have started putting less food in their packages. Nice that one candy company made their candy bar 11% smaller in response to anti-obesity activists but they kept the price exactly the same so that they could make 11% more profit.

19. difrancprod

difrancprodBanned

Threads:
    I would have to answer the question with yes because until I stop seeing coupons out here, then that's the time I could say that prices have cut back. And I'm one of those people who uses coupons to save. The amount of discount I get is actually astonishing sometimes so I'm so grateful for those little papers! :)

20. Jessi

Jessi<a href="http://www.quirkycookery.com">QuirkyCooke

Threads:
    So would I. I bought chips the other day and realized that the biggest bag of the brand I wanted was half the size it used to be. I ended up not buying them at all. I could have bought two bags to compensate and have enough for a few extra bucks, but that wasn't the point. I just hated the idea of them trying to pass them off as the same.