Do you feel that you go overboard at Christmas?

Discussion in Toys, Kids & Baby Stuff started by GemmaRowlands • Sep 8, 2014.

1. GemmaRowlands

GemmaRowlandsActive Member

Threads:
    When I was growing up, I thought that I was spoiled by my parents on my birthday and at Christmas. I would always have a sack full of presents to open on Christmas Day, and would then be given even more during the course of the day by other family members and friends of the family. Now, though, I see how much people seem to spend and it makes what I received, which was A LOT, seem like nothing. I see children with piles of gifts that must take all day actually get around to opening!

Are you like this? Or do you think that it isn't all about how much is spent?

The ironic thing is that most children, particularly the younger ones, will spend more time playing with the boxes that the gifts came in than the actual gifts themselves. And if they have just one or two new things to play with, they will be more than happy about that!

2. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    It's OK to go overboard on Christmas, most parents will say.

I'm not a parent and don't intend to be a parent either so if I have to spend any cash on Christmas, it'll be because I want to not because I have an obligation to buy a kid gifts.

There's no need for parents to spend too much on gifts for Christmas. Even just one gift, as long as it's new is good enough for a child. Isn't it much better to buy a kid one cheap gift each month rather than get lots of gifts at once in Christmas day?

3. ACSAPA

ACSAPAWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I have a 16 year old, and she is the only person that I buy Christmas gifts for , period. I don't feel that I go overboard because I only buy a handful of special items that she really wants.
    I don't buy random cheap junk on sale. I carefully look for the exact items that she wants at the lowest price I can find. Since she is only one person, I don't feel like I have to buy her a bunch of cheap toys and junk. I can afford to buy one person a couple of good gifts. Even if I buy her 5 Xbox 360 games, that are $20 on a price drop, that means I have only spent $100 on Christmas overall and she gets 5 games that she wants.

4. Amanda K

Amanda KActive Member

Threads:
    My son is only eleven weeks old, so this Christmas probably won't be a big deal to him. It is the Christmas that will set the traditions that will continue when he's older. I want to be careful to make sure he understands the spirit of the holidays. I also know I will want to watch his eyes light up when he gets the perfect gift. I think you are correct, ACSAPA. It is about the quality of the gift as they see it, not the quantity. While part of me wants to spend every penny I have trying to make him happy, the adult in me understands that if everything is handed to him easily he will never appreciate the value of anything.

5. chiofthenorns

chiofthenornsActive Member

Threads:
    Always! My thinking is that it is okay to go overboard when giving gifts for Christmas because it is the season for giving. Also, when I give gifts, I don't know why, but I always end up getting them back in return, twice! I just love seeing the smiles on the faces of my parents, siblings, and nephews when they open the gifts I give them. Seeing them make me very happy, too.