Do You Find Yourself Hating The Holiday Season?

Discussion in Seasonal & Holidays started by Esperahol • Dec 21, 2015.

1. Esperahol

EsperaholActive Member

Threads:
    Because while I love the concept of Christmas, the reality is honestly rather horrible. People are rude, selfish jerks on the road and in stores. All the seasonal hires are ignorant and tend to make the shopping experience godawful. Prices are completely out of whack, I hate the five song loop they have for Christmas songs, and I've been hustling like mad to get a bit of extra spending change. Also the Christmas season started in September this year so I may just be completely burned out.

How about you?

2. Jasmine2015

Jasmine2015Active Member

Threads:
    The holiday season, like Christmas, is supposed to be religious. I don't like how businesses have high jacked this time to make it about buying products when it's supposed to be about religious celebration. Otherwise why not make all holy days about saving big bucks? I do agree that customer service can get a bit rougher during the holiday season. Haven't you seen how nuts people go just for black friday? Customers will not only stump on each other but the staff as well.

3. MyDigitalpoint

MyDigitalpointActive Member

Threads:
    I can't says to hate Christmas, but to hate consumerism indeed, same as the nonsense hustle and bustle prevailing these days. As @Jasmine2015@Jasmine2015 notes, this is supposed to be a religious celebration, nothing to do with the "values" advertising is selling us.

But this happens all year round; Holy Weak is another time in which people whether religious or not, should take a break for spiritual or simply inner introspection, but advertising push people to go on shopping to go for party, excess drinking, etc.

The sad part of this, and in the case of Christmas, is that consumerism has killed not just the real sense of the season, but those sensations of joy we used to have attached to it.

4. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I hate pretty much all the things you stated especially the Christmas songs in stores that are mostly the same everywhere you go. However, I find myself warming up to it more and more the closer I get to the actual day and this happens to me every year. I hate myself for not being consistent but I can't help it. The art I actually hate the most is having to travel and deal with extended family as I'd much rather just stay home with my own family but even then I can't say in hate it that much as well.

5. Esperahol

EsperaholActive Member

Threads:
    Well, I love the Christmas movies and I enjoy seeing at least some of my family, and I love the look on the kids' faces when they wake up and go tearing into their gifts. I just hate most of the rest of the stuff... Also the full day's work cooking I have to look forward to... so much fowl and stuffing.

6. Krissttina Isobe

Krissttina IsobeWell-Known Member

Threads:
    :oops:Seems you are a bit burnt out like the rest of us that are feeling the budget pinch at Christmas. Don't worry they'll love your Christmas gifts. To beat all the things you're going through some of us do things early. We beat the traffic, the other burnt out sales staff and you'll be having a super holiday time instead of being burnt out. Don't worry, it's going to be okay. Take a deep breath and have a wonderful holiday season.

7. jneanz

jneanzActive Member

Threads:
    I used to hate it but after surviving illness and the recession, my feelings have changed. While I agree retailers have gone insane, some are slowly finding the spirit. I think shopping addicts should spend time with the less fortunate during this time of year.

I also like to hear the song by live aid. Though more than 30 years old, I'm no longer nostalgic about getting older but happier about right now.

8. Corzhens

CorzhensWell-Known Member

Threads:
    It is exactly the opposite because I love Christmas time and I enjoy Christmas time. In fairness to me, I receive Christmas bonuses from our office that is equivalent to 2 months of my salary so you can guess that I have a full budget for the gifts. Yes, my circle always have a Merry Christmas because everyone has a gift from me. For this year, I had prepared something different and bit more expensive for them.

9. Lushlala

LushlalaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    There was a time when I felt exactly like you when I lived in England. I always found the retail sector spoilt the whole meaning behind Christmas because the commercials and displays went up as early as September. -and then the same, tired music would start, making me feel rather depressed. Now living in Botswana, I've noticed the same culture has trickled through and the hoards of people everywhere is just too much! I feel indifferent to Christmas now. It just doesn't hold the same meaning it did when I was growing up :(

10. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I don't hate Christmas, but I did when I worked in retail, because it was all about targets and saving your job. There was always pressure to achieve, and it took away any Christmas spirit. That's why I stopped working, because it just makes you cynical.

It is too commercial these days, but I think it's nice for the children to see family and learn to give to others.

11. JosieP

JosiePWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I will never allow my happiness to depend on others. I may as well hide away forever then. Christmas is a beautiful time of year, no matter the reason for celebrating. Why would I ruin that with worries of other people? Why let them affect me that much? It's my choice. If I let it all get to me.. that's me handing over the reins to everyone else and just sitting back and soaking up all the negativity. Nope, would never choose that. They can have it and ruin their days with it. I like feeling good. I like happiness lol... so I choose that instead. I block out the grumps and feel sorry for them. I celebrate and live the life I want. Please don't give into it... it's big and it's heavy and it steals moments that can never be lived again.

12. Rosyrain

RosyrainActive Member

Threads:
    I used to enjoy Christmas much more when I was younger. I have had a much harder time loving it now that I am older and see how greedy people are. It really takes the spirit of Christmas away. I have also had some financial troubles the last couple of years and end up feeling guilty that I can't buy the perfect gifts. I am really planning ahead for next year.

13. MyDigitalpoint

MyDigitalpointActive Member

Threads:
    I'm feeling much the way you do; sometime ago, and regardless the season of the year, I used to look at it from the approach of finding myself getting older.

Today I'm enjoying to be growing old and that is making me recover some tolerance that I began to lose throughout the years.

14. ohiotom76

ohiotom76Well-Known Member

Threads:
    The older I get the more I just wish Christmas season to be over and done with as soon as possible. The manic consumerism is annoying as hell - not only on the road and out in public, but even on TV as well. I also get particularly annoyed with those damn bell ringers for Salvation Army due to their long history of discriminating against LGBT folks. How would they like it if we started standing outside of stores ringing a cowbell asking for donations to the ACLU or GLADD? To make matters worse, they make it a point to call you out each and every time you walk in and out of a store, which is some seriously annoying passive aggressive crap. Whom and when and what I choose to donate to charities is my business, stop trying to shame me each and every time I go in and out of a store. If I personally would rather give actual food items and donate my time to helping out at a local soup kitchen, vs dropping money in a box or bucket (a large portion of which ends up padding some executives pockets) that's my business.

15. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I've never hated the holiday season and don't think I ever will. The shopping and the need to spend a lot of money around Christmas time could annoy some people or stress them up [if they don't have the money]. This is why it is always advisable to do your holiday shopping all year round. When Christmas comes around, it will be just like any other time of the year because you won't be spending too much money.

16. Lushlala

LushlalaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    You know, @Denis Hard@Denis Hard.....every single year, we plan to do our Christmas shopping all year round to avoid the usual mad rush in the run up to the festive season. It's not rocket science and makes a lot of sense. BUT do we do it? Eh, no. Don't ask me why, because I honestly don't even know myself . It's just weird! I really envy those people who can follow through with this method.

17. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    What of using visual reminders? They could at least motivate you to try. I don't know if it could work though. Lots of times I've tried to use visual reminders to get something done but I keep procrastinating but it's worth a try nonetheless:)

18. DreekLass

DreekLassWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I cannot say that I have ever hated the holiday season. But I have definitely held disdain for it in the past. Mostly due to the fact that I was not able to buy gifts for those that I loved, because I was not earning enough money. But now that I am earning enough money to be able to express my appreciation and love through one or two gifts, it is better. Mostly though, I just really enjoy the relaxed atmosphere.

19. Ke Gordon

Ke GordonWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I am not fond of it anymore. There is a lot of pressure and stress to spend money. Also, I find despite my trying not to, I have expectations for the holidays and it is sad when I feel I am disappointed by loved ones. I think the best idea for Christmas is to have no expectations., and be happy whatever happens. I do like the holiday sales though.and some of the parties.. that is one thing I do enjoy about the holidays.

20. purplepen88

purplepen88Active Member

Threads:
    I too find that Christmas has turned into a money grab for businesses and you are made to feel you are not a good parent unless you are getting your kids the latest and greatest toys. I find that Christmas has gotten too commercial and we've lost sight of the real meaning of Christmas. I spoke with a colleague and she is giving her nephews a card that says she has made a donation in their name to different charities. I think that would be a better way to spend all that money we spend at Christmas time. My own family we are now cutting back and only buying gifts for the kids and only spending under $25. We are trying to be creative and thoughtful.