Do you get along with your in laws?

Discussion in Off Topic Discussion & General Questions started by JosieP • Dec 21, 2013.

1. JosieP

JosiePWell-Known Member

Threads:
    For those who are married, do you get along with your in laws?

I've always had a great relationship with parents. I adored my exes parents and they liked me as well. This is the first time ever that I've disliked the parents and to make matters worse, they're for life. I never thought I'd be in this position, but here we are and we make it work (by never being around each other lol). I do wish things were different.. but with these people, it just never will be. Which is fine. Acceptance.

How about you? Are you one of the lucky ones that has a great relationship with the in laws?

2. tspires2

tspires2Member

Threads:
    I don't dislike my mother in law, she is just really set in her ways. I have found that I have to change all of my plans to suit her needs. She can be somewhat rude of grumpy at times and I have learned that I just have to bite my tongue. She is my husbands mother and when I choose to marry him I choose his whole package, some of which is not that great. I have found even though it sometimes sucks for me just to keep the peace it is better in the long run. I would hate myself if we never saw her because of me. I know it can really hard at times but something's we just have to do because it is the right thing to do. My situation may be completely different from your so just my opinion! Good Luck with your situation!

3. vpresson

vpressonWell-Known Member

Threads:
    a

I use to get along with my mother and father in law until my husband started going to them talking badly about me and now it's just uncomfortable! So I guess you can say now we are just civil! I have a daughter from a different relationship my husband has been in my daughters life since she was 3 months old. His family hasn't been very accepting his mother and grandmother are kind of but his aunt and her daugthers have downed me and my daughter since day one! For one because she isn't his and for two because of our race my daughter and me are Mexican and white but we aren't full white so we have been looked down cause of it. I tried not to let it bother me but it got worse when me and my husband had our own child now my son is 2 and my daughter gets thrown to the side and my husband allows it. My daughter has been cut out of photos of her and her brother she has been ignored and talked about! She is only 3 and half years old and she has grown people bad mouthing her and treating her like nothing simply because she's mine and her race. Good thing is these people are thousands of miles away from us so I don't have to deal with them! And I no longer take my daughter to see them!

4. smlewis00

smlewis00Member

Threads:
    Oh boy, this is a loaded question! Do I get along with my in-laws? The simple answer is no. However, it is more complex than that.
    Soon after my husband and I got married, my husband's job transferred us hours away from our family. Every since that move, my father-in-law has disliked me. He does not like the fact that I encouraged my husband to pursue his passion in electrical engineering. His father instead wanted his son to take over the family business. My father-in-law thinks I have sabotaged his family business by "allowing" my husband to work elsewhere. Please know that I in no way told my husband not to work in the family business. My husand's heart wasn't in it, and he is passionate about engineering. I told him to follow is heart and his dream. In his father's eyes, I pulled their son away from home, their family, and the family business.
    My mother-in-law has not cared for me from day one. My husband is her baby. He is the youngest child of three. In her eyes, no one is good enough to care for her beloved baby. She has made it clear to everyone she knows that she does not care for me. However, to my face she acts like I am wonderful. Funny how people still play those games outside of high school. My mother-in-law went so far as to cause a huge scene days before our wedding. My mother-in-law and father-in-law split up in the mist of our enagament. Because of their bitter break-up, I sometimes think they dont want to see anyone happy or in love.
    I hate that my relationship with my in-laws is so terrible, but I don't see it changing anytime soon. The important thing is my husband and I love one another very much. We loves his family no matter what. They are crazy, but we love them. Who's family is perfect, right?

5. ACSAPA

ACSAPAWell-Known Member

Threads:
    My ex's mother was very similar to Marie Barone from Everybody Loves Raymond, even down to criticizing my cooking and parenting skills. So, although I had many other issues with my ex, I think my ex's mom was a small part of it. She later went senile and is sweet and harmless in her old age, so my my ex's new wife has only seen the pleasant side of her. Life is funny.

6. stacyje

stacyjeActive Member

Threads:
    I get along with my mother law from a distance it like when we are around each other we bump heads.She feels that she know what best for her son. Instead of me getting mad I just stay my distance and talk to her on the phone whenever.

7. True2marie

True2marieActive Member

Threads:
    I don't have any in-laws. So, yes, I get along with them famously. (ha, ha, ha)

Seriously, from an outsider looking in, I believe the people who get along with their in-laws the best are the ones who respect their position and ignore any negative habits. Of course, it helps if the in-laws are cool people and accepting of them, but that does not always happen.

8. Oakster

OaksterActive Member

Threads:
    I get along well with my in-laws, I've been with my GF for nearly 10 years so that helps :)
    It was a bit tricky for the first couple of years, before I got into my head that there was nothing to be afraid of :)

9. JosieP

JosiePWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Oh, I'm the last person to accept negative habits, I don't care who they are lol. My in laws are nasty people... but very passive aggressive, so they think they can get away with it. And usually do! I could go on forever and ever about their "bad habits" and their iffy pasts. I'm not one for holding someone's past over their heads, but if they've learned nothing and show no remorse.. I'm holding it over them forever lol. I don't allow drama in my life.. nobody should allow unhappiness in their lives and sharing blood or being in love with someone that shares blood with your unhappiness is no excuse. In my world anyway.

10. 4justice

4justiceNew Member

Threads:
    In a word, HELL NO. The in-laws and I don't get along at all. They seem to pick fights with me over the stupidest of things. Not to mention that they're never "wrong". Yet even when YOU are right, somehow they make it seem like you're wrong.

11. LindaKay

LindaKayActive Member

Threads:
    They're alright. I used to work for them, and that was hard. We get along a whole lot better nowadays.

12. amynichole318

amynichole318Active Member

Threads:
    I adore my mother in law. She it's completely non-judgmental, she is easy going. She doesn't care much about how clean a house is or how good you can cook, she loves being in the outdoors, only wears jeans and t-shirts, rides horses and helps out with the kids when ever I ask her. I think if I hand picked a mother in law, I would choose her all over again. She is like a mother to me, only we get along better .

13. tinyfang

tinyfangMember

Threads:
    I wasn't big with any of my the parents of my past girlfriends. The only one that got along with me is my wife's mother. There is mutual respect and understanding. It comes down to consideration, perception and maturity.