Do you get bored when listening to audio books?

Discussion in Books, eBooks & Audio Books started by calebmelvern • Aug 12, 2014.

1. calebmelvern

calebmelvernActive Member

Threads:
    I have yet to complete an audio book. I always seem to space out whenever I listen. I find it hard to imagine the setting, feel the characters and enjoy the flow of the story. Or maybe I have yet to listen to a really great audio book? Are you like me? To audio book fans, do you have any recommendations out there that you think others will enjoy?

2. mariee

marieeActive Member

Threads:
    I really hate audio books. I'm a fast reader and I get frustrated by the slow pace of an audio book.

3. mikelouis

mikelouisActive Member

Threads:
    It is not always fun to listen to audio books. It also depends on the person narrating the audio book or else you are likely to sleep when it gets boring. I have listened to quit a few but frankly I prefer to watch a movie rather than listening to the whole thing. Either way it is a personal preference, some people might like it.

4. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I listened to one audiobook. Actually it wasn't a book. It was one story from a book which had a number of stories. The narration was so bad that I couldn't complete even that one story. I don't suppose I'd listen to a 200 page audiobook from the beginning to the end. It always feels like something is lacking from an audibook.

I always prefer reading a book rather than listen to it being read to me.

5. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    It depends on the material. I don't know what specific characteristics exactly make me prefer audio books to actual books, but For some of them I do prefer the audio version, and if I pick the wrong one to listen to then I do drift off, but the same goes for when I'm reading as well sometimes and it then turns out that I would prefer that particular book as an audio book.

6. Colebra

ColebraActive Member

Threads:
    It really depends a lot on the person narrating...
    But it also depends on the content of the book. I wouldn't listen to an audio version of a fiction book... Not in a million years! That must be awful.
    There are other kinds of books though, for which an audio version is very pleasant.

I've listened to Joe Vitale narrate "Beyond Positive Thinking" like maybe 7 or 8 times...

7. calebmelvern

calebmelvernActive Member

Threads:
    Wow surprised to hear that most of the people who have posted so far agree with me. Colebra, thanks for mentioning Beyond Positive Thinking. I'll try to grab myself a copy and check this one out. If you've listened to it 7 or 8 times, then it must be really special. I haven't even re-read the same book that many times. Any other suggestion is much appreciated!

8. MindyT

MindyTActive Member

Threads:
    I have tried to listen to audio books many times. I get so bored and distracted. I can read alot faster and get done with the book before they are done reading it aloud. I have yet to finish a book on tape or an audio book.

9. AugustGreig

AugustGreigMember

Threads:
    I absolutely love listening to audio books narrated by certain authors. The Hellbound Heart by Clive Barker is a favorite, and anything read by William S. Burroughs is just amazing. Listening to his reading of Junky was probably better than reading the actual book. I also really enjoy listening to poets read their work, especially recordings of live readings. Bukowski is probably my favorite at this. There's just something about his drunken charm that gets me.

But I really can't stand listening to a work being read by anyone but the author. Like when they get celebrities to read books on tape...I just can't get into it. I find it very distracting, as I can only imagine the celebrity reading the novel at times, instead of visualizing the content. But audio books can be very convenient, especially if it is an educational text, such as for learning a new language or positive affirmations.

10. Colebra

ColebraActive Member

Threads:
    Part of the reason why I've listened to it so many times, it's because it's sort of a self-help book.
    You need that info to really sink into your brain, and I even like to fall assleep with that audio playing.
    The only issue I have with audiobooks, is that sometimes it's a pain in the butt to find the place where you left off.

I also like Eckhart Tolle's audiobooks. Try those and let me know ;)

11. CrystalMarie

CrystalMarieActive Member

Threads:
    I too have this problem when listen to audio books. I personally enjoy reading the book myself at my own pace. That way I am able to reread if I don't understand or if I really like a certain part of the book. Some books do sound really good as audio. This highly depends on who is making the audio book and what the book it about. I try to find a comfortable position and imagine what the reader is saying in my mind. That way I will not get bored.

12. johnnear

johnnearActive Member

Threads:
    Yes of course but it depends on the book and the narrator. Sometimes even if the book is the most exciting ever and the narrator is as exciting as a rock it just gets boring. But even though I'm all for an audio book I can't help but wander off and forget that I'm listening to a story. I would recommend an audio book called Invisible Monsters, it's a novel it was good and the narration is pretty spot on. Also, if you're into horror, the reading of The Exorcist is pretty great also.

13. deathbyprayer

deathbyprayerActive Member

Threads:
    Depends on the novel I'm listening to and the narrator. But most of the time, I think it's the narrator that gets me bored off my audiobooks. Some of my audiobooks are great in book form but is just a total disaster when it comes to audiobook form because of the narrator just flatly reading every passage on the novel.

14. jdwriter

jdwriterActive Member

Threads:
    Like any book, if I am trying to get something out of the book, I have no problem with attention. I will echo the sentiment above though, the narrator does matter quite a bit when you are listening to an audio book...for example, I listened to the entire Series of Unfortunate Events, which are already well written books, but Tim Curry made them even better - so much so, that when the author started to read them it was almost a let down.

Most of what I listen to is how to and self help, so my attention is riveted to the words, and I am usually doing something like writing or coding when I listen as well...those actions help quite a bit to keep interest.

15. Pat

PatWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I listen to audio books when I am doing my data entry work. I like to read but I really do not have time to sit and read a book so I listen while working. I read mystery stories written by people like David Balduci, the stories are good move quickly and keep me interested. One time I did get a book read by someone that I could not stand the sound of her voice so that went right back to the library.

16. Thejamal

ThejamalActive Member

Threads:
    I've never liked audio books at all. Especially during those times where you space out and have to reread a certain passage a few times, it gets really annoying to have to keep rewinding the book over and over again. Also, I just enjoy the process of reading too much to really want to listen to an audio book in the first place.

I do understand how they make sense for some people who have crazy long commutes every day and need to fill the time somehow. But they just aren't for me.

17. prettycolors

prettycolorsActive Member

Threads:
    I only get bored if the narrator is slow or has a voice/accent that I don't like. Thing is, I'm not that used to audiobooks, I prefer reading the printed kind. But from time to time when I travel, and I can't carry books, I'm forced to listen to audio. Not a bad experience if you find a narrator that knows his stuff.