Do you get your pets presents?

Discussion in Pets started by jleadbet • Nov 7, 2012.

1. jleadbet

jleadbetActive Member

Threads:
    We celebrated a child's birthday a few days ago, and I realized we hadn't done anything for our dog this year. He's 5, and we used to get him a special treat and a new toy. I'm going to pick him up something this weekend. Do you do anything special for your pet on their birthday?

2. Victor Leigh

Victor LeighActive Member

Threads:
    Yes, I do give my pets presents. However I do not give them anything special for their birthdays. That's mainly because most of my pets are strays. I give them presents when I get some extra money. I buy my pets a treat and I buy myself one at the same time so that we can enjoy the good times together.

3. nash22

nash22Active Member

Threads:
    Actually I have done this. Why not they deserve something too. I recently purchase my grandmother's cat a handmade sweater for the cold weather. I don't go to the extreme though.

4. Sandra Piddock

Sandra PiddockExpert

Threads:
    I don't have pets now, but I do buy my friend's two dogs a gift at Christmas. We always used to do that for our own pets, so it seems natural to do it for our friend's dogs. We buy a gift for her, and the dogs are part of the family, so they get something as well.I don't buy anything for their birthdays, though. It seems pointless, as they are not aware that it's their birthday. Okay, I know they don't know it's Christmas either, but everyone else has gifts, so I don't like to leave them out.

5. dissn_it

dissn_itActive Member

Threads:
    We always get them something for Christmas. Like Sandra said, we don't like to leave them out of it! We usually have treats for them in their little stockings and at least one present under the tree. I don't think that we have ever done anything for their birthdays but it doesn't surprise me that some folks do that. We humans certainly do like to endulge our pets with gifts!

6. Parker

ParkerWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Currently, I don't have any pets, but it never occurred to me that I should give them presents. Yes, I would occasionally buy them gifts, but I didn't consider them presents. I didn't give them anything special for their birthday or Christmas.

7. steph84

steph84Active Member

Threads:
    I always get my pets more gifts than I get myself. They get gifts every week and my family buys my cats presents all of the time. They have toys, treats, sweaters, pillows, beds and even their own laptop to watch music videos (I kid you not).

8. Victor Leigh

Victor LeighActive Member

Threads:
    Their own laptop? Wow, that's really rich. I mean, wouldn't the same purpose be served by getting them one of those all-in-one portable mp4 players?

9. Rob

RobMember

Threads:
    I would love to buy a birthday present to my cat, but I don't know his exact birth date, not even the year. :(
    Occasionally, my cat gets some treats like bacon sticks or a cat milk bottle...

10. Ich bin Gia

Ich bin GiaMember

Threads:
    Yes! I buy presents for both the cat and the dog lol. My cat loves those mice on a string and I play with her endlessly with it by dragging it back and forth on the rug while she chases it. She even chases it up and down the stairs on her own...gets a bit annoying at night though. The dog gets chew toys and a big bone with marrow in it. I also buy the dog a whole Safeway chicken on his birthday as a special treat.

11. sinayat3

sinayat3New Member

Threads:
    We have a rabbit right now and he's considered part of the family. If I forget, the kids remind me to get him something. For Halloween, they made me get him his own pumpkin and carve it for him lol. They also wanted me to dress him up and take him trick or treating with us, but that didn't happen. We get him gifts all the time anyways, so we will probably end up getting him something for Christmas as well as his 1st birthday that is coming up. Mostly it's for our benefit and the kids :)

12. saizo6

saizo6Active Member

Threads:
    I always get my two dogs presents for their birthdays as well as Christmas. Usually, it's a bone or something simple like that. For Christmas, I'd get them a toy and some special treats. Last year, it was one of those home made doggy biscuit kit. The dogs will either get a hamburger or some steak for these special days.

13. Jessi

Jessi<a href="http://www.quirkycookery.com">QuirkyCooke

Threads:
    Yep!

Christmas is the only holiday we do it for, though. We don't celebrate birthdays at all.

For Christmas, we get them their favorite special food or treat that they don't get the rest of the year. We usually get them a toy of some sort, too.

14. Pat

PatWell-Known Member

Threads:
    We don't have pets in the house at this time. When we did have pets we would buy them special toys or a treat now and then. The pets did seem to enjoy the new toy when they got one.

15. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    We do give our dog special treats and gifts, but not really for his birthday. More often it's just on special occasions when the whole family comes over and gathers then we make sure our dog is part of the celebration as well by giving him more special food and maybe a few new accessories. This Christmas he will surely be treated very well again.

16. sulliman

sullimanNew Member

Threads:
    I use any excuse to get my dog's presents. I typically buy them cow femurs or raw hides for their birthdays and Christmas. I know it's silly, but they are my kids. You shouldn't feel funny about getting your pets presents. They are family and give you love!

17. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    My present cat was given to me by my cousin, so I wouldn't really know his birthday, and I can't really "celebrate" it. I actually have never bought a present for any of my past and present cats, so maybe I should start adopting that habit.

18. addicted_buyer

addicted_buyerExpert

Threads:
    We usually get some treats for our dog's birthday. She eats anything, so we know she'll love whatever we get her! :p I'd love to get her something to wear, or a cushion where she can sleep, but she destroys every single thing we get her. That's why we stick to food only.

19. vpresson

vpressonWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I don't have any pets right now but when i did i never gave them gifts for birthdays or holidays. Because most of the time we didn't know their birthday. And because i got my pets toys and treats all the time.

20. deansaliba

deansalibaActive Member

Threads:
    Yes I do! I get my dog a birthday present, an Easter present and at Christmas not only do I buy her a present but I buy her a Christmas stocking full of doggy treats. :) In fact this Christmas Day my dog will be tucking into turkey with the rest of us. :)