Do You Give Clothing as Gifts?

Discussion in Fashion & Apparel started by nwitt • Apr 28, 2014.

1. nwitt

nwittActive Member

Threads:
    I'm curious how many people give clothes as gifts. I'm always afraid that I will either by the wrong size or that I will pick out something that isn't the right style. When I want to gift a clothing item, I tend to give gift cards instead. How about you?

2. Athenagdlyt

AthenagdlytActive Member

Threads:
    Yes I do give clothes as gifts especially for babies and children. Parents appreciate the future savings on clothes by receiving these clothing gifts. For adults, I play it safe by just giving clothes to people I really know personally. It really is a dilemma not knowing fully well the exact body size of the recipient. For women, scarves are good gifts since we can't have too many of them. Otherwise, I just give gift certificates or shopping coupons as gifts so they can choose their own type, style, and size of garment.

3. mikelouis

mikelouisActive Member

Threads:
    Like you said, sometimes you might find that it does not fit or maybe they do not like the color. So normally I buy also gift cards or appliances that no one cannot fail to like. With clothes may be you saw a person a couple of years ago and you are not sure how they look now so you might end up buying something that they do not want.

4. nwitt

nwittActive Member

Threads:
    That is a good point, I have given clothing to babies and young children. It's usually easier to guess their size, and when they're a baby, they don't really have a preference with style :) Good point also about the accessories gift ideas for women.

5. deansaliba

deansalibaActive Member

Threads:
    I have done in the past, but I have a habit of getting the size wrong! My friend recently greeted me with a t-shirt of my favourite band, I was ecstatic until I noticed it was a medium, I'm a XXL kind of guy!

I also have a tendency to but people clothes that I like, rather than what they would like. So now I purchase gift cards for them to buy whatever clothes they desire. :)

6. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I've received clothing as gifts before so sometimes I buy someone something they'll like.

I remember buying my niece a pretty dress at one time and she so loved it I made it a habit to buy the ladies I know [those who deserve it] something I know they'll like. I'm not into fashion but I'm an aesthete [I'd blush if I was modest but I'm not] so if I choose a dress I think looks good then it certainly will look good on the one who wears it.

p.s Ive gone wrong on sizes once or twice but the receivers of the gifts were not the timid types. They went straight to the store and demanded for their money back if they weren't permitted to make an exchange for dresses of equivalent value.

7. Jessi

Jessi<a href="http://www.quirkycookery.com">QuirkyCooke

Threads:
    I only do it if I'm 95% sure that it'll fit or be liked. I also don't usually gift the item alone. So for example, if I have any hesitancy about an item, I will include it in the box/bag and add on an offering to the person of "I wasn't sure if this was going to fit right or if you'd like it, etc, so please don't hesitate to exchange it!"

I do regularly gift them to kids or people I know really, really well if I think an item will work well for them.

8. ACSAPA

ACSAPAWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I don't give clothing as gifts unless it's fan merchandise like hoodies or t-shirts of a TV show that the recipient is a fan of. Like if someone is a fan of The Walking Dead, I'll buy them a Daryl Dixon t-shirt or a hoodie with the show logo. You can pretty much guess what size t-shirt someone wears by looking at them. But I don't buy actual clothes as gifts because there's no guarantee that they will fit or be to the person's liking.

9. Sweetkymom

SweetkymomActive Member

Threads:
    I give clothing to children as gifts not adults. I only do this when I know what that child is into, size and favorite colors just so I have a feel in what they like. I know my nieces and nephews well so buying them
    Clothes for school is easy. I actually like shopping.

10. BlacKnight1090

BlacKnight1090Member

Threads:
    I only buy clothes for people I know well (because I know their size and likes). I have a friend that's in love with jerseys and hoodies so it's extremely easy to buy. Lol. To be honest, if it's not my immediate family or best friend, I don't buy for anyone. It's nothing personal, but I'm not a big spender and they're the ones I have to see all the time. =p So I don't understand what some people are going through when it comes to picking out new gear for someone. If I do give to others, I feel the gift cards or cash would make them happier. I always accepted clothes from people growing up, but I don't want people going through what I did. I'm always getting shirts and they're not always what you'd want to wear in public. x_x

I know I'm not the only one who thought "just give me the money." Of course I was always thankful. I'd feel bad getting clothes for someone and not absolutely sure that it's the right one.

11. wander_n_wonder

wander_n_wonderActive Member

Threads:
    I prefer not to give clothes as gift, unless it's a very generic kind of clothing such as plain T-shirt. I find it really hard to estimate the size and the design that the person I'm giving the gift to will like. Instead of buying clothes, I will prefer to just give a gift card. I think that's much safer because the person gets to choose himself.

12. isabbbela

isabbbelaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I very rarely buy clothes to give as presents. I find it hard to pick something for someone that is the right size and style that they like.It's easy to either get the wrong size and offend the person or get the wrong style and have them not like it. So I prefer to go with safer option as gifts, unless it's someone I really know very well and they specifically asked for clothing as a gift.

13. whnuien

whnuienActive Member

Threads:
    I like giving clothing as a gift to my parents, sibling, and also friend's babies but if I ever wanted to give one to a friend then I also prefer to give them a gift card so they choose on their own. Sometimes I will just take them out and we choose together so I don't have to worry about the size, colour, the design, and whether they like it or not.

14. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I was given clothes as gifts, but I think so far, I have also never given clothes as gifts yet. I'm open to it though, because if I don't like someting, then I think that it's ok to give them as gifts so that others can use them instead of the item just collecting dust in your closet.

15. ebby23

ebby23Member

Threads:
    I prefer not to give clothing as gift! Everyone has their personal taste when it comes to style and I find it hard to shop for clothing for another individual. If clothing was a specific item on someone's birthday list, I would rather but them a gift card to a clothing store so they can do their own shopping. Therefore, I won't have to worry about picking up the right size or if they would like the style/color of the garment.

16. lizzief79

lizzief79Active Member

Threads:
    I do give gifts of clothes to my children, nephews, nieces and my partner. I am reluctant to give them to other people. This is because, like you, I worry that they will not fit or suit their personal tastes. If a person wants clothes I would rather give them a voucher to the store of their choice so that they can chose their own.

17. jewel777

jewel777Active Member

Threads:
    You're not really doing the person a favor by giving them something that they don't like. I've had people give me things I don't like and they just end up sitting in my closet, because I feel too guilty to return them or give them away. Giving someone a gift card is so much better for both parties involved. You don't have to guess about what the other person would like, or what size they are, lol. (for someone to give you a medium when you're an XXL is pretty sad). Plus it's fun for the receiver to go shopping with the card. They can find something that they really love and appreciate your thoughtfulness.

18. Kitty Reeves

Kitty ReevesActive Member

Threads:
    I never give clothes as a gift, because aside of the obvious problem of not knowing what the persons size is, I also have no idea what the person would wear! I personally hate getting clothes as a gift myself, because no one gets what I like to wear correctly or they give me something that's way too small. :/

19. caseyfacey

caseyfaceyActive Member

Threads:
    I sometimes do, if it's for someone very close to me and I know the person's size and style very well. For the most part, however, I dont like to give clothing as a gift. And I especially do not like receiving it. I'd much prefer a gift card.

20. malia

maliaMember

Threads:
    Thats a great question. I hardly ever give gifts in general lol because my friends and family are so picky. So i never give clothes my style is so different from everyone I know I wouldn't want to get the wrong thing or like you said the wrong size. I just buy a gift card instead.