Do You Give Food As A Gift During Christmas And Special Occasions?

Discussion in Gifts & Flowers started by sidney • Dec 23, 2013.

1. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Because Christmas is only a few hours away, I would like to know if you give food as gifts. My mom used to give brownies or baked macaroni to all of her friends as a Christmas gift, and in turn we would receive some food as Christmas gifts also like ham, liquor, cookies, etc. I think that during the Christmas season it's ok to give foods as gifts, but during birthdays or anniversaries, then it would be more suitable if you gave that person a more personalized gift. So how about you? Do you tend to give food as a gift during Christmas and on other special occasions? And do you mind if you were only given food as a gift? Since I know some people may feel offended that the person did not take the time to pick out a more personalized gift.

2. JosieP

JosiePWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Well that wouldn't be nice to get offended by something someone gives you.. obviously it's coming from a good place, so why be upset? I have given food before. I enjoy baking/cooking for people and everyone knows that, so I'm sure nobody would feel offended that I did that.. it's who I am. There are so many creative ways to give food as well.. gifts in a jar, wine and cheese etc. I love giving food.. especially when it's someone hard to buy for. I don't like giving gifts for the heck of it.. I have to know you really want it, or need it or I'll put my heart into it and make you something.

3. thriftyme

thriftymeMember

Threads:
    I once gave my co-workers cookies for Christmas and everyone liked them and many people asked for the recipe later. I baked several batches and packaged them up in treat bags with a gift tag naming the co-worker. I put generic "Merry Christmas" greetings on some of them for random people who showed up to our office's Christmas party. For the people who were not able to eat sugary treats (we pretty much knew each other's eating habits, lol!) I made up treat baggies of sugar-free candies from the market. It was fun and worked out great!

4. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Well you'll never know, there might be some people who think like that, after all there are many people in the world who can be ungrateful. For them it's the gift and not the thought that counts. But I'm glad to know that you haven't encountered a person like that so far.

5. JosieP

JosiePWell-Known Member

Threads:
    No, I probably have and they're pretty easy to spot, which is probably why they aren't on my gift list lol. If someone were to judge me for giving such a gift or judging the gift itself as something not worthy of giving for whatever reason, I would have no problem taking the gift back and never doing anything for them again. I don't tend to keep shallow people in my life, so I don't have this worry. The people I know, would appreciate the effort and the thought.. and since I'm a great cook, they'd MORE than appreciate the gift itself lol

6. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Well you being a great cook goes without saying, because if you're not, then you probably wouldn't even dare cook for other people right? Do they also ask you for your recipes? If yes, do you give it to them or it's top secret?

7. Peninha

PeninhaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    In Christmas and in birthdays I think it's OK offering food, depending on what food it is. If it's a special package of cookies or some gourmet food it's fine. Just this Christmas I gave my dad some gourmet canned sardines in a special wrap, he was really happy about it.