Do you give tips to parking lot security guards?

Discussion in Misc & Others started by lindbergh • Nov 29, 2014.

1. lindbergh

lindberghWell-Known Member

Threads:
    When you park your car at malls and hotels and other establishments, commonly, there's a security guard who would assist you. No problem with that right? Yep. However, I've seen some people give tips to these security guards who assist them in parking and backing up. I'd like to ask if you also give tips to them. If you do, I'd like to know how much you give them. And do you always give tips? Or is it okay if I don't give anything at all?

2. primalclaws1974

primalclaws1974Member

Threads:
    I don't tip people that barely do anything in their job. That includes parking lot attendants, bellhops, and security detail. Jobs that we all know are dependent on tips, yes I do. This includes housekeepers and waiter/waitresses.

3. toradrake

toradrakeActive Member

Threads:
    I don't. They get paid very well to be there. I will tip those whose main income is from tips like primalclaws1974 but not those who get above minimum wage. I don't think that they are even suppose to accept tips anyway.

4. xTinx

xTinxWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I think that it's pretty redundant to give security guards a tip when you pay a parking fee on an hourly basis. This basically defeats the purpose of paying parking fees, in my opinion. Also, it's not like the security guards are actually looking after your car in the parking lot. There are several cars parked in there and the whole area is already secure. There are security cameras everywhere too. So no tip for now, unless we park on someone else's private parking space.

5. LitoLawless

LitoLawlessActive Member

Threads:
    I don't think it's necessary to give a security guard a tip. They usually just sit there anyway, so what exactly am I tipping them for? I would much rather save that money for the valet or for the coat check person.

6. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I do but not that much. I'd give maybe about 50c and that's about it, and I don't do it every time since I don't feel obliged to. I'd love to have more money to give a tip to anyone who assists me in this stressful time of the year but unfortunately I don't make that much myself so I try and save where I can. If I someday am able to earn more then I'd love to tip more.

7. valiantx

valiantxActive Member

Threads:
    Absolutely no! Security guards don't do nothing much and simply deter wrongdoers from taking or harming property of a man or woman. Also, tipping imply you were grateful for a person's service or product, meaning it's tipping above the selling price - I personally only tip if it was beyond the call of duty service or product.

8. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Never. It's not that I don't appreciate the work they do. I do. But they get paid some good cash for it so I'd rather keep my money in my wallet. There are exceptions though . . .

I remember though at one time, I asked one of those security guards for directions [I was a stranger in a new town] and I gave him a tip as a token of appreciation.

9. missbee23

missbee23Member

Threads:
    I don't normally tip, but if it is a person that I see regularly, or someone who consistently does good work, I might get them a Christmas gift. I have purchased a gift for my mail man because he is the only one who would put up with my abused rescue dog who would bark but never bite. He was patient and just took the time to talk to her until she calmed down. Others would just keep walking. And garbage men. Those guys are some of the hardest working people I know, and if anyone deserves a tip, it's those guys!