Do You Go Thrift Shopping With A Plan, Or Wing It?

Discussion in Shopping Discussion started by ACSAPA • Apr 18, 2015.

1. ACSAPA

ACSAPAWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Tonight, I was reading all the crock pot recipes online and decided to finally get a crock pot.
    I went to the Goodwill 5 blocks from where I'm staying and made a beeline for the crock pots.
    I quickly picked one out, tested it, paid $9 and was out of the store within 10 minutes.
    If I had gone there without a specific mission, I could have easily filled my cart with junk and spent the entire $60 I had in my wallet at the time.
    Do you know what you're looking for when you go thrift shopping ,or do you just buy things on impulse?

2. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    If I need something specifically I'd go in with a plan and try to get out before I spend any more but on days where I feel like just browsing and buying whatever I find I don't go in with a plan because I think there's a lot of fun to be had in discovering new items at a thrift store and getting a lot of those unique finds for a low price.

3. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I usually have a plan and if I can't find it then I will browse and rarely buy anything unless it's a bargain book. There is the odd occasion where I have found something that I have always wanted like an old battered leather tan case and I bought it and lugged it around with me all day.

4. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I pass by a couple of thrift stores, but I haven't really checked them out yet since I'm inside a vehicle. So far, I have only tried to buy thrift items from Ebay and other sites, so I just browse and buy what I want when I see one. If I buy in person, I think I will go in and only buy what I can afford.

5. dyanmarie25

dyanmarie25Active Member

Threads:
    Actually, every time I do some shopping, I always plan it ahead of time since I don't want to spend too much money on things that won't be that useful to me. I always stick to my shopping list. :)

6. LeopardJones

LeopardJonesActive Member

Threads:
    I might be a bit weird; I’m less likely to buy anything at all if I have no plan, no matter what kind of store we’re talking about. I seem to need at least some sort of guideline on what I’m looking for. I guess I’m the opposite of an impulse shopper. I’m actually thinking of checking out thrift shops for some items I need soon, so I’m definitely going in with a list.

7. GemmaRowlands

GemmaRowlandsActive Member

Threads:
    I have to go with a plan, or I find that I buy far too many things that I just don't need. I have a feeling that a lot of people will be like me in that respect, and probably waste a great deal of money, which of course defeats the object of trying to be thrifty in the first place. I always make sure that I know what I am going for, and the budget that I have set for myself, and I will work that way. Going in with no plan of action has never been something that has ended particularly well for me, really!

8. Diane Lane

Diane LaneWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I go with a specific amount of money available and a list. If I find items that I need more than other things on the list, then I will buy those instead, but the amount of money doesn't change. I keep a certain amount in PayPal, and that is what I use to pay for the items, via my PayPal Debit card.

9. Penny

PennyActive Member

Threads:
    I think that the trick with thrift store shopping is patience. I keep a list of things I need on my phone and check it before each visit. I decide my maximum price ahead of time and never go over it.

There is a large Goodwill near me and I got all of my furniture basics (bed, sofa, dining table, three chairs and coffee table) for less than $100 total by following this approach. Partly by waiting for the Sunday/Monday half price deal for old stock. I am very handy at fixing things so for furniture with faults I waited for the sale knowing it was unlikely anyone would buy it before then.

And I actually paid less for that overall as I scan for under-priced designer goods and resell them on Etsy. If you count that I got my furniture almost for free!

10. Yosh

YoshActive Member

Threads:
    I like going in with a general idea of what I'm looking for. Sometimes I might pick up one or two things extra, but I'd never spend more than 3-5 euro extra. Bit of an impulse, but it's under some control at least!