Do you grow your own kitchen herbs?

Discussion in Home & Garden started by Denis Hard • Jun 12, 2014.

1. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I think herbs like parsley can grow in virtually any climate.

Around where I live buying [fresh] parsley and other kitchen herbs daily can be quite expensive. That's why I plant my own parsley in one part of my garden.

Most hobbyist gardeners find it hard to choose what they should grow. Come to think of it, since kitchen herbs can be sort of pricey depending on the season, it's far much better to have some of your own in case you need to supplement what you buy.

Do any of you grow such herbs?

2. Parker

ParkerWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Ni, I don't grow my own herbs...yet. I have been reading articles on Lifehacker about how easy it is to grow certain vegetables and herbs. I live in an apartment and just assumed that I would be able to grow anything. I know realize that I can grow some stuff. The local Farmer's Market has some starter plants. They will do well on my balcony.

3. Hedonologist

HedonologistActive Member

Threads:
    No I've always assumed it was quite expensive and a hassle. I do use quite a lot of parsley though so it might be worth looking into I suppose. The thing with herbs though is quality is absolutely essential. A garden carrot that is a bit misshaped is fine, or a potato that is a bit different, but with herbs the fine flavour is essential. Does anyone have any comments on that?

4. Ruth B.

Ruth B.Active Member

Threads:
    I do indeed. Right now I have growing four different kinds of basil, mexican tarragon mint, chocolate mint, spearmint and peppermint. Lemonbalm, lemongrass, greek oregano, and cuban oregano. I also have parsley, chives, both garlic and onion, the sweetener stevia, that plant that looks similar to parsley but tastes like celery that I can't remember the name of but is delicious, rosemary, and lemon thyme. fennel and salad burnet.

And no, it's not expensive or trouble. :) Once you taste something made with something you can't get at stores, or restaurants, that's priceless.

5. DDavies

DDaviesActive Member

Threads:
    I grow my own herbs. They're like any other plant; pay attention to sunlight and water needs, make sure the soil pH level is appropriate and don't plant them near plants that have a negative affect on them (companion planting). As for making sure you get the optimal flavor from them, make sure to pick them in the early morning after the dew has dried. This is the time when the leaves ar plump with the essential oils the herb produces.

6. eppie

eppieActive Member

Threads:
    I wish I can grow my kitchen herbs, tried planting some seeds before but I don't know why it didn't work out. I'm better off buying these herbs on pots and just take care of them until they grow. In fact I've already bought a couple - a basil and a pandan plant.

Though I was able to grow (accidentally) a chili pepper in our backyard and it's really convenient to just pick the fruit whenever we need to spice things up in the kitchen. :D

7. H.C. Heartland

H.C. HeartlandActive Member

Threads:
    Yes, we grow our own herbs and love it! It is easy to do and relaxing. If you buy a small plant and let it seed then you can replant the seeds. If you want to experiment, put a garlic clove in a pot filled with soil and in a couple weeks it will begin to grow. You can do the same with parsley and other herbs. Salad will never taste the same again!

8. Jessi

Jessi<a href="http://www.quirkycookery.com">QuirkyCooke

Threads:
    I don't any more, but I have in the past and hope to again in the future!

Some are super easy to grow, such as chives, so it's a nice way to always have fresh herbs on hand.

9. Grapejars

GrapejarsNew Member

Threads:
    We grow basil and cilantro. We used to grow chives, mint and dill as well, but found that we really only consistently used the cilantro and basil. The others went to seed, and we needed the space. We haven't found it difficult, and it is very inexpensive to grow. We have done pots in the past, but this year, we threw the cilantro seeds in the garden, and wow, is it ever growing! Already ready to eat and it is yummy! The flavors of the whole spice is amazing.

10. Allison2021

Allison2021Active Member

Threads:
    What about Rosemary and Thyme? Many people grow herbs inside the house. I grow outside during the summer. I grow chives, and dill.
    People in my neighborhood grow a lemon parsley.

11. whnuien

whnuienActive Member

Threads:
    We do grow our own kitchen herbs and sell some at the market if we have a lot. Most people prefer to buy it from people who grow it themselves here because the cost is usually cheaper than buying it from the supermarket.

12. prettycolors

prettycolorsActive Member

Threads:
    We only grow parsley, basil and mint - lots of mint :D

It's not about the money we save, the herbs I mentioned above are cheap anyway, but about the freshness. Having herbs at hand without going to the supermarket is awesome! And I quite like the process of growing and grooming the plants.

13. Livvy

LivvyActive Member

Threads:
    Not at the moment, I must admit since there isn't really room in our place right now for even a little pot full of herbs.
    I've recently came across a great way to grow them inside, so I'm seriously considering investing in one or two of these indoor garden things for my new place.

14. Athenagdlyt

AthenagdlytActive Member

Threads:
    Yes, I grow some herbs. I only have chives, onions, and chili peppers. Most herbs I grow have a short life span. Maybe I don't really have a green thumb; but it is so satisfying to cook with fresh herbs that's why I still keep growing them. The potted herbs are placed just outside my kitchen window. Sometimes the birds take some of my chili peppers, too. :)

15. forextraspecialstuff

forextraspecialstuffActive Member

Threads:
    I live in an apartment that is almost all windows and have a balcony so I actually have a little garden growing. I think I have had most success growing herbs, especially chives, parsley, basil, mint and rosemary. This year I planted cilantro and lavender but the results aren't out yet on those. I like growing my own herbs because I always have them handy and it is much less expensive than buying them from the local farmers markets.

16. Verity Darkwaters

Verity DarkwatersActive Member

Threads:
    I use to grow my own herbs, fruits, and veggies. Though, now I live in a one bedroom apartment on the third floor, so I don't have the space inside for window plants. Though, I have been doing some research and I found that people actually grow gardens on their balconies. It is too late in the planting season I believe, plus I have the lack of funds, but next year I am having a patio garden. They have so many cute and easy ways to go about it too! The one I am looking at for growing herbs is this one:

17. Pat

PatWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I do not yet grow my own herbs, I do plan to have an indoor herb garden this fall, just a few herbs will be nice. I just moved so I was able to have a garden this year. My new house has mint in the yard which is nice.

18. ACSAPA

ACSAPAWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Both of these are odd comments that don't make much sense if you know anything about herbs. Starter herb plants are ridiculously cheap and plentiful. Even my local supermarket sells them for $2.50.
    Growing herbs at home doesn't affect the quality in the least. They're just plants. They taste the same whether you grow them in a pot or buy them at the store.
    I have several herb plants myself that were cheap to buy and are easy to maintain. I'm not sure where you got the idea that herb plants are expensive or mysteriously lose their flavor if you grow them at home.
    It's just as easy to take the $3 that you were going to spend on a bottle of dried parsley and spend that $3 on a parsley plant.

19. sthrngypsy

sthrngypsyActive Member

Threads:
    I have not grown any yet but plan to starting next year. I moved into a place that has an acre and a quarter so I have plenty of space. On my list: mint, chives, oregano, basil, rosemary - I love the way rosemary looks in addition to loving the way it tastes, sage, parsley, cilantro....probably some other things as well that I can't remember.

I'm so excited for spring!

20. lizzief79

lizzief79Active Member

Threads:
    About every two years, I decide I will grow herbs in the kitchen instead of using dried herbs. I am an enthusiastic cook and regularly use herbs in meals, so it makes sense. However, they always seem to die in days. I am probably the only person who could kill a cactus!