Do You Have A Budget For Beauty Products?

Discussion in Health & Beauty started by cocolgooh • Feb 16, 2016.

1. cocolgooh

cocolgoohActive Member

Threads:
    I personally won't spend more than £5 a month on beauty products. Most of the products I do buy I see more as essential than extra luxury products though. The main things I tend to buy are just basic toiletries to be honest. Shampoo, conditioner or soap tend to make up the majority of my purchases.

I have vitiligo on my face, hands and arms. I'm not so bothered by it on my hands and arms but I like to keep it covered more on my face if possible, so I buy some concealer to make it less obvious. I also buy moisturizers regularly as I tend to have dry skin. I don't need either of these every month though. Usually only every 2-3 months, unless there's a deal where I can save money buying them before I planned to.

Aside from those things that I buy regularly, I don't really tend to buy much else. I will occasionally get a pot of nail polish or mascara but those are probably once a year things.

Therefore I tend to find I can get by easily enough on around £5 a month as my budget.

Do you set yourself budget for beauty products?

2. Ke Gordon

Ke GordonWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I don't really have a budget for anything. I just buy things as I can afford them. If I have a few extra dollars, I might buy some make up, but generally my beauty budget is limited to the essential shampoos, conditoners etc. These are some of the things that I need to buy, not want to buy...

3. Diane Lane

Diane LaneWell-Known Member

Threads:
    The type of products you've mentioned @cocolgooh@cocolgooh fall within my household necessities budget, which is in with my food/grocery budget. I used to spend extra money on higher end beauty products, but that portion of my budget is gone, so I pretty much stick to the basics these days. I do occasionally do a product trial, so get to try out something more high end, which I enjoy, but those items aren't currently in my budget. I like the idea of using household products such as olive oil, sugar, salt, etc. for multiple purposes, rather than spending extra money that would take away from other necessities. By the way, what is vitiligo? I have eczema, my sister has rosacea, and my brother has psoriasis, so skin conditions obviously run in our family, but I'm not familiar with that one.

4. cocolgooh

cocolgoohActive Member

Threads:
    I like the idea of using household products as well, @Diane Lane@Diane Lane. I think being able to use things for multiple purposes rather than for only one thing as it can save quite a bit of money that way, only buying one product instead of more than one that can do the exact same thing.

I also like it when I can get a product trial as well, or a free sample of something for that matter. It's always nice to get to try something you normally don't get to! They're even better if they come with coupons for money off the product again because then if I like it I can purchase it again at a lower cost.

It's interesting that several people in your family all suffer with different skin conditions. It must make it hard to find something that would work for all of you? Do you find it more difficult to buy products for those conditions, or do certain products not really effect you and your brother and sister? My mother has eczema and has to be really careful what products she uses or it can flare up.

Vitiligo is a condition that causes the loss of skin color in blotches. It basically means my skin is really pale in patches on my skin, while the rest of it is more even in colour. It can really stand out, which is why I use concealer to cover it up on my face.

5. Diane Lane

Diane LaneWell-Known Member

Threads:
    @cocolgooh@cocolgooh Thanks, I'll have to look into that, because I have spots like that, especially on one arm, but assumed they were from past burns. Since I do have the eczema and my siblings have the other conditions, it's possible I have that as well. I have a cousin who has seborrhea (scalp issues), so it must be something in our genes. Is that the same condition Michael Jackson had? Maybe that's why it sounded familiar.

I've found that shea butter helps with my condition, but sometimes I have to use cortizone cream. I had an allergic reaction to something from the garden today, and had to use Benadryl on it. I know it was from the garden, because something (a weed) wrapped around my ankle while I was out there yesterday. I guess the allergy medicine I'd taken prevented it from flaring up right away, but I awoke in the middle of the night with the reaction, apparently when the meds wore off.

6. Krissttina Isobe

Krissttina IsobeWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I really don't have a budget for my beauty products, so I buy what I need when I need them. If I see a sale on what I need I'll get a few bottles per se of moisturizing lotions mostly or shampoos. Since we have a Walmart and CVS or Walgreens that has weekly sales it's so helpful to stock up and not worry too much about it. I buy those .79 aloe vera lipsticks so that's another money saver. I have an irritating eye problem trichiasis or eye lash curing into your eyes that I experimented with clear eye mascara that I bought and it's working, so these sort of beauty items I need I just buy when I need them. I don't wear make up only lipstick and now the clear mascara too. Living in the tropics, Hawaii, I perspire a lot so I don't wear make up.

7. Parker

ParkerWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I don't have a budget for beauty products. I buy what I need. I really don't buy a lot of makeup. I just don't wear very much. Lipstick, mascara and eyeliner. That's it. I believe not wearing much makeup has really helped my skin.

Sometimes I will splurge on a product like Neutrogena Body Oil. I consider that to be a luxury product and will only buy it if I have extra funds.

8. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I have a budget for toiletries, but since I don't wear make-up since I just work at home, I don't allot money for that. But once I get a real job I will now have to allot money for beauty products.

9. venusflytrap

venusflytrapMember

Threads:
    I like to spend a bit on my favorite natural beauty products. I usually buy products within a range of $10 - $40. That includes organic soaps, natural tooth pastes, chemical free creams and non-toxic nail polish. As I am not big on makeup, I only ever buy some natural eyeliner pencils and mascara. I couldn't imagine ever spending more than $40 on a top face cream. By "top" I mean a cream that is free of additives and other nasty chemical ingredients.

10. Corzhens

CorzhensWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I was wearing makeup in my younger years and when I stopped, I continued allocating a budget for beauty products but not for buying anymore. It was my way of saving something extra which money I use for spending on unexpected expenses like a surprise treat for my parents. Until now, I set aside money for the makeup that's why my husband is curious why.

11. rz3300

rz3300Active Member

Threads:
    I think that I have just gotten to the point where I have such a routine that it has just become my de facto budget, and I think that it works out for me that way. I have bought the same products in the same quantities for a number of years now, and I am not seeing that change anytime soon. Every once in a while the price will fluctuate though, and that sure does throw me off a bit.

12. DreekLass

DreekLassWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I have somewhat of a budget too. It is not really an official budget, but more of a budget according to how my finances are at any given moment. But with beauty products, I am not too much of a girly girl. I mean, I love to look pretty. But I don't wear make up very often. So the few make up products that I do own last a really really long time before I have to buy more. I won't spend ten pounds or over any any one given make up product though.

13. Cilivren

CilivrenMember

Threads:
    No, I don't have a budget on beuaty products. I buy these products when the need arises so the amount I spend in beauty stores varies. However, beauty prodcuts never put strain on my budget. I only wear make up on special occasions. I do use face scrubs, lotions and creams but I only need to buy them once or twice a year. I don't spend a lot on shampoos and shower gels either - I try not to buy the most expensive ones.

14. Pat

PatWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I do not have a budget for beauty produdcts, I only purchase the basics which do not need a large financial investmen. My daughter is an instructor at one of the hair schools and she has all kinds of stuff for hair, skin and make up.

15. steph84

steph84Active Member

Threads:
    I never wear foundation, but I do buy matting powder because my face tends to get really greasy. I buy e.l.f. matting powder for $2 so I am not breaking the bank with my cosmetics. I only put it on maybe once a week too. I like my face to breathe.

16. isabbbela

isabbbelaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Makeup is The one item I don't have a low budget for! I try to save big on clothing, shoes, purses, bags, whatever. But I do tend to spend a little more than I should all make up. I just like high quality make up that I know will not do anything that's my skin. I specially spend a lot on concealer, foundation and Face powder. For mascara and eyeliner I can go with drugstore, but for pretty much everything else I do prefer to buy department store stuff.