Do you have a choice?

Discussion in Gas & Electricity started by JJohnston • Sep 11, 2012.

1. JJohnston

JJohnstonNew Member

Threads:
    I'm just curious, where you live do you have a choice in electric companies? Where I live there is only one that we can go with, it's either them or no power. How is this fair? Isn't that a monopoly and aren't monopolies illegal? I just don't understand. So I'm wondering if this is everywhere or just local to me.

2. Jennifer

JenniferActive Member

Threads:
    Where I live, in South Africa, we only have one company that supplies our electricity as well. What is terribly frustrating is that they can increase the electricity tariffs (which they have proceeded to do in the last few years) as they please and we just have to pay up. Despite putting timers on geysers, converting our electrical stoves to gas stoves, our electricity bill remains high. Its rather an unfair system.

3. scottyxx

scottyxxExpert

Threads:
    In Canada we do not have a choice, the city controls the supply of Hydro and Gas, so whatever city you are in, thats who you pay. In my Case, Guelph Hydro and Union Gas are my only options.

4. gina121

gina121Active Member

Threads:
    In the UK, we do have a choice, and even have a gas and electricity watchdog, whom we can turn to if we want more information on getting a better deal for our individual needs or if we have issues with our supplier.

5. dissn_it

dissn_itActive Member

Threads:
    I am in the Pacific Northwest of the US and we also do not have a choice. There are two companies that provide electricity to homes in our area but it depends on the location of your home as to which company you will get your power from. One is a much larger company and seems to be much higher in cost. Of course, that is the one that we have to get our power from.

6. rollybooz

rollyboozActive Member

Threads:
    I guess in many countries across the globe, most households would not have the choice or at the most only up to a maximum of 3 different suppliers to choose from. This is simply because electricity grids and the delivery network requires a huge start-up capital to be constructed and subsequently maintained regularly. As such, not many companies can afford this huge sum of money and most utility companies are usually state-owned or partially state-owned. This simply leaves us consumers with limited option and hence we have to give in to increasing tariffs and the only way to go about saving is to cut down usage on our end...

7. sergiu23

sergiu23Active Member

Threads:
    In a poor country like mine we don't have any choice, only the ex-national companies which were bought for sums like 1$ by world giants like Eon. Or you can try to live with candles :)

8. jleadbet

jleadbetActive Member

Threads:
    I don't quite understand it, but we have a choice although you have to choose a supplier and lock in the rate with them for at least 2 years. Our state just went from regulated to non regulated.

9. sdjaxson

sdjaxsonActive Member

Threads:
    Where I live we do not have a choice. I wish we did. I have often wondered the same thought you have.

10. hunysukle

hunysukleActive Member

Threads:
    We do not have a choice either. It's kind of weird not being about to choose. In fact, I hate that I can't choose.

11. nash22

nash22Active Member

Threads:
    That's how mine is I stay in a little city in Georgia and the only power company is Georgia Power.

12. Mikered25

Mikered25Member

Threads:
    Well in my state it all depends on where you live and the income that you produce. Some gas companies here in my area will work with you if you are having financial troubles so that you don't go into debt with your gas or electric companies. But I know in most counties, you will encounter some companies will not give a choice and you have to go with their services because that is the area of which they cover and no other company has that territory.

13. thenextGeek

thenextGeekActive Member

Threads:
    I live in the Philippines and there is only one electric company that provides most our electricity in the whole Luzon area. It becomes headaches for us sometimes because they can increase their prices anytime they want to without any fear of competition. I have a plan though, when I successfully become an engineer I'll make my own power generator. :D

14. Parker

ParkerWell-Known Member

Threads:
    In Southern California, we don't have a choice either. It depends on where you live. Yes, it's definitely a monopoly. It's the same with water and cable.

15. Kaybee517

Kaybee517Active Member

Threads:
    Where I live it's the same way. However another friend of mine told me about a new energy conscious company offering services however I don't think they support my area so I'm stuck with my current provider. Luckily though they are the only company in my area the prices are cheaper than my last residence in the neighboring town.

16. tommymac

tommymacActive Member

Threads:
    We've got no choice where I'm at. I suspect that the barriers to entry into the energy market are so high that competition just isn't plausible everywhere.

17. Esperahol

EsperaholActive Member

Threads:
    Nope, and that is probably just as well. Since they're like Highlander people stay on top of them more then they might if they had the illusion of choice. One company and lots of complainers looking to their various governments.