Do You Have A Favorite Author?

Discussion in Books, eBooks & Audio Books started by sidney • Mar 29, 2015.

1. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Since most of you who linger in this section are obviously fond of reading, I'm pretty sure most of you have a favorite author. As for me, I haven't read enough books to say that I have a favorite author, but I do like the books of Linda Goodman. How about you? Which author is your favorite and what genre does your favorite author specialize in?

2. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I don't have any one favorite author. Most of the books I read were written before 1950 and the writers, most of them, have passed on. So even if the writer might be a favorite for a little while, once I'm done reading his/her books then that writer no longer will be "my favorite. I'd move on, read another writer's books and whilst reading I'd think s/he is my favorite author" until I pick up a book by another writer . . .

3. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    If they were written before 1950, then they must talk about obscure topics? What is the subject being discussed in those books, assuming it's non-fiction? If it's fiction then I'm sure it's one of those old novels, am I right?

4. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I like Linda Goodman, but they are not books I concentrate on but browse through. I don't have a favorite author, but if pressed, I would say Oscar Wilde as his work is still witty today as back then it was tongue in cheek and some people frowned upon it.

5. thatnewmommy

thatnewmommyActive Member

Threads:
    I cant say I have a favorite, although I have many from Stephen King and another repeated author is Sue Grafton. LOL I also jumped at the chance to buy an anthology from Poe. But, I do have a favorite genre and it is not romantic dramas. LOL

6. Feneth

FenethActive Member

Threads:
    JD Robb for Mystery
    Anne Bishop for darkly detailed fantasy worlds.
    CE Murphy for urban fantasy (specifically the Negotiator Trilogy. Love the gargoyle!)
    Terry Prachett for lighter fantasy/humor.
    Chelsea Quinn Yarbro for historical romance (actually, historical paranormal romance).
    Shannon K Butcher is writing my current favorite paranormal romance books (The Sentinal Wars series) but this favorite is subject to change because I often get bored with long-running romance series books.

7. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    There are numerous good self-help and motivational books written before 1950 whose relevance will never fade. A good example is a book titled, "Think and Grow Rich."

"think and Grow rich has been used by millions of business leaders around the world to create a concrete plan for success"

As for old fiction, I like it better than contemporary fiction. The writers back then were very good at their stuff.

8. Flowerpower

FlowerpowerMember

Threads:
    My favorite author has always been Stephen King, he has a way of way of writing that just immerses me completely in his stories. I can't recommend him enough.
    A second favorite is Agatha Christie, I've gone through all her books and never found one that i didn't enjoy reading.

9. dyanmarie25

dyanmarie25Active Member

Threads:
    That's a pretty tough question because I have so many favorite authors. Well, maybe I could just give you my top five favorite authors.

1. J.D. Salinger
    2. F. Scott Fitzgerald
    3. Sylvia Plath
    4. Ernest Hemingway
    5. John Steinbeck

10. tipoywizard

tipoywizardActive Member

Threads:
    Yes, I have some favorite book authors. I like Nicholas Sparks romantic novels. I am an absolute fan of J.K. Rowlings Harry Potter series. I also like J.R.R. Tolkien Lord of the Rings trilogy as well as the Hobbit.

11. Aladar

AladarWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Probably Neil Gaiman. Not in the sense of being super crazy about him and reading every book right as it releases, but I did read most of his stuff and I haven't found a book that I wouldn't like yet, which is saying something. Other than that, I do like works of Terry Pratchett and to lesser extent, R.A. Salvatore.

12. xTinx

xTinxWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I have a thing for psychological, philosophical, historical, mystery and magical realist plots so the books I read exhibit some if not all of these qualities. Taking these into consideration, it is therefore not surprising why I'm enamored by these authors: Haruki Murakami, Anne Rice, John Green, Victoria Holt, Gabriel Garcia Marquez, Isabel Allende and George R.R. Martin.

13. clairebeautiful

clairebeautifulActive Member

Threads:
    I'm not usually entertained nor challenged enough by the so-called "fan fiction" writers who crank out 2-3 books a year. I have several favorite books, but it is hard to name a favorite author.

I like David Sedaris, Malcolm Gladwell, John Irving, and Mitch Albom. With the exception of Irving these authors predominantly write non-fiction.

14. IcyFirefly

IcyFireflyActive Member

Threads:
    My favorite authors are Charlotte Bronte of Jane Eyre, and Jane Austen of Pride and Prejudice. I don't read too many modern novels or books. I love classic.

15. missbishi

missbishiWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I don't think I could choose just one author but my favourites include George Orwell, William Burroughs, Irvine Welsh and J.D. Sainger. As you can see, I prefer a grittier read.

16. DreekLass

DreekLassWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Hmmmm. This is a tough one because I do not read published books very often anymore. I think that the last published book that I read was one of the Private Series books, and it was brilliantly written. But I'd have to say that my favorite author, so far, has got to be Sista Soulja. Her words really bring to life the world on the page. It's amazing.

17. LeopardJones

LeopardJonesActive Member

Threads:
    It’s always nice to encounter fellow fans of Haruki Murakami and Linda Goodman. Murakami is my latest favorite. I’m just finishing up The Wind-Up Bird Chronicle, and while I still prefer 1Q84,t I’ve enjoyed this one almost as much.

Ohter authors I love include Douglas Adams, Tom Robbins, Bret Easton Ellis, and Kurt Vonnegut. I also have a habit of reading a couple of books by an author and loving those books, but then I’ll neglect to look into their other work. Philip K. Dick and Neil Gaiman come to mind. That list would probably go on for days, though.

18. Lushlala

LushlalaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I am a very avid reader and like a bit of everything, really. My favourite genres are suspense thrillers, crime, biographies and modern romance for a quick, lighter read. Among authors whose work I enjoy are the late Sidney Sheldon, Thomas Hardy, Mark Twain, Charles Dickens and John Grisham. One of my favourite books of all time is The Mayor of Casterbridge by Thomas Hardy

I keep hearing good things about Anne Rice, I should probably give her a try!

19. janemariesayed

janemariesayedActive Member

Threads:
    Phillippa Gregory is one of my favourites along with Dan Brown and Manda Scott. When I was a child I used to enjoy Enid Blyton and read all of her books avidly.

20. overcast

overcastActive Member

Threads:
    I love reading horror and thriller content. So my natural inclination is towards stephen king's books. He seems to have managed to get some good books so far. And also the amount of content in that genre. He just made it really good. I think it'd read similar type of authors in this genre. For me it seems to be good enough.