Do You Have A Favorite Brand And Type Of Pen?

Discussion in Office Supplies started by sidney • Apr 11, 2014.

1. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I remember during the 90's, brand name Pens like Parker, Montblanc, Cross, etc. where all the rage. Nowadays, since we have advanced in technology, they don't seem to be as popular anymore, and now the "rage" is owning the newest gadget that comes out.

So I'm wondering if any of you are into or was once into collecting those branded pens? If not, do you at least have a favorite brand of pens? If yes, which brand/s? Do you prefer the regular ballpen or the sign pen type? Because I noticed that my handwriting looks better depending on the ballpen that I use. I swear it looks better on those faintly-inked ballpens rather than on those sign pens or on those thickly-inked writing pens.

#1Apr 11, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 11, 2014
  2. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I have no preferences when it comes to pens. Actually I don't use pens much for writing since I'm learning how to draw. Because of that I use pencils for everything — draw, write . . . whatever.

When I did a lot of writing on paper, before I fell in love with art, I primarily used fountain pens for writing. But even then, I bought any fountain pen I could find. Brand names meant nothing to me.

3. Richiee

RichieeNew Member

Threads:
    No, I don't collect ballpens. And yes, I do have my favorite brands of pens. I'd have to pick the ballpen over the sign pen because sign pens usually leave traces at the back of the paper, and I hate those kind of things because it makes my notes dirty and cluttered.

My favorite brands of pen are the Pilot, and the local BW pen. For the Pilot pen, I like their new friction type pen because I can erase misspelled words. For the BW pen, I like its ink because its like a sign pen, but it doesn't leave traces like usual sign pens do. Being a student of engineering, I was taught to take pride in the way I write.

One of the professors I had in the past used to say that the best way to distinguish an engineer from other people is by looking at their hand writing. Those words remained engraved in my heart. Which is why I usually spend my nights rewriting my notes in engineering lettering. It has been an advantage for me because I usually remember my lectures clearly and I'm more inspired to study when I see my clean set of lecture notes. :)

4. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Same here, I also don't like it when the ink of the pen smears the back of the paper, so I prefer a ball pen. It's quite dirty to look at too, especially when the paper is thin. And it's cheaper than sign pens too.

5. jneanz

jneanzActive Member

Threads:
    There is a model of Pentel pens that have an awesome design and feel good in you hand while writing. Next to that are Pilot pens and I like Sharpies for illustrations.
    I was never into high-end stationery until the mid-90s. I temped for a company called Itoya that offered a wide range of products. When my last day arrived, I was presented the most gorgeous gold tone pen. It felt different than most pens but these days, I need to replace the ink because I seldom took it out of its casing.

6. Sly14Cat

Sly14CatActive Member

Threads:
    My favorite type is the 2009 model Bic pens. They work really well and rarely die (run out of ink). You get a lot for a cheap price, and there's even an Amazon offer where you can get 60 for $3. I'll link it if you guys want.

7. Strykstar

StrykstarActive Member

Threads:
    This might be too specific but my favorite pen is the Pilot G-2, it's just so comfortable to write with that I try to always have one available at home and at work.

8. jewel777

jewel777Active Member

Threads:
    I don't really have a favorite brand of pen, but I do like the gel tipped ones. The one I'm using right now is made by Sensa, don't know the model number though. It just feels really good in my hand. I can write with it for a long time before it gets too uncomfortable. I don't know how long it's going to last before I have to replace it though.

9. wander_n_wonder

wander_n_wonderActive Member

Threads:
    I don't really like the branded pens such as Parker or Cross because I find them a bit heavy to use. I would only be using it to sign documents but that's it. If I use it for regular writing, my hand gets so tired right away. I prefer using regular pens for regular work.

I have always been fond of Bic pens because of the thick point and the ink is always so smooth. I'm just glad that they never really face it out.

10. 003

003Well-Known Member

Threads:
    The pen that I use is Pilot gtec. It has been my custom pen since I was in high school. It's not that I really like. It's just that I find it's writing very suitable for me. I got already accustomed writing with it. In fact, I get quite new to writing if I were not using it. I feel like I don't know how to write. I am most comfortable with that pen, than with any other else.

11. Parker

ParkerWell-Known Member

Threads:
    It's not to specific for me. This is one of my favorite pens too. I have to use fine point, blue ink. I love these pens because the ink flows evenly and they aren't too thin. My carpel tunnel injury prevents me from using really thin ballpoint pens.

12. plantain

plantainMember

Threads:
    My absolute favorite pen is the Pentel R.S.V.P. in 0.7mm. It writes so smoothly and is comfortable in my hand. It's not the cheapest, but it's cheap.

I was just thinking about milky pens from the '90s today! We used to draw on our arms with them and teachers would get mad. I wonder if you can even buy them anymore. I've only seen dark gel type pens, not pastel, recently.

13. H.C. Heartland

H.C. HeartlandActive Member

Threads:
    My husband absolutely loves Zebra pens. He has a specific point number too but I can not remember it off hand. I believe they are re-fillable pens but he never refills that I know of, he just throws out the empties and then buys new. They are the 'click type' pen which I like because you do not have to take off a cap and then worry about loosing it. But my husband says he likes it because of the way it writes.

14. Annabell

AnnabellActive Member

Threads:
    While I'll use any kind of pen going, I really do like the Bic Micro line of pens. I like the small fine writing that they produce, and they just fit so well into my hands.

15. pfaemaster

pfaemasterMember

Threads:
    For me, Fisher Space Pens are hands down the best bet. If you want a really unique pen, get a Fisher Millennium Space Pen. It is guaranteed to never run out of ink for the owners lifetime. It can write a line over 30 miles long which will last the average person 80 years or more. I can't speak to 80 years but I have been constantly using mine for almost 8 solid months. It hasn't run out of ink yet and I don't think it will in my lifetime.

It costs $85 here and you can get it engraved with your name if you wanted to. I also suggest the x-750 model. Plus, each and every Fisher Space Pen comes with a lifetime guarantee. How's that for good quality?

16. DesignerMum

DesignerMumActive Member

Threads:
    Felt Tip and The Regulars

There are two brands that are quite easy to use: BIC and Kenko. I used to get them in small boxes of a dozen or less from the school suppliers. For note taking and regular use, not for drawing or art sketches, they have their value. I don't go around looking for them specifically from the book stores, but when I see them I would buy them for later uses.

Felt tip pens are handy and I like to stock them up. They can be really useful. Regular ball point pens with gel ink will also do. I think Pilot has a variety of ball point pens. However, if it's just for note taking, I prefer the felt tip ones. They force me to write in larger sizes. It's a good idea to have a few options available for different purposes, like proof reading, note taking, sketching, and making annotations.

#16Oct 24, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 24, 2014
  17. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I prefer Uni-ball gel pens, although they don't always last long, I know they are reliable. I use a lot of pens for writing and like to buy in bulk and the Sharpie pen was disappointing and not cheap.

I know there are other gel pens around and some are good and others aren't, but Pilot rollerballs are a favorite too whenever I can find them.

18. Squigly

SquiglyActive Member

Threads:
    I stick with Pilot ball pens, especially their G2 model. While the pen itself might be a bit pricey relative to other gel pens, the refills are pretty cheap. I also find their quality to be among the best, the ink comes out nicely without smudging and the pen never dries out.

19. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    $85 is too steep for me, I guess that's the pen that only rich people can afford. I'd rather spend that $85 on some electronic item. ;)

I googled the most popular choice that is the Pilot G-2 pens, and it's advertised in Ebay as the best selling pen in the US. I guess it's that good. The price is quite affordable for 5 pens at $6.28.

20. Onionman

OnionmanActive Member

Threads:
    I certainly don't have a favorite type of pen. In fact, I find myself never buying pens because I always seem to pick up pens for free! It's quite bizarre. The amount of pens I've got from hotels, seminars and so on that I've collected is too numerous. I used to like Parker pens but now I'm not bothered with it any more.