Do you have a lawn?

Discussion in Home & Garden started by Nate5 • Dec 9, 2014.

1. Nate5

Nate5Member

Threads:
    I've been hearing a lot of news and articles about how useless and wasteful it is for houses to have a lawn. It's nothing more than some sort of statement of wealth. Not to mention that keeping it watered and green is a lot of hard work. I myself have converted around half of my backyard and half of my front lawn into a garden. I get some delicious home grown food, and the flowers keep bees busy. Have you guys done the same with your lawns? If you're keeping your lawn, why? Are there any other suggestions you have for good use of this space?

2. TheViper

TheViperActive Member

Threads:
    Never heard of this whole distaste of lawn thing going on. As most would assume that if you have a garden then you must have a lawn to some degree. I think that lawns are pretty good for soaking up moisture and in some cases help prevent flooding. I know that in one neighborhood none of the people had lawns or grass. The end up having a huge flood problem when it rains but in my neighborhood. Even if it rains for five hours straight the only thing you will see is a little puddle.

3. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    We do have a lawn in our front yard, and it also has some flowers and plants planted on it. My dad hires someone to cut the grass in the lawn, so I guess it's pretty easy to maintain.

4. Mockingbird

MockingbirdActive Member

Threads:
    At my home I have both lawn and planted areas with flowers and food. I try to keep it all eco balanced for the creatures that live in the area and for my family. the lawn serves a practical purpose as both an outside carpet and a designated place to put things like snow in the winter months. In the summer lawns provide moisture for the air while drawing water out of the ground. This helps protect the homes foundation. It helps to prevent rot, if the lawn is maintained correctly it also helps to keep plants that could be harmful away from the living area.

5. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    My parents have a lawn at the front and the back and they are small enough so my father can maintain them. They were bigger at one point, but made the back one smaller to fit in a greenhouse and shed. The lawn is nice, because it's a good place to hang the laundry and also for children to play on. I think as long as you able to cut the lawn and maintain it then it adds space to a home.

6. valiantx

valiantxActive Member

Threads:
    Yes I do have a lawn, and it is a waste of time watering and maintaining it only for looks. Honestly, the reason why I ave planted a garden as a replacement for my lawn is that I want to install a fence first around it. At my old house, it had a metal fence surround the whole front yard area and had a closing gate so no human or animals could easily trespass - this allowed me to plat various fruit trees and garden without worrying about it being trampled on or stolen easily. However, in my current home, I garden in the backyard instead.

7. blueeyes

blueeyesActive Member

Threads:
    I have both a lawn and a garden. I did remove part of the lawn in my side yard to make the garden bigger but the grass in the front and back will stay. I do decorate around the grass with perennials and some potted plants. I like the look of grass and very rarely do I water it. I let mother nature take care of it.

8. akiii123

akiii123Active Member

Threads:
    We had a lawn few years ago and then we had to cut it off because it is too difficult to maintain. I usually love the lawn. But the cost of maintaining it is just too high.

9. goldenmaine

goldenmaineActive Member

Threads:
    We have our lawn as a scenic view for our porch and a vegetable garden in which we sometimes get our food. We designed it in a way that would be relaxing to look at with a fountain and some very beautiful flowers. We also have vegetables that are grown in the lawn for sustainable food. Sometimes we also host parties in the area and also do some sports activities and exercises that benefit the whole family.