Do you have a set budget per person you buy Christmas gifts for?

Discussion in Seasonal & Holidays started by Sweetkymom • Oct 4, 2014.

1. Sweetkymom

SweetkymomActive Member

Threads:
    I have a set amount figured out per each of my kids $200 and $100 for my mother & mother in law. I get my brother and sister a Giftcard while my nieces and nephews budget are right around $25-$30 each. I try clearance shopping most of the time to come out ahead but it always doesn't work.

I'm putting all my online working funds together to what I hope a better Christmas ever this year.

2. Sugarhill

SugarhillActive Member

Threads:
    No. I just love buying gifts and if you're one of the people I'd buy for, I buy until I'm satisfied with what I'm giving you. People love being on my shopping list!

3. forextraspecialstuff

forextraspecialstuffActive Member

Threads:
    I don't really have a set budget. What I try to do is find something that I think the recipient will love and would never buy for themselves. Then I pretty much just make a decision as to whether or not I should buy it. With that being said I have never spent more than $500 on any one person for Christmas. I guess in some ways I have a very loose budget in my head for people but I don't really stick to it.

4. pjazzy48

pjazzy48New Member

Threads:
    I used to go crazy with gift buying at Christmas when my kids were little. It took me a few years to realize that most of the gifts I gave them were never used, and I'm talking toys here. So when they reached their later teens I decided to stick to a budget, usually $200 per kid (I have 2). Along with that I also decided to only get them things that they really needed and would use, and one thing they really wanted. It was tough to do at first because I always made such a production out of giving them everything and anything the asked for, but I finally realized the season is not all about the gifts and I concentrate more on the meaning and the feeling of it. My kids appreciate that too.

#4Oct 7, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 7, 2014
  5. lrd913

lrd913Active Member

Threads:
    Same here! I've bought my niece countless things that are never used again after she uses them on Christmas morning. I usually don't set a budget per person, but I do set a gift limit. I usually either do a few small gifts or one large purchase.

I try to buy gifts that I think someone would want, but wouldn't purchase for themselves. I bought my mother a really nice pair of earrings last year and she loved them. I'd never really saw her buy anything for herself like that before, so I'm glad that she ended up really loving them.

I have two older sisters and for one I usually buy do dinner & movie gift cards. I figure that they can have a date night, and I'll once and awhile include an IOU for me to babysit my niece.

I don't know if I could set a strict budget limit or not. I feel like I'd either always go over it or I wouldn't know what to purchase anymore.

6. xTinx

xTinxWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I am not sure whether I set a budget or not. If I haven't given a birthday present to the person in question, I will try to give a more expensive Christmas gift. Sometimes, instead of a Christmas gift, I buy them lunch and dinner at some fancy restaurant (and that's because my birthday is three days before Christmas). When I happen to be free of such obligations, $5 per person would do.

7. kwriter93

kwriter93Member

Threads:
    I usually set a budget of $250 for my husband and he does the same for me. As for everyone else, our family extends far and wide and they all expect (yes, I said expect :confused: ) Christmas gifts. So, for everyone else excluding my siblings and parents, I set a budget of $5 per person. My parents both get gifts that cost around $30 a piece and my brother and sister will get something at about $15-$20 a piece. It's so hard to buy really nice things for everybody , if I were to get all of my extended family gifts that costed $20+ a piece, I would be B-R-O-K-E. They can enjoy my company and let that be an addition to their small gift. :)

8. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I normally don't buy gifts for adults. All the Christmas gifts I buy are for the kids of those people I'd have got gifts for — nieces, nephews, and one or two neighbors kids. I usually budget for the gifts in general but not for the individual [kids] who will get the gifts because at times when I have a surprise guest accompanied with kids [comes to stay with me for Christmas], I have to dash off to see what [gift] I can find for them.

For me the budget isn't set in stone. I adjust it as circumstances demand.

9. ExpertAdvice

ExpertAdviceActive Member

Threads:
    I really do not have a set budget when giving gifts to persons in the Christmas season whether they be kids, teens or adults. Whatever I think the person will like, I will buy for them, and when I have a lot more money :) I just ask them what they would like for Christmas and I buy it! :-D I think surprises are good when speaking of gifts, so, I will tend to save and buy them gifts, rather than asking them what they would like. I love the festive of Christmas! I can still remember all my gifts that I got for Christmas, that's how much Christmas impacts me!

10. 003

003Well-Known Member

Threads:
    I have a general budget for all the person to whom I would be giving gifts. But it's flexible. If the budget for an item that I want to give to that person gets of out range, and I really want to give that gift, I buy it and just decrease the cost of the gift that I would buy for another person, if I really couldn't find a good gift that I would really want to give him. The thing is I have a set budget and that's for all, not for individual.