Do you have a survival kit in your home?

Discussion in Home & Garden started by andrew320 • Nov 27, 2012.

1. andrew320

andrew320Active Member

Threads:
    My fiancee and I have been building a survival kit in our home since the summer. We have tons of one-litre water bottles, we purchased some cans of food, we purchased some survival kits for health and safety and a bunch of other stuff.

Friends and colleagues of mine think I'm crazy, but I don't see what's wrong with having one as a just in case measure. The people who were affected by Hurricane Sandy didn't prepare and look what happened.

Thoughts?

2. dissn_it

dissn_itActive Member

Threads:
    Better to be safe than sorry! I have had to live for five days during a cold, snowy winter without power before and it was not fun. Since then, I have tried to always have enough stored away for at least a week. If something should happen, you will be very glad that you have prepared and your friends will be regretting that they didn't.

3. SpringBreeze

SpringBreezeActive Member

Threads:
    I used to have one years ago. But then I started moving around. And so I had to get rid of it. But I did keep my survival book. It's a book I created with a bunch of survival tips. It has everything in it, from easy recipes to how to deliver a baby without a doctor. I grew up in Florida, hurricane central; and so I've learned the hard way why it's good to be prepared.

4. alc89

alc89Active Member

Threads:
    I would love to start one! I have a bunch of canned foods, but it's for myself - not for a survival kit. Before Hurricane Sandy, we bought some new pitchers to fill up with clean water. So, in total, we have about 4 pitchers to use. It's much better than having bottles and bottles of water all around, to be honest. We have a flashlight and a portable battery generator. The generator was a great purchase; it can help jump start cars, and it has outlets so you can plug things into it. It's rechargeable - so before any trips or any emergencies (like Hurricane Sandy), we plug it in and make sure it's fully charged.

Hurricane Sandy thankfully did not do much damage in my area. But, it's a good reminder that I should start being prepared for everything!

5. hunysukle

hunysukleActive Member

Threads:
    Unfortunately, I do not. I move around so much, I try to keep as few things as possible. I don't think I would even be able to afford a survival kit even if I wanted one.

6. Ryder13

Ryder13Active Member

Threads:
    It is sort of like the old motto Be Prepared. I have a buddy who has urged me to put something together, in a backpack and something for the back of the truck.
    He has a bit of a survivalist mindset, more than I do. But I consider it a good idea and I guess it can be done in various degrees of seriousness, cost and duration built in.
    Anyway, something that I think is worth considering, especially a short duration kit.

7. andrew320

andrew320Active Member

Threads:
    Thank you for the responses.

For those worried about the costs, it wouldn't be that expensive to build one for, let's say, one week, like Ryder13 suggested. Aside from the food, you can get a lot of the stuff at your local dollar store or eBay. We have the Swiss Army Knife, flashlights, compass, water, small denominations, etc. Again, aside from the food and the cash, it has cost us $10 thus far.

8. tosaytheleast

tosaytheleastActive Member

Threads:
    We have first aid kit! :) I don't think we could consider it survival kit but yes, survival kit should really be in our home. We could never know when disasters will come so it is good to be always ready.

9. PubD

PubDMember

Threads:
    I have the start of one... a first aid kit with some other things added. It's not under the bed or anything. I keep it with the camping gear in the garage. But I really should be more prepared, I suppose.

10. blurinoctober

blurinoctoberActive Member

Threads:
    I don't think it's crazy! If you went on in hysterics about how the world is ending, I could see a coworker saying that, but not for simply putting together a survival kit. I need to start picking some stuff up to put one together. You never know what could happen!

11. JessiFox

JessiFoxActive Member

Threads:
    I actually do not have one at the moment...but I've been wanting to get some things for a 72 hour kit. I don't think that's crazy at all! To me, that's just being responsible. Like having fire alarms and security systems, etc. You never know what can happen, and it doesn't hurt at all to be prepared.

12. maddie

maddieActive Member

Threads:
    I don't have it all put together.. but most of the stuff is there.. and needs some more stocking up... I never really worried so much about disasters ... but some natural disasters recently made me think in terms of disaster management and the number of others who maybe helped by my planning... I need to get serious about this..

13. Jessi

Jessi<a href="http://www.quirkycookery.com">QuirkyCooke

Threads:
    Oh absolutely.

Technically I have multiple survival kits. I keep various first aid kits throughout the house, my car, the office, etc... I keep food stocked. I also have things like extra blankets and water/food tucked into my car for winter emergencies.

14. ChanellG

ChanellGActive Member

Threads:
    We always have certain supplies on hand during hurricane season as you can be left without electricity or access to water and food, etc. When I think of survival gear and supplies, I think of roughing it out in the wilderness. I've never thought about having a survival kit for my home; I just can't imagine what would happen that I would need those kinds of survival supplies.

15. Winnie

WinnieActive Member

Threads:
    I totally agree that survival kits are needed. One never knows when those things that you have stored will come in handy. It could be during a serious storm like Sandy, or a run of the mill power outage, or a random water pipe bursting, where you will need access to stored supplies. Good idea.

16. deansaliba

deansalibaActive Member

Threads:
    I do not have one and to be honest the food part of it would not last very long in my house. I have to have the Christmas food delivered as close to Christmas Day as possible otherwise it will get eaten before Christmas Eve! :D

17. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    We haven't really thought of having a survival kit in our home, maybe because we have never experienced being a victim of any natural calamity, not even a minor flood. And we live pretty close to the mall too, so everything we need is just a stone's throw away from our home.

18. johne123

johne123New Member

Threads:
    Hi ! fiends i want to give the ans of your question i have no any survival kit in my home . but i want it really .
    l

19. ohiotom76

ohiotom76Well-Known Member

Threads:
    My parents are neurotic about this with their cars. They pack everything under the sun in their cars. Pretty much every possible compartment in the car is packed with 10 bottles of de-icer, 5 sets of jumper cables, straws, napkins, snacks, bottled waters, band aids, pens, pencils, tape, etc... it's insane. They used to do this to my car when I lived with them, I couldn't even put anything in the trunk when I would go shopping because it was filled with so much of this crap.

20. Rzashida

RzashidaActive Member

Threads:
    Everyone needs a survival kit. I discovered this after my husband lost his job. If we had been prepared for any emergency than life would have been easier. I defiantly will keep one for now on, unemployment is harsh.